The Student Room Group

Filling my ucas reference!

I’m applying at home and want to send my reference to a past tutor! It shows that to do this I need to ask them for the colleges buzzword however my teacher said that if I’m applying independently I’m not supposed to put a buzzword. The ucas video shows that if my chosen reference is NOT from a school or college then I can put their details down through the reference section, however my reference is from a college? So what do I do? Please help!
To link your application to the school ('link to centre') you need the school buzzword - phone up the school and ask to speak to whoever actually does the admin on UCAS applications, not your teacher.

Yes, you can get a reference simply by adding your teacher's email and do this 'privately', but linking to the school gets you the advantage of someone checking your PS, and getting any contextual offers linked to the school.
I applied after a gap year and got my old head of sixth form to do it, didn’t need a buzzword. I emailed and asked and he took a while but did it for me and sent it off. UCAS emails them when you provide their email, and they send it in that way. You’re not a student at that school/college so you don’t need their buzzword
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
To link your application to the school ('link to centre') you need the school buzzword - phone up the school and ask to speak to whoever actually does the admin on UCAS applications, not your teacher.

Yes, you can get a reference simply by adding your teacher's email and do this 'privately', but linking to the school gets you the advantage of someone checking your PS, and getting any contextual offers linked to the school.

This is very helpful thank you
im also a gap year student. my school gave a buzzword, so its not counted as an independent applicant.
Reply 5
Original post by qwertuyuyuy
im also a gap year student. my school gave a buzzword, so its not counted as an independent applicant.

Hi, I asked my teacher for the buzzword and she seemed confused🙄 she said I don’t put a buzzword if I’m applying independently even though the website says I can. Maybe I should’ve asked the college but surely she should know I can apply independently with a buzzword. So I decided to put her details down instead... did you just ask the college for the buzzword? And what happened after that? If you could let me know :smile:
Original post by Ellienixon1
Hi, I asked my teacher for the buzzword and she seemed confused🙄 she said I don’t put a buzzword if I’m applying independently even though the website says I can. Maybe I should’ve asked the college but surely she should know I can apply independently with a buzzword. So I decided to put her details down instead... did you just ask the college for the buzzword? And what happened after that? If you could let me know :smile:

so basically,
you can apply independently with a referee
or
you can apply with a school.
so i was actually meant to apply independently which does not need a buzzword however, you need the referee details.
but then my teacher randomly gave me a buzzword i don't fall under "independent application"

you dont need buzzword as you are applying independently, you just have to fill the referee info and they will get a link and then do the reference. if dont know your teacher's details just ask them. once your teacher has done your reference you can pay and send it off. that's what my brother did. (teacher didnt give him a buzzword lol
Reply 7

Just a question, what happens after I put the buzzword, will the teacher that I asked be the one who’s dealing with my reference?
Reply 8
so basically,
you can apply independently with a referee
or
you can apply with a school.
so i was actually meant to apply independently which does not need a buzzword however, you need the referee details.
but then my teacher randomly gave me a buzzword i don't fall under "independent application"

you dont need buzzword as you are applying independently, you just have to fill the referee info and they will get a link and then do the reference. if dont know your teacher's details just ask them. once your teacher has done your reference you can pay and send it off. that's what my brother did. (teacher didnt give him a buzzword lol

thank you very much :smile:
thank you very much :smile:

deadline is close hurry. teachers can be a pain when replying to emails. what are you applying for
deadline is close hurry. teachers can be a pain when replying to emails. what are you applying for

Ugh tell me about it, I know I’m trying my best to get it done before the deadline! I’m applying for criminology
Ugh tell me about it, I know I’m trying my best to get it done before the deadline! I’m applying for criminology

im guessing you are a gap year student from 2020?
im guessing you are a gap year student from 2020?

I am yes :smile: Hopefully I can go to uni this year
I am yes :smile: Hopefully I can go to uni this year

same here. got trash CAG's lol. redid and got results. beginning of January
same here. got trash CAG's lol. redid and got results. beginning of January

Ah, I believe mine weren’t high either, I’m hoping you improved?
Just a question, what happens after I put the buzzword, will the teacher that I asked be the one who’s dealing with my reference?

Its goes to the school portal - then its up to your school exactly how they organise references.
Ah, I believe mine weren’t high either, I’m hoping you improved?

yea ofc ofc.

Spoiler

yea ofc ofc.

Well done and good luck with everything
Its goes to the school portal - then its up to your school exactly how they organise references.

Ah okay, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending