The Student Room Group

Is this a good combination of subjects for A levels?

I want to do maths, further maths, physics, and chemistry at A level - I'm hoping to study physics at uni. Would this be a good combination? I'm predicted a 9 in maths, physics, and chemistry at GCSE.
Original post by Me_Mayo
I want to do maths, further maths, physics, and chemistry at A level - I'm hoping to study physics at uni. Would this be a good combination? I'm predicted a 9 in maths, physics, and chemistry at GCSE.

If you enjoy them, yes.
Reply 2
Original post by RogerOxon
If you enjoy them, yes.

I absolutely love them all - I was just worried that people seemed to say that the workload would be too intense...
Original post by Me_Mayo
I absolutely love them all - I was just worried that people seemed to say that the workload would be too intense...

It'll be fine. I only recommend four if you're doing Maths and FM, as you are.
Original post by Me_Mayo

Those sound good to me
In my sixth form, I know quite a few people doing that combination. And it seems like a good combination anyways
Reply 6
Original post by RogerOxon
It'll be fine. I only recommend four if you're doing Maths and FM, as you are.

Thank you! Our school tells everyone to choose four, but most people drop down to three at the end of year 12
Reply 7
Original post by Me_Mayo

yep, that is a really good combo. i do these subjects as well and i am applying for physics. they are good facilitating subjects and if u can, keep all 4 in year 13, as it could be advantageous when applying to top unis.
Reply 8
Original post by Emma:-)
Those sound good to me

Thank you!
Reply 9
Original post by ApplePiePanda
In my sixth form, I know quite a few people doing that combination. And it seems like a good combination anyways

Thank you for your advice :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Alif91
yep, that is a really good combo. i do these subjects as well and i am applying for physics. they are good facilitating subjects and if u can, keep all 4 in year 13, as it could be advantageous when applying to top unis.

Thank you so much! I hope you get into the uni of your dreams :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Me_Mayo
Thank you so much! I hope you get into the uni of your dreams :smile:

thank you lots! and you too, good luck with ur gcses and a levels!
Reply 12
Original post by Alif91
thank you lots! and you too, good luck with ur gcses and a levels!

Thank you!
Original post by Me_Mayo

Screw everyone else! Do what you love :u:
Reply 14
Original post by hootdoot04
Screw everyone else! Do what you love :u:

Okay, thank you!
Thank you all for your advice and support :smile:
Original post by Me_Mayo

That is EXACTLY what I'm doing for A level. I'm in year 13 and got 9s in maths, physics and chemistry at GCSE. Workload is certainly higher than for other combinations but the mechanics side of maths (and further maths if your school does the mechanics sections) really overlaps with physics which reduces it a bit. There's also a small overlap with phys and chem. Highly recommended, I've applied to do maths and physics at uni.
Reply 16
Original post by lozzie4476
That is EXACTLY what I'm doing for A level. I'm in year 13 and got 9s in maths, physics and chemistry at GCSE. Workload is certainly higher than for other combinations but the mechanics side of maths (and further maths if your school does the mechanics sections) really overlaps with physics which reduces it a bit. There's also a small overlap with phys and chem. Highly recommended, I've applied to do maths and physics at uni.

Thank you for the insight! Good luck with your uni applications :smile:
Reply 17
It's a good combination - lots of synthesis. I'd say it also depends on how you like revising/working as well - it's good if you like revising through practise questions vs just going over loads of content *cough* biology *cough*.
Reply 18
Original post by yk280
It's a good combination - lots of synthesis. I'd say it also depends on how you like revising/working as well - it's good if you like revising through practise questions vs just going over loads of content *cough* biology *cough*.

I'm glad to hear that there's some overlap between them all :smile: I definitely prefer working through loads of questions to revising massive chunks of content... What subjects do you study/have you studied, if you don't mind me asking?

Quick Reply

Latest