The Student Room Group

UCAS extends January 15th application deadline by two weeks to 29th January 2021

Following the government announcement on Monday, UCAS are extending the 15 January ‘equal consideration’ deadline to 18:00 on 29 January for those students who need it.

They have done this as the additional time allows schools and colleges to support students who don't have access to the relevant remote tools to make alternative arrangements to finish their application. This decision is not only about relieving the pressure on students, but also teachers and UCAS advisors who may be struggling with the implications of schools closing to be able to complete their part of the applications, or do the necessary checks.

What does this mean for me?

- If you've submitted your application, nothing changes!

- If you have yet to submit your application but have the ability to do it at home, keep going to your schedule! Try not let this extension be an excuse to leave it until the last minute, it's there to help those who have difficulty accessing the right equipment to be able to complete it. Try and keep on track with getting it submitted as soon as you feel comfortable. Check in with your teachers or advisors about the time they need and what is your school or colleges internal deadline for them to be able to add on your reference. Good luck!

- If you have yet to submit your application and don't have access to the relevant tools (laptop etc.) to get it done from home, get in contact with your teachers or UCAS advisors as soon as you can to see what provisions can be put in place. They should be able to support you to ensure you'll be able to submit your application by this new deadline. Good luck!

Any questions just let us know!

Are you still writing your UCAS application? Need any help or support?

Ask your questions here!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
I applied to Glasgow university and in my acknowledgement email they said they would give offers out after the 15th of January after they receive all applications. so will offers be given out later now due to the extended deadline?
Original post by hs777
I applied to Glasgow university and in my acknowledgement email they said they would give offers out after the 15th of January after they receive all applications. so will offers be given out later now due to the extended deadline?

Where universities wait until the deadline to make offers yes they are likely to delay things.
Hi, can you share a link to where they have said this? I can't find it anywhere.

Thank you.
Original post by pikachuuuu2
Hi, can you share a link to where they have said this? I can't find it anywhere.

Thank you.

https://twitter.com/ucas_online/status/1346523428350783489
Do all universities have to abide by this? I’ve looked at LSE’s website and the deadline still says 15/01.
Original post by Year12Studentt
Do all universities have to abide by this? I’ve looked at LSE’s website and the deadline still says 15/01.

They just haven't edited their entire website.

UCAS flags whether an applicant is "on time" or "late". Universities can't see the date and time an application arrived with UCAS (only the date and time it arrived to them after UCAS processed it - and deadline applications can take a week to come through from UCAS).

LSE retweeted the UCAS announcement https://twitter.com/StudyLSE/with_replies
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone knows if this extension also applies to PGDE's? It's a postgraduate course but you apply through the undergraduate application on the UCAS website.
Original post by shmyrh
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone knows if this extension also applies to PGDE's? It's a postgraduate course but you apply through the undergraduate application on the UCAS website.

Everything that follows the undergraduate ucas application deadline has been extended.

Ucas sets the deadlines and marks applications as on time or late. Universities can’t opt out or set their own deadlines.
Reply 11
Original post by PQ
Everything that follows the undergraduate ucas application deadline has been extended.

Ucas sets the deadlines and marks applications as on time or late. Universities can’t opt out or set their own deadlines.

Ah okay thank you, I was really worried about this. This gives me extra time to tweak my application!
My application has been ready since before Christmas and the only thing I'm waiting on is my reference. Even though I asked my course tutor at the beginning of December for a reference he still hasn't started. The worst thing is he's dropped a bombshell by saying he's to busy what can I do?

Even with the generous extension my college has still let me down 😭.
Original post by Skymoose
My application has been ready since before Christmas and the only thing I'm waiting on is my reference. Even though I asked my course tutor at the beginning of December for a reference he still hasn't started. The worst thing is he's dropped a bombshell by saying he's to busy what can I do?

Even with the generous extension my college has still let me down 😭.

Ask someone else
Ask your universities if you can apply without a reference (and provide one later)
I know I can substitute my UCAS choice within 14 days of sending it off but does this still stand if I have been given an offer/rejection?
Original post by Year12Studentt
I know I can substitute my UCAS choice within 14 days of sending it off but does this still stand if I have been given an offer/rejection?

Yes but you have to phone ucas to do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending