The Student Room Group

Cheating to get a contextual offer

What's stopping a privately educated rich student buying a house in the poorest neighbourhood in the UK and claiming that he lives there?
Original post by homunculus
What's stopping a privately educated rich student buying a house in the poorest neighbourhood in the UK and claiming that he lives there?

Uni’s use more than one marker to determine contextual eligibility. The school itself would limit their chances of qualifying. No one is going to see the purchase of a house as a wise investment to perhaps get a one grade reduction in an offer.
Your school will know you don't live there. That will raise questions for a start.
And, do you want to spend your entire degree waiting for that tap on the shoulder.
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
Uni’s use more than one marker to determine contextual eligibility. The school itself would limit their chances of qualifying. No one is going to see the purchase of a house as a wise investment to perhaps get a one grade reduction in an offer.

Original post by McGinger
Your school will know you don't live there. That will raise questions for a start.
And, do you want to spend your entire degree waiting for that tap on the shoulder.

I know it's stupid but it was purely a hypothetical question. I was wondering whether someone could pretend to go to a really bad school or live in a really poor area while receiving private tuition...
I know it's stupid but it was purely a hypothetical question. I was wondering whether someone could pretend to go to a really bad school or live in a really poor area while receiving private tuition...

This would not be possible. They can’t pretend to go to another school and then have predicted grades and a reference magically come from a private tutor.
Just remember, Universities are not stupid, and neither are UCAS - and they have seen all of these tricks before.
Loooolll i went private school in a different country and my friends and I we all got contextual offers based on our addresses. It happens a lot and we didn’t even know that we would be flagged for living in “poor” areas. Btw we all got home fees too. They saw we all went to an international school
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Admit-One
This would not be possible. They can’t pretend to go to another school and then have predicted grades and a reference magically come from a private tutor.

Fair enough, good to know!

Original post by Looollll.itsme
Loooolll i went private school in a different country and my friends and I we all got contextual offers based on our addresses. It happens a lot and we didn’t even know that we would be flagged for living in “poor” areas. Btw we all got home fees too. They saw we went school to an international school

Do you mean the "poor" area was in your home country or in the UK?
Fair enough, good to know!

Do you mean the "poor" area was in your home country or in the UK?

I’m from the UK but I lived in Doha for a few years. I go uni in London and I got contextual offer. I was really confused as I went to private school and I didn’t think my home address in the UK was poor but they gave me a contextual offer. Many private school kids also get contextual offers even if they go to a private school.
Reply 9
Original post by Looollll.itsme
I’m from the UK but I lived in Doha for a few years. I go uni in London and I got contextual offer. I was really confused as I went to private school and I didn’t think my home address in the UK was poor but they gave me a contextual offer. Many private school kids also get contextual offers even if they go to a private school.

Ah I see. Well maybe it's based on probability rather than a case-by-case basis, so they gave you the offer instead of investigating further.
Ah I see. Well maybe it's based on probability rather than a case-by-case basis, so they gave you the offer instead of investigating further.

Yeahhh maybe, lots of people in my year did get contextual but Idk I was just grateful.
Just to note that this is an exception rather than the rule. If you are schooled overseas you are much less likely to get a contextual offer as uni’s can’t gather any reliable info about the school’s performance or free school meals quotas etc.

This is why most uni’s use two or more markers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending