The Student Room Group

Chemistry question help:

Hi please could someone help me work out the answer for this and how they got it please as I’m struggling thank you very much :smile:
Using the equation below, If 0.8 grams of NaOH reacts with excess acid, calculate the moles of Na2SO4 made and mass in grams of H2O made
2NaOH + H2SO4 Na2SO4 + 2H2O
What have you started with?
Original post by GabiAbi84
What have you started with?

Not much, I am very confused :frown:
Original post by emilyineedhelp
Hi please could someone help me work out the answer for this and how they got it please as I’m struggling thank you very much :smile:
Using the equation below, If 0.8 grams of NaOH reacts with excess acid, calculate the moles of Na2SO4 made and mass in grams of H2O made
2NaOH + H2SO4 Na2SO4 + 2H2O

The equation shows you 2 moles of NaOH react to form 1 mole Na2SO4
Find the moles of NaOH you have in 0.8 grams (moles=mass/Mr)....double this to find moles Na2SO4

For the water bit of the q.. find the moles of water that will be made, then work out mass of the water by mass=moles x Mr
Original post by emilyineedhelp
Not much, I am very confused :frown:

Okay - to start work out how many moles of NaOH you start off with.
Then you can use the given equation to see the ratio between NaOH and Na2SO4
Original post by Davies Chemistry
Find the moles of NaOH you have in 0.8 grams (moles=mass/Mr)....double this to find moles Na2SO4

For the water bit of the q.. find the moles of water that will be made, then work out mass of the water by mass=moles x Mr

Thank you very much! :smile:
Original post by Davies Chemistry

Hiya I did the first bit and I got 0.04 moles, I think that is correct or it could be 100 moles but I am still a bit confused on the water bit please could you give me a hand thank you :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest