The Student Room Group

Losing fat

Hi so ive been wanting to reduce my body fat percentage for a while now and I've been kinda relying on that idea of 3500 calories is 1 pound of fat. So what I'm doing is doing HIIT workouts twice a day for 5 times a week where I'm on average losing 300 calories a day from that then doing a 30 min arm workout which is about 100 calories lost a day extra which i do 5 times a week so i week i lose 2000 calories alone from exercising and on average a day you lose about 2000 from just general things like sleeping, walking, eating. So a week i lose 16,000 calories and i aim to consume 1500 calories a day except on one day where i can go over and eat crazy so i can keep my sanity so lets say i gain 11,000 from eating. I would have a 5000 calories deficit a week which means i should lose a pound a week. But does it matter what i eat in those 1500 calories a day as long as its less then 1500 or does it have to be healthyand under 1500?
Thank you
Very unlikely you will consistently lose that exact amount. How are you getting those numbers for your workouts? Use a TDEE calculator to estimate how many kcalories you burn a day don't use an average. It doesn't matter for weight loss but for general health and wellbeing you should aim to hace 80% of your food come from 'healthy' sources.
Reply 2
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Very unlikely you will consistently lose that exact amount. How are you getting those numbers for your workouts? Use a TDEE calculator to estimate how many kcalories you burn a day don't use an average. It doesn't matter for weight loss but for general health and wellbeing you should aim to hace 80% of your food come from 'healthy' sources.

My fit bit can tell me. Obviously I won’t be able to it’s more of the idea. Like a hypothetical situation. Yea what I’m saying is if let’s say most days I’d have something bad like pizza but then also have like eggs or a salad or steak at another time of day. Woudlnt that be fine?
Reply 3
Original post by LVSDH
Yea what I’m saying is if let’s say most days I’d have something bad like pizza but then also have like eggs or a salad or steak at another time of day.

Something I would say is that no food is 'bad', so don't categorise foods as 'bad' or 'good' because that way lies peril.

There is nothing wrong in having a pizza.
Original post by LVSDH
My fit bit can tell me. Obviously I won’t be able to it’s more of the idea. Like a hypothetical situation. Yea what I’m saying is if let’s say most days I’d have something bad like pizza but then also have like eggs or a salad or steak at another time of day. Woudlnt that be fine?

No that's inaccurate, use a tdee calculator and don't double count. Yea that would be fine but pizza isn't like bad just other things are healthier.
Reply 5
No that's inaccurate, use a tdee calculator and don't double count. Yea that would be fine but pizza isn't like bad just other things are healthier.

Original post by Kerzen
Something I would say is that no food is 'bad', so don't categorise foods as 'bad' or 'good' because that way lies peril.

There is nothing wrong in having a pizza.

Thank you both
Reply 6
https://www.calculator.net/bmr-calculator.html

Use this to calculate your BMR. Then subtract at least 250 calories from it and stick to that every day while exercising as you do. Use your FitBit, like me to log meals fir a while and see what you can do to stay within your limit of calories. You can eat anything, but you need to eat smart.
Also, sugar is a no-go, reqd this https://efm.net.au/how-to-lose-weight-in-four-weeks/

I do not want to lose weight in four weeks, it will take me more like 6 months, but the advice there is simple.
The only exercise I do atm is 90 minutes of daily very brisk walk. Does the job!

Good luck !
Reply 7
It’s better if you lose weight slowly as you are less likely to put it back in time
Original post by Barsoom
https://www.calculator.net/bmr-calculator.html

Use this to calculate your BMR. Then subtract at least 250 calories from it and stick to that every day while exercising as you do. Use your FitBit, like me to log meals fir a while and see what you can do to stay within your limit of calories. You can eat anything, but you need to eat smart.
Also, sugar is a no-go, reqd this https://efm.net.au/how-to-lose-weight-in-four-weeks/

I do not want to lose weight in four weeks, it will take me more like 6 months, but the advice there is simple.
The only exercise I do atm is 90 minutes of daily very brisk walk. Does the job!

Good luck !

BMR does not take into account the thermic effect of food, Non exercise activity thermogenesis and exercise activity thermogenesis, it is certainly not the number of kcalories you need to eat to maintain your weight. Also nothing wrong with sugar.
Reply 9
BMR does not take into account the thermic effect of food, Non exercise activity thermogenesis and exercise activity thermogenesis, it is certainly not the number of kcalories you need to eat to maintain your weight. Also nothing wrong with sugar

So I can eat sugary things and lose weight as long as I’m making a calorie deficit?
Original post by LVSDH
So I can eat sugary things and lose weight as long as I’m making a calorie deficit?

Yea. Just make sure to keep it in moderation as those things aren't very filling or high in micronutrients.
Reply 11
Yea. Just make sure to keep it in moderation as those things aren't very filling or high in micronutrients.

Alright thank you

Quick Reply

Latest