The Student Room Group

am i going to sixth form help!!!!!

Hello there i am so stressed that my gcse results wouldn't meet their requirements. i chose a level economics business and maths which most sixth form require grade 6 in English language grade 7 in maths and 5 gcse at grade 5 and above. I don't know what has happened to me but ever since my predicted grades were atEnglish language 4English literature 5maths 7biology 6chemistry 6physics 4*geography 4computer science 7Spanish 8*I am starting to panic as teachers said they must near at those numbers that some non gcse related test we have done and it must be based around those. I really do want to get into sixth form but its those that are freaking me out. I know literally 10 to 20 people doing a level subject that beyond their ability. they literally get 3s 4s and possibly 5s and they are so confident but for my grades I am so stressed that I might not get those grades. i don't mind redoing them if they are bad . but what if all sixth form reject.I will try my utmost in getting those grades. so please do suggest whether you would think that I will get into sixth form. at the moment I have been given 3 conditional offers and it seems I can't get lenientcy out of them. also I chose 4 sixth form with only 6 gcse with 5+ including English and 7 in maths which is quite low so I might get into those with my predicted grade close to entry requirements.
Reply 1
Original post by yunus404
Hello there i am so stressed that my gcse results wouldn't meet their requirements. i chose a level economics business and maths which most sixth form require grade 6 in English language grade 7 in maths and 5 gcse at grade 5 and above. I don't know what has happened to me but ever since my predicted grades were atEnglish language 4English literature 5maths 7biology 6chemistry 6physics 4*geography 4computer science 7Spanish 8*I am starting to panic as teachers said they must near at those numbers that some non gcse related test we have done and it must be based around those. I really do want to get into sixth form but its those that are freaking me out. I know literally 10 to 20 people doing a level subject that beyond their ability. they literally get 3s 4s and possibly 5s and they are so confident but for my grades I am so stressed that I might not get those grades. i don't mind redoing them if they are bad . but what if all sixth form reject.I will try my utmost in getting those grades. so please do suggest whether you would think that I will get into sixth form. at the moment I have been given 3 conditional offers and it seems I can't get lenientcy out of them. also I chose 4 sixth form with only 6 gcse with 5+ including English and 7 in maths which is quite low so I might get into those with my predicted grade close to entry requirements.

Hey, look first of all, what do you want to do for A-levels? whatever it is, look at the grade requirements for those subjects, the max you can do for a level is 4 subjects. secondly, relax, stressing out is not going to help you in any way, and I completely understand your situation as I was in your shoes last year when applying. what is important is that you right a really good personal statement (hire someone :wink:), you look for the best sixth forms to apply to for the subjects you want to do and focus on the subjects that you require for your a levels. Last year I really wanted to do maths, further maths, biology and physics, however my science teacher screwed me over, I couldn't do the sciences for a level so I am now doing maths, economics and politics. I am really enjoying it and found it for the best. Now I say this not to scare you but for you to understand that you always need a plan b! Forget about the people who are under achieving, focus on your studies. on top of when you mentioned your predicted grades, in January 2020 I was predicted a 4 for English literature, I was given a 6. So to improve your chances for a higher grade keep working hard even if exams are cancelled, send in extra work, videos, research - whatever- to show your teachers that that predicted grade does not represent you real ability. my Gcse grades were: 4,4,5,5,6,6,6,7,7

I hope this helped:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Dunia111
Hey, look first of all, what do you want to do for A-levels? whatever it is, look at the grade requirements for those subjects, the max you can do for a level is 4 subjects. secondly, relax, stressing out is not going to help you in any way, and I completely understand your situation as I was in your shoes last year when applying. what is important is that you right a really good personal statement (hire someone :wink:), you look for the best sixth forms to apply to for the subjects you want to do and focus on the subjects that you require for your a levels. Last year I really wanted to do maths, further maths, biology and physics, however my science teacher screwed me over, I couldn't do the sciences for a level so I am now doing maths, economics and politics. I am really enjoying it and found it for the best. Now I say this not to scare you but for you to understand that you always need a plan b! Forget about the people who are under achieving, focus on your studies. on top of when you mentioned your predicted grades, in January 2020 I was predicted a 4 for English literature, I was given a 6. So to improve your chances for a higher grade keep working hard even if exams are cancelled, send in extra work, videos, research - whatever- to show your teachers that that predicted grade does not represent you real ability. my Gcse grades were: 4,4,5,5,6,6,6,7,7

4 of sixth form require 7 in maths and 5 english language and 7 gcse at 5+
tell my what you think of personal statement
actually i wanted to do law but i didn't choose it due to a level so i chose economics maths and either business or history not all sixth form offer business a level.
but that was my plan b and didn't got with plan a and plan c is not got school but do apprentiship f school if they don't accept me with my courses.
i got a 5 in english language at year 10 but now at year 11 i dropped to 4. my predicted grade should be 5/6 but f that teacher who is cruel and my physics teacher saying everyone will get 9s. f him.
here's my personal statement what do you think i spent 1 whole night on that:
Unquestionably, I am ---- as mentioned at the commencement of this application, and that I attend ---. As of the school that I attend, I study a variety of subjects at GCSEs all predicted from A*- C acknowledging this is a convenient sixth form as I would be able to excel in my A-levels, and then advance myself into becoming an accountant - my life-dream.

Not long ago, I had a series of GCSE mocks; I identified a plethora of preparation was a key principle about these paramount exams. Specifically, the workload at year 11 immaculately increased in classwork, coursework and homework gradually becoming a mission to meet in line with those specific deadlines.

Gradually, dragging in, day-by-day was GCSEs and there is a limited time that I can do my hobbies; I have a predilection over reading and fitness which I do as a hobby. From these hobbies, it has benefited and improved my skills of communication, self-confidence, problem-solving and responsibility. On the other hand, I have ample compliments from my near friends of being: intelligent, kind, helping, alongside others who have recognized me as a bright person and wise as I develop my skills.

As soon as I saw the virtual opening my pair of eyes were (imminently) glued into this sixth form. How I'd be able to make family, friends and teachers proud of my hard work paying off with unparalleled grades thanks to this superior school. Furthermore, I anticipate achieving 3 A-levels in business, economics and maths, as I progress through the sixth form. Why I have chosen these subjects was that it was suitable for me as all of my skills do correlate into my A level subject from the skills I’ve developed acknowledging these are the courses for me. As I progress through all of my qualifications I’d like to become an investment analyst in order to manage financial records.
Reply 4
Original post by Dunia111

Also you gcse grades did you meet with their entry requirement for your plan b.
Going to a state school with lower entry requirements may be a blessing within itself. I go to a state school, managing A* and A's. State schools are more friendly with minimum entry grades. They let on people to do A-level sciences below their normal entry requirements of a 6-6, I guess they made an exception for our year as it was a MESS last year. Same will be for your year too! But I would be careful, it isn't about getting the grades just to get into the sixth form course its about getting the grades so you're suitable for it. They let girls onto the course with less than the entry requirement and they haven't been able to get above a U the whole year. if you're struggling to make ends meet with your GCSE grades right now, you'll be in for a surprise at a-level.
Reply 6
4 of sixth form require 7 in maths and 5 english language and 7 gcse at 5+
tell my what you think of personal statement
actually i wanted to do law but i didn't choose it due to a level so i chose economics maths and either business or history not all sixth form offer business a level.
but that was my plan b and didn't got with plan a and plan c is not got school but do apprentiship f school if they don't accept me with my courses.
i got a 5 in english language at year 10 but now at year 11 i dropped to 4. my predicted grade should be 5/6 but f that teacher who is cruel and my physics teacher saying everyone will get 9s. f him.
here's my personal statement what do you think i spent 1 whole night on that:
Unquestionably, I am ---- as mentioned at the commencement of this application, and that I attend ---. As of the school that I attend, I study a variety of subjects at GCSEs all predicted from A*- C acknowledging this is a convenient sixth form as I would be able to excel in my A-levels, and then advance myself into becoming an accountant - my life-dream.

Not long ago, I had a series of GCSE mocks; I identified a plethora of preparation was a key principle about these paramount exams. Specifically, the workload at year 11 immaculately increased in classwork, coursework and homework gradually becoming a mission to meet in line with those specific deadlines.

Gradually, dragging in, day-by-day was GCSEs and there is a limited time that I can do my hobbies; I have a predilection over reading and fitness which I do as a hobby. From these hobbies, it has benefited and improved my skills of communication, self-confidence, problem-solving and responsibility. On the other hand, I have ample compliments from my near friends of being: intelligent, kind, helping, alongside others who have recognized me as a bright person and wise as I develop my skills.

As soon as I saw the virtual opening my pair of eyes were (imminently) glued into this sixth form. How I'd be able to make family, friends and teachers proud of my hard work paying off with unparalleled grades thanks to this superior school. Furthermore, I anticipate achieving 3 A-levels in business, economics and maths, as I progress through the sixth form. Why I have chosen these subjects was that it was suitable for me as all of my skills do correlate into my A level subject from the skills I’ve developed acknowledging these are the courses for me. As I progress through all of my qualifications I’d like to become an investment analyst in order to manage financial records.

ok so, your personal statement is good, however it sounds like more of a description about your journey with your studies and GCSEs rather than yourself. Write about what you enjoy what you do in your free time, if you read, what interesting books and for fitness, what kind of exercises or sports. I addition to that, throughout your personal statement you have big words just thrown in here and there, eg: there is no need for the word predilection and then hobby.

You mention that becoming an accountant is your life long dream, what about it interests you, what have you read that maybe links into the profession, why does it interest you so much, also maybe mention what languages you know (if you do). A personal statement is mean to be personal not all about education, hence it is called a personal statement -you- not and educational statement.

take a look at mine:

Originally from Cumbria and now a confirmed Londoner, I’m highly ambitious and an intellectually curious student. I’m bilingual, speaking English and Russian fluently, and have immersed myself in other cultures, such as French and Spanish, throughout my life. As passionate as I am about culture, my real interest is in the sciences: at A Level I intend to study Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Biology. I can think of no finer place at which to pursue them than ----, which has been such a nurturing environment for me so far.
I already have five GCSEs, including a 6 in History and Business Studies and a 7 in English Language, and am taking a further five this year. In particular I’ve enjoyed Maths; I’m fascinated by it as an underlying universal language, governing the logic of all our actions and those of the universe itself. Physics has captivated me since, years ago, as my understanding deepens at GCSE, it has not only illuminated for me the mechanics of the universe, using the same universal language of mathematics, but it also strikes me as the foundational science, concerned as it is with the origin of everything. Biology has likewise amazed me with its revelations about human nature by putting us in our historical, evolutionary context. It also has the power to reveal how we might move forwards, not least by revealing how life on earth habitats, ecosystems, endangered species is affected by global warming.
All of these interests have contributed to my desire to study an Engineering course at university (I’ve aspired to study at Imperial College since I was in Year 6). I’m thoroughly researching my options within that field at present: Computer Engineering, which seems to have an unparalleled relevance in our technological world; Biological Engineering, which offers the chance to experiment practically in pursuit of cures to the worst diseases; possibly even an Aeronautical course which would include an element of Spacecraft Engineering so I will work in NASA. All of these combine practical and theoretical skills and entice me enormously.
Once again, I could not be more excited to realise these aims at ----. Just as the school has been so good to me to date, and will I hope continue to be so, I am determined to be a fine ambassador off and contributor to our community. I’ve belonged to the school choir since Year 7 and delighted in our trips to beautiful sites such as St Paul’s Cathedral and, further afield, in Florence and New York. I’m especially proud of our performance at Carnegie Hall in 2018; it was an honour being in such a prestigious place representing our school. I look forward to remaining a part of the choir in my Sixth Form years.
My love for music carries over into my personal life: I also belong to an out-of-school choir AKA, with which I’ve performed at the Albert Hall, the Lyric Theatre and the BBC. In addition to this, my extracurricular interests include reading (above all Sherlock Holmes, by Arthur C Doyle) and art (amongst my most memorable experiences was touring the Uffizi Gallery in Florence and seeing ‘The Birth of Venus’ and ‘Primavera’ by Botticelli, and I enjoy visiting the National Gallery and Tate museum).
In short, ---- has provided me with both a rigorous education, whilst always being understanding and compassionate. My warm relationship with staff and fellow students has made me the happy, determined and courteous student I am today, and I would relish the chance to finish my journey with the school.
Reply 7
Also you gcse grades did you meet with their entry requirement for your plan b.

my plan b was last minute, but yes it did meet the requirements.

P.S: feel free to borrow some stuff from my personal statement if you need it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending