The Student Room Group

Official Ireland 2021 University applicant thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Thank you so much this has been really helpful :smile:

No problem at all, best of luck 😊😊
Reply 41
I have applied to CEO for graduate medicine from UK. Gamsat 59. If I put UCD down as my first choice for grad medicine and RCSI as my second choice, if I don’t have a high enough Gamsat for UCD, surely all the places will be gone before offering to second choice etc as there are so few places. Can anyone advise please. Are you really only in with a realistic chance of getting your first choice?
Hi, I'm an EU student applying to UCD and UCC and am having a little trouble understanding the CAO handbook. It says under the Qualifications and Assessments section that I have to "briefly describe the examinations" I took in under 200 characters. Does that mean generally describe what the exam is (the German Abitur, in my case) or describe my subjects and results? It all seems a little vague...
Also, I'm about to submit my certificates with a certified translation, and it says to add my CAO Application Number on every page. These are stapled together though, and it is an official document so I'm not sure if they want me to handwrite my number in each corner. I was going to include a typed page with my name and number in the envelope and attach a smaller note to each set of certificates with my number on it; would that be enough? Or do I really have to write on every page of the copies I send in? Can't help but feel that it would look messy and unprofessional.
I really appreciate any help anyone could give me, I'm just trying to make sure I do this correctly! :smile: Thanks a lot in advance!
Original post by emily.th
Hi, I'm an EU student applying to UCD and UCC and am having a little trouble understanding the CAO handbook. It says under the Qualifications and Assessments section that I have to "briefly describe the examinations" I took in under 200 characters. Does that mean generally describe what the exam is (the German Abitur, in my case) or describe my subjects and results? It all seems a little vague...
Also, I'm about to submit my certificates with a certified translation, and it says to add my CAO Application Number on every page. These are stapled together though, and it is an official document so I'm not sure if they want me to handwrite my number in each corner. I was going to include a typed page with my name and number in the envelope and attach a smaller note to each set of certificates with my number on it; would that be enough? Or do I really have to write on every page of the copies I send in? Can't help but feel that it would look messy and unprofessional.
I really appreciate any help anyone could give me, I'm just trying to make sure I do this correctly! :smile: Thanks a lot in advance!

Hi, I applied to UCC from England. I don't remember being asked to 'briefly describe the examinations' but I would imagine that means outline what kind of exams you took (you mention German Abitur), what subjects they were in, and the year you took them. I don't know if the German Abitur is the equivalent of GCSEs (Irish Junior Cert) or A Levels (Irish Leaving Cert), but you should mention all public exams you have taken.

When submitting certificates, you should get a photocopy of each certificate, send this to your school, and get them to sign and stamp it to prove these are accurate results (and that you haven't make them up). You then need to write your full name and CAO number at the top of each piece of paper. This means you keep the original certificates and you send the photocopies to CAO. CAO keep your photocopied versions, which is why they ask for photocopies and not the real thing.

I've applied through CAO twice (2021 and 2020 entry), so have a good understanding of how the system works and am happy to answer any other questions you have.
Hi, I applied to UCC from England. I don't remember being asked to 'briefly describe the examinations' but I would imagine that means outline what kind of exams you took (you mention German Abitur), what subjects they were in, and the year you took them. I don't know if the German Abitur is the equivalent of GCSEs (Irish Junior Cert) or A Levels (Irish Leaving Cert), but you should mention all public exams you have taken.

When submitting certificates, you should get a photocopy of each certificate, send this to your school, and get them to sign and stamp it to prove these are accurate results (and that you haven't make them up). You then need to write your full name and CAO number at the top of each piece of paper. This means you keep the original certificates and you send the photocopies to CAO. CAO keep your photocopied versions, which is why they ask for photocopies and not the real thing.

I've applied through CAO twice (2021 and 2020 entry), so have a good understanding of how the system works and am happy to answer any other questions you have.

Thank you ever so much :smile: I've sent it off like this now, hoping for the best! I just wanted to make sure I understood exactly what they wanted me to do; it was a little difficult to be sure before. Thanks again!
Obviously we've had to mail our certificates so I was wondering whether anyone has any idea of when our qualifications will appear on CAO?
anyone received an rcsi interview for medicine?

are you applying as undergrad or grad ? I haven't received one but I read in another thread that in Ireland only students for grad entry have interviews

No I haven't heard anything.
Original post by MariaCorreia
are you applying as undergrad or grad ? I haven't received one but I read in another thread that in Ireland only students for grad entry have interviews

undergrad, undergrad definitely does have interviews
undergrad, undergrad definitely does have interviews

Well, I hadn't heard that ever ... could you please link where you got that info ?
Original post by MariaCorreia
Well, I hadn't heard that ever ... could you please link where you got that info ?

no link, I know people who were called for interview this year as well the previous years for undergrad entry!
Reply 52
Hello!! I am from the US applying to RCSI, UCD, and NUIG. I applied through the Atlantic Bridge program. I got an offer for RCSI and I am waiting on the other two. Does anyone know when these decisions come out? Is RCSI worth it? Not sure if I should wait for UCD or just accept RCSI. Contemplating rn ahah.
Reply 53
Original post by divking
Hello!! I am from the US applying to RCSI, UCD, and NUIG. I applied through the Atlantic Bridge program. I got an offer for RCSI and I am waiting on the other two. Does anyone know when these decisions come out? Is RCSI worth it? Not sure if I should wait for UCD or just accept RCSI. Contemplating rn ahah.

same here. I have emailed NUIG and informed me that they are looking at Atlantic bridge applicants this week and will send out offers around April. Not too sure about UCD but am still waiting for it. Which med program have u been accepted for?
Original post by divking

I think the difference between RCSI and UCD (besides cost probably) js really whether or not you like the ucd campus or rcsi's building. I personally picked UCD because of the fact that it's a really big campus and it's what I'm used to! location can come into play if you're deciding between the two, and the associated hospitals and clinics. in terms of the course itself i think they're exactly the same (someone can fact check me lol)
Reply 55
Original post by Isslit
same here. I have emailed NUIG and informed me that they are looking at Atlantic bridge applicants this week and will send out offers around April. Not too sure about UCD but am still waiting for it. Which med program have u been accepted for?

Hey! I have been accepted for RCSI 6-year med program. I am not too sure about waiting for NUIG because of how far away it is from Dublin. So I am basically waiting for UCD to see. But most likely I will accept RCSI
Original post by Venusplants
Hey guys! I'm from England and applying for '21 entry (ideally Classics at Trinity), do you know if we qualify as international or EU students? (Oh you gotta love Brexit.)

You qualify as home student.
Original post by amygracebroad
Does anyone know what the fee status for UK students for 2021/22 will be? I'm hoping to apply to the MA Public History (ed. at Trinity) but I'm terrified I'll be classed as an international student and won't be able to afford the fees!

Hi,
You will not be classified as an international student as the Common Travel Area between the UK and the Republic of Ireland precedes any EU treaty and remains extant.
No need to worry on that score.
Reply 58
Original post by makuaroni
Hello! I'm applying to Trinity, UCD and RCSI for Medicine (yikes, i know!) and I'm really excited! I'm also applying for Medicine in England, so I have a lot on my plate honestly.

Hey did u get an offer or confirm your offer at any school in Ireland? I got in at RCSI and I just wanna connect with people haha
Original post by divking
Hey did u get an offer or confirm your offer at any school in Ireland? I got in at RCSI and I just wanna connect with people haha

im probably going rcsi

Quick Reply

Latest