The Student Room Group

cancel 2022 GCSE and A levels

it could be possible for the year 10 GCSE to be cancelled as well as the years 12 A levels but only if this petition gets spread around and get the targeted signature on .https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/566760
When do you hope for things to go back to normal? That will be the third time that exams will have been cancelled. I understand the last two years, but cancelling exams ad infinitum will only lead to further difficulties later on in your academic career. Some people genuinely cannot work from home, for reasons such as a difficult home life or specific learning difficulties, and I do sympathise heavily with those people; but I think equally that some others have decided that they don't want to adapt and deserve to have exams cancelled for them too without a clear justification for it. It is difficult with lost teaching time, but many learners lose teaching time or have to essentially teach the course themselves, and do so every year without much special consideration.
Reply 3
how long will this chain of people demanding exams be cancelled go on for
you literally have a year and a half before your a levels/GCSEs which is more than enough time to finish your course but go off I guess 💀 fyi your grade boundaries gonna be low anyway 🙄
I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself here, A level and most GCSE students are less than 6 months into their course and it is not time to make any sort of decision on that. This years cohort still doesn't know what their assessments are going to look like and they are defo the priority at the moment of all secondary years for obvious reasons. in all reality, exams 2022 probs wont be cancelled as schools will most likely go back soon due to dropping cases and there will bw lots of time to catch up.
Next there'll be a petition trying to get exams cancelled if there's a snow day.
I know people don't like exams, but they are by far the fairest way to determine grades and if they can possibly go ahead, they absolutely should
ahahaha why do you want 2022 exams to be cancelled?? It's not like 2020 exams, where it wouldn't have been possible to have us safely sit them, and it's not like the 2021 exams, where they have missed significant amounts of teaching. Not being in school is not the same as not being taught. This lockdown is not the same as the one back in march. Schools are in general much better at providing remote teaching, and this teaching is more accessible (more devices being given out / allowing people without the appropriate technology / space to attend in person).
Original post by ManU2020
ahahaha why do you want 2022 exams to be cancelled?? It's not like 2020 exams, where it wouldn't have been possible to have us safely sit them, and it's not like the 2021 exams, where they have missed significant amounts of teaching. Not being in school is not the same as not being taught. This lockdown is not the same as the one back in march. Schools are in general much better at providing remote teaching, and this teaching is more accessible (more devices being given out / allowing people without the appropriate technology / space to attend in person).

And the school shutdown is likely to be a couple of months at the most, not half a year like last time
We can't keep cancelling stuff whenever we're stressed out (@Ramipril made an excellent post on this). Oh I do wish that people would stop using and abusing the MH card 24/7 (sorry if this offends anyone (it will) but there I said it because it's starting to get annoying). Also people once again not thinking about private candidates it's all about "I want to get into university/sixth form" or "just give me my LX qualification grades". Work for the grades and earn them yourself, don't expect teachers to hand them to you via CAGs and no exams. Campaign for the 2022 cohort to get support.
Schools won't open till after Easter so I wanna hear these critics to shut the **** up and listen if your telling me u can revise 4 years of studying into 11 months then I'll find u and fight u because that is ******** and it's been proven.
Original post by No Learning
Schools won't open till after Easter so I wanna hear these critics to shut the **** up and listen if your telling me u can revise 4 years of studying into 11 months then I'll find u and fight u because that is ******** and it's been proven

i just read this and it doesn't really make sense. Where have these figures come from? If your a year 12 student you will have missed 3 months of gcse from mid march to mid june. Then you will have missed from january till what is expected to be before easter so less than 3 months of A-level. If you are unlucky your school/college will have shut further for covid outbreaks. That works out to be around 6 months out of school over the 3 years. Not to mention that the yr 11 doesn't affect A-levels so it's more like 3 months over 2 years. Plus for most of it especially this current lockdown your school will have been setting work for you to do at home remotely so your not entirely missing out on learning.
I'm just being realistic here that it's far too early to say that you need exams cancelled. The government will have a similar approach to the other years where they first reduce content if there is further disruption. Only if there's major disruption from next september will they scrap full exams which seems unlikely considering how much they have invested into remote learning.
No
Original post by Ducky_MoMo
No

Nope.
Original post by billybob234
i just read this and it doesn't really make sense. Where have these figures come from? If your a year 12 student you will have missed 3 months of gcse from mid march to mid june. Then you will have missed from january till what is expected to be before easter so less than 3 months of A-level. If you are unlucky your school/college will have shut further for covid outbreaks. That works out to be around 6 months out of school over the 3 years. Not to mention that the yr 11 doesn't affect A-levels so it's more like 3 months over 2 years. Plus for most of it especially this current lockdown your school will have been setting work for you to do at home remotely so your not entirely missing out on learning.
I'm just being realistic here that it's far too early to say that you need exams cancelled. The government will have a similar approach to the other years where they first reduce content if there is further disruption. Only if there's major disruption from next september will they scrap full exams which seems unlikely considering how much they have invested into remote learning.

i left year 11 exactly one year ago on the 16th and only have been physcially in school 6 weeks of them. As in theres 52 weeks in the year and ive only been in school 6 WHOLE weeks of them. Rest has been online. I haven't met the other half of my year and won't till AFTER easter
Original post by ASTUDENTWHO
i left year 11 exactly one year ago on the 16th and only have been physcially in school 6 weeks of them. As in theres 52 weeks in the year and ive only been in school 6 WHOLE weeks of them. Rest has been online. I haven't met the other half of my year and won't till AFTER easter

I understand you have had it particularly harshly probably due to have to self isolate or shield for long periods of time but i think it's fair to say that most year12s have been in school longer than 6 weeks. My school for instance remained completely open for whole of Autumn term , shut in January and February but then reopened fully straight away on 8th March. So in terms of the A-level course people at my school have only missed 2months.
Original post by jamiet0185
Next there'll be a petition trying to get exams cancelled if there's a snow day.
I know people don't like exams, but they are by far the fairest way to determine grades and if they can possibly go ahead, they absolutely should

This is the best way I’ve seen it worded

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending