The Student Room Group

A level combination Chem, Maths, Computer Science and Econs

Hi does Chemistry, Maths, Computer Science and Econs seem like a good combination? I initially wanted to take Further Maths however the school I'm attending doesnt offer it so to compromise I'm considering taking Econs. I have considered taking Physics but I have not done it in IGCSE so I'm afraid I might not keep up. Would taking Physics instead of Econs be a better decision? or is it fine to just take Chemistry as I'm more familiar with it.
It's not really a good idea to take 4 subjects. If I were you I would just stick to chemistry, maths and computer science. There isn't really any advantage to taking economics as well because it will just mean that you're giving yourself extra work and risking getting lower grades in 4 subjects rather than high grades in 3.

Definitely don't do physics if you haven't done it to GCSE level as it is one of the hardest a-levels.
Original post by yeehawcowcat
Hi does Chemistry, Maths, Computer Science and Econs seem like a good combination? I initially wanted to take Further Maths however the school I'm attending doesnt offer it so to compromise I'm considering taking Econs. I have considered taking Physics but I have not done it in IGCSE so I'm afraid I might not keep up. Would taking Physics instead of Econs be a better decision? or is it fine to just take Chemistry as I'm more familiar with it.

Hello, thank you for your question.

If you considering doing a science degree in the future, you will need at least 1 Science A Level (or equivalent), out of Chemistry/ Biology/ Physics; sometimes two depending on the degree title and the university. If you are more familiar with Chemistry, that would probably be a better option for you; plus as a rule of thumb, for most science degrees Chemistry would suffice, whereas Physics may not. However, ultimately your choice should depend on what degree/career you would like to go into. If you are unsure, I would choose facilitating subjects such as Chemistry, that allow you to keep your future study options, as open as possible.

On the other hand, if you are considering a non-science degree, then usually any 3 subjects at A level would meet the entry requirements. However, of course you should check this before making your decisions. Saying this, I would still encourage you to choose the most relevant subjects at A Level for a given degree subject, since this will make the degree course that much easier for you.

Myself I have taken 4 A Levels. Overall, it has not impaired my grades; although it did require me devote a lot more time towards my studies. Thus, I would only recommend doing 4 subjects, if you think this would benefit you in the future, in terms of your academic knowledge/ experience, and provided that you can commit to more study hours. It is worth pointing out that taking 4 A Levels will not put you at any advantage, in terms of securing a place at university, since only 3 A Levels grades will be taken into account.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. :smile:

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student, MSci with a Year Abroad).
(edited 3 years ago)
which subject should I drop f.math,math,physics,computer science for a computer science degree?

Original post by University of Sussex Official Reps
Hello, thank you for your question.

If you considering doing a science degree in the future, you will need at least 1 Science A Level (or equivalent), out of Chemistry/ Biology/ Physics; sometimes two depending on the degree title and the university. If you are more familiar with Chemistry, that would probably be a better option for you; plus as a rule of thumb, for most science degrees Chemistry would suffice, whereas Physics may not. However, ultimately your choice should depend on what degree/career you would like to go into. If you are unsure, I would choose facilitating subjects such as Chemistry that allow you to keep your future study options, as open as possible.

On the other hand, if you are considering a non-science degree, then usually any 3 subjects at A level would meet the entry requirements. However, of course you should check this before making your decisions. Saying this, I would still encourage you to choose the most relevant subjects at A Level for a given degree subject, since this will make the degree course that much easier for you.

Myself I have taken 4 A Levels. Overall, it has not impaired my grades; although it did require me devote a lot more time towards my studies. Thus, I would only recommend doing 4 subjects, if you think this would benefit you in the future, in terms of your academic knowledge/ experience, and provided that you can commit to more study hours. It is worth pointing out that taking 4 A Levels will not put you at any advantage, in terms of securing a place at university, since only 3 A Levels grades will be taken into account.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. :smile:

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student, MSci with a Year Abroad).
Reply 4
Original post by HelloZello
which subject should I drop f.math,math,physics,computer science for a computer science degree?

Why drop one? Lots of people do that combination. When people say not to do 4 A levels its normally excluding people doing maths and further maths.
Original post by yeehawcowcat

Depends what degree you want to do..

If you're aiming for Oxbridge then drop computer science. If not then drop physics.
Original post by ajj2000
Why drop one? Lots of people do that combination. When people say not to do 4 A levels its normally excluding people doing maths and further maths.

oh ok its just that a lot of people tell me to drop comp.sc for some reason saying it is a useless a level compared to the rest
kinda dont wanna drop physics i enjoy it- i wont drop any

Original post by physgradstudent
If you're aiming for Oxbridge then drop computer science. If not then drop physics.

Hello,

I would say that physics would probably be the subject least applicable to computer science degree. Hence, this would the subject that I would drop.

Best Wishes,
Kasia
Original post by University of Sussex Official Reps
Hello,

I would say that physics would probably be the subject least applicable to computer science degree. Hence, this would the subject that I would drop.

Best Wishes,
Kasia

thank you

Quick Reply

Latest