The Student Room Group

Flatmate smoking weed

Im in a flatshare in a private student accommodation and a person has just moved in recently, they smoke weed all day and it smells. I don't care about the act of smoking weed, but it is illegal and I don't want to be blamed for the smell.

What do I do? I don't want to talk to them about it, they seem unhinged.

Scroll to see replies

I think talking to them about it is the only course of action that you can take... other than keeping quiet or reporting them.
Reply 2
Original post by SoonToBeExpat
I think talking to them about it is the only course of action that you can take... other than keeping quiet or reporting them.

I don't wanna get blamed so I kinda just want to report it, I think if I talk to them about it before I report it then they will know for sure that its me who did that.

They genuinely seem unhinged anyway by what I have to go off in terms of having other issues round the flat
idk what answer ur expecting tbh

u can either talk to them or report them like that the way it is
Original post by LunasCorner
idk what answer ur expecting tbh

u can either talk to them or report them like that the way it is

exactly. foolish behaviour being exhibited here by op
How many people live in the flat?
Reply 6
Original post by YaliaV123
How many people live in the flat?

4 of us, the other people also don't like the fact that it's happening
its not hard to just talk to them about it
Original post by Anonymous
4 of us, the other people also don't like the fact that it's happening

Do they feel the same way? You could have a house meeting.
Reply 9
You guys are all useless, you can't talk to a person who gets angry about stuff when you live with them, it makes them even more aggravated and it makes the whole living situation worse (I mean when the person is the type that doesnt like to listen, normal people wouldn't react badly to criticisms but some people do)

Original post by Gent2324
its not hard to just talk to them about it

Original post by AnnieDunning
exactly. foolish behaviour being exhibited here by op
I swear they legalised personal use of weed here?
Yeah OP just talk to someone you don't consider approachable about something that will probably annoy them jeeeeez what a wuss /s

Sarcasm aside, sounds like a job for you and the other flatmates to address as a united front so plan with them and go from there. If it's an even flatshare everyone should be considered equally so maybe some kind of arrangement can be made where they only smoke in certain rooms/at certain times etc. Good luck!
Im in a flatshare in a private student accommodation and a person has just moved in recently, they smoke weed all day and it smells. I don't care about the act of smoking weed, but it is illegal and I don't want to be blamed for the smell.

Please talk, don't report. What if the student is international.

I was smoking weed when in a dorm in America. Weed was illegal in the state i was in and a girl in my dorm, who plotted ways to get rid of me because she saw as a weirdo, snitched on me. It was a scary time because i nearly faced deportation, if i had been caught.

Just talk to the person before you ruin someone's life. If the person refuses to stop, then take it further.
Original post by Quiet Benin
Please talk, don't report. What if the student is international.

I was smoking weed when in a dorm in America. Weed was illegal in the state i was in and a girl in my dorm, who plotted ways to get rid of me because she saw as a weirdo, snitched on me. It was a scary time because i nearly faced deportation, if i had been caught.

Just talk to the person before you ruin someone's life. If the person refuses to stop, then take it further.

They're not an international student.

I have other issues with this person that I have tried to sort out but they don't listen. They sure as hell won't listen when it comes to not smoking weed.

Weed is illegal anyway, I don't get why people don't understand that point. It's not my problem that it's not legal, and it's not my fault that I don't want to be around someone who partakes in illegal activities.

Anyway, I've already reported them. I'm not responsible for other people's actions, and I have to look out for myself. It's not just about the weed. It's about where it comes from, and the safety aspects surrounding how they get the drugs and who I am allowing to be in a place I live where I should be able to feel safe. Plus if I don't report I'm going to be liable for the damages to the communal spaces and my deposit won't be paid back to me (they are a heavy smoker and the smell lingers everywhere)

ignore it, it’s none of your business.
Original post by s786!

Spoken like a person who smokes weed, so don't need your input
Original post by s786!

Of course it's their business
Original post by Nautilus

Exactly, I have to live here. Plus my deposit is on the line
Original post by Nautilus

OP is not gonna get in trouble for it? snowflake.
Exactly, I have to live here. Plus my deposit is on the line

snowflake. so many people smoke weed at uni. you’re not gonna get in trouble for it, why you stressing for? obvs the person smoking the weed is gonna get in trouble ffs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending