The Student Room Group

Help! Accounting and finance degree?

is A+F a good degree? i have no experience in this field and thought getting a degree to get a start in it.. was thinking of degree apprenticeship but i hear they are highly competitive and my a levels are no where near related to this field

plz help im pretty stressed out..
Yeah it's a respectable degree but it depends on what you wanna do. If you want to become a Chartered Accountant, an A+F degree is actually not necessary for entering a graduate scheme to become Chartered after you finish uni. However it will help out a lot as you need to do a lot of professional exams to become Chartered, and you get a number of exam exemption with an accounting degree. One of the best things about the degree imo is that it helps you understand the business world a lot better, and if you're into investing and saving money then understanding factors that affect a business and its financial statements will help you make much better investing decisions.

Overall, a degree in accounting opens up the door to a really good career with a good salary, and teaches you about the business world but is not necessary to become Chartered if that's your goal. Is there anything else you're thinking about doing?
Reply 2
Original post by Fox Hound
Yeah it's a respectable degree but it depends on what you wanna do. If you want to become a Chartered Accountant, an A+F degree is actually not necessary for entering a graduate scheme to become Chartered after you finish uni. However it will help out a lot as you need to do a lot of professional exams to become Chartered, and you get a number of exam exemption with an accounting degree. One of the best things about the degree imo is that it helps you understand the business world a lot better, and if you're into investing and saving money then understanding factors that affect a business and its financial statements will help you make much better investing decisions.

Overall, a degree in accounting opens up the door to a really good career with a good salary, and teaches you about the business world but is not necessary to become Chartered if that's your goal. Is there anything else you're thinking about doing?

thanks for your reply!

i dont really have any certain long term career goals or passion in any subjects tbh i was considering doing a+f just cause i think i wanna try going into accounting however many have said a degree is not necessay but if i decided accounting wasnt for me i thought i could kinda use the degree as a safety net to fall back on which is why i was thihnking of doing it? im not sure how much flexibility there is with this degree though but that was my thinking behind it .. ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending