The Student Room Group

University Based PGCE or SCITT?

I have been offered places on both a university led PGCE and a SCITT (also with PGCE) and cannot decide which route to take.

Some of my current pros and cons of each:

Uni PGCE
+ Still experiencing some parts of typical student life
+ More gradual introduction to teaching
+ More theory based (I do well in academia)
+ More prestigious institution
- Could be placed at any school with a long commute
- Only in each school for a short period of time
- Have been told you receive less 1:1 support

SCITT
+ Significant amount of time in school
+ Some say over which school I am placed in (or at least in which area)
+ Over 50% of trainees are offered jobs at one of their placement schools
- Thrown in the deep end a little
- PGCE qualification from a much less prestigious university

If anyone has any additional experience or advice to share for either of the routes that may help me to decide I would be very grateful!
Ask what extras each offer. I did a school direct which was in parallel with a schitt and uni course. I got the best of both worlds. If the schitt is well run I feel you will get better training. Teaching is practical, not academic so diving head first is the only way.

Good luck!
Original post by Sophielouuu
I have been offered places on both a university led PGCE and a SCITT (also with PGCE) and cannot decide which route to take.

Uni PGCE

SCITT

If anyone has any additional experience or advice to share for either of the routes that may help me to decide I would be very grateful!

In theory on a SCITT you should get a relatively gradual introduction into teaching- it's not like a salaried route where you really are thrown in at the deep end.

I think school centered routes tend to give a better experience as long as everything goes right. Whereas uni based routes seem to offer more support if there are problems, and it's more likely for it to be possible to change placements if something goes horribly wrong. The long commutes are a killer though.

The amount of 1:1 support you get in school very much depends on your mentor, and at least with a uni based route you have someone to back you up if your mentor isn't doing their job properly.

The prestige of the uni doesn't make any difference when it comes to applying to jobs, so I would honestly take this off your list.

I think if you're interested in the theory behind teaching, and might want to do an M.Ed in the future, then the PGCE is a good option. Otherwise, SCITTs tend to offer more QoL benefits, like a shorter commute (although be aware that schools still have to agree to take on a trainee, and the schools that offer this may change year on year). It may also be worth doing a PGCE if you want access to uni support systems.

I hope this helps a bit.

Uni PGCE

SCITT

This depends from provider to provider. Don't forget you can look at a School Direct route, which blends both (more immersion into school life, gradually, but also a Uni element for approx a third of the year). Theoretically, whether you've attended a 'prestigious university' shouldn't make any difference when it comes to applying for a teaching post. I would suggest that senior leadership are looking for your potential to give the best outcomes to young learners, and this does not depend on the establishment where you qualified.
Support varies, this is regardless of establishment. It can vary from mentor to mentor/tutor to tutor within one establishment! In school led you should have an overall professional mentor for the programme, a mentor in your placement school and a subject mentor (if you're studying Secondary). So support should be equal to choosing a uni route.
SCITT and School Direct do, in theory, have more flexibility over placements, but check with the SCITT as their placement schools may also be located further away than anticipated. They should have a list of all partner schools that you could be placed at, so you can check that yourself.
Good luck!

Uni PGCE

SCITT

Hello

It's fantastic that you've been offered two places! Not so good that the chose is a tricky one to make. :confused:

I think a lot of the points raised above are all worth taking into consideration, however, what I don't feel is mentioned is how you felt in the presence of the interviewers. The real difference between school and University led routes are administrative, but the providers differ greatly in the levels of support and experience they can/will offer. What is your gut saying and where did you feel most comfortable?

I would suggest asking the providers what the training period would 'look like' on a week to week basis, (Where are you likely to be spending bigger lengths of time) what the PGCE assignments and deadlines are. (I've seen some very well integrated research projects and some essay questions that add no value to your teaching career! Chose somewhere that will not be expecting you to write these assignments over the holidays) I would also suggest you ask how experienced your mentors will be. (I know someone mentored by an NQT, who told the beginner teacher that they had nothing else to teach them after 4 meetings!)

Wishing you all the best for a really exciting, fulfilling and varied teaching career!

Jane
Reply 5
I am currently a SCITT trainee, I am not sure where people get this view that you are thrown in the deep end. I guess not all SCITT courses are the same, but mine, we did 3 weeks of induction and learning. Then we went into school and spent another 3 weeks observing. We were expected to observe only, however most trainees were helping out by week 2 (just assisting the teacher) because it comes naturally and it helps you start to get to know your class. Its only week 6/7 that you actually start teaching and even then it starts off as a 20 minute activity, then two 20 minute activities, then a 60 minute lesson. You then teach an additional lesson every couple of weeks as a slow build up. We started in September and we are only on 6 lessons a week teaching and 11 observed lessons. We only teach a full 15 lessons for 2 weeks at the very end.
Reply 6
Original post by Mhezz
I am currently a SCITT trainee, I am not sure where people get this view that you are thrown in the deep end. I guess not all SCITT courses are the same, but mine, we did 3 weeks of induction and learning. Then we went into school and spent another 3 weeks observing. We were expected to observe only, however most trainees were helping out by week 2 (just assisting the teacher) because it comes naturally and it helps you start to get to know your class. Its only week 6/7 that you actually start teaching and even then it starts off as a 20 minute activity, then two 20 minute activities, then a 60 minute lesson. You then teach an additional lesson every couple of weeks as a slow build up. We started in September and we are only on 6 lessons a week teaching and 11 observed lessons. We only teach a full 15 lessons for 2 weeks at the very end.

It’s interesting to hear about such different experiences! I also went with the SCITT offer in the end and definitely do feel that I was thrown in the the deep end (though this was actually great for building my confidence quickly). We started with a two week induction and then went straight into our main placement, assisting with lessons and working with small groups from day one. We taught our first full lesson (mine was a whole afternoon long) in the second week of placement and the timetable increased steadily from there. We’ve been teaching at 50% timetable for a while now and will be moving up to 80% not long after the Easter holidays. It has been intense but good preparation for what is to come in the end.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending