The Student Room Group

What A-Levels should I take to do a course in Psychology?

Hi,
I am currently deciding what subjects to choose for A-Level, I am very keen on doing Psychology in Uni.
I want to take Psychology, Biology and English Lit for A-Levels, but my parents think that I would benefit more from taking Maths instead of English, so I am torn.
Which, out of Psychology, Biology, English Lit, and Mathematics, should I take?
Psychology and Biology for sure as looking at Oxbridge as the top level of requirement, Oxford wants Psychology and a science or maths, and Cambridge wants science/maths depending on the college. If you want to take English lit then take it as you'll get a better grade in the subject you want to do. It's good for critical thinking and essays, and really if you already have Biology as the hard science then you will be fine for any uni courses.
Original post by letitaaa
Hi,
I am currently deciding what subjects to choose for A-Level, I am very keen on doing Psychology in Uni.
I want to take Psychology, Biology and English Lit for A-Levels, but my parents think that I would benefit more from taking Maths instead of English, so I am torn.
Which, out of Psychology, Biology, English Lit, and Mathematics, should I take?

@letitaaa
Hello! I am currently doing an MSc in Psychology so I know a little about the area. Certainly biology would help with the neuroscience side of things (how chemicals affect brain processes etc), and mathematics would be also useful as you will be taught how to use programs such as SPSS which analyses statistical data. In terms of general employability, a Maths A Level is a very strong subject to do.

Have you considered doing your Psychology degree online, or via blended learning? At Arden University we have a range of center's in Manchester, Birmingham, and London where you can study. I really thought I wouldn't have the work life balance to study again, but the program is fantastic especially if you have work/family commitments. Here is a link - https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/undergraduate/psychology-degrees/bsc-hons-psychology-bps

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 3
Original post by linedpaper
Psychology and Biology for sure as looking at Oxbridge as the top level of requirement, Oxford wants Psychology and a science or maths, and Cambridge wants science/maths depending on the college. If you want to take English lit then take it as you'll get a better grade in the subject you want to do. It's good for critical thinking and essays, and really if you already have Biology as the hard science then you will be fine for any uni courses.

thank you so much !!
Reply 4
Original post by Arden University
@letitaaa
Hello! I am currently doing an MSc in Psychology so I know a little about the area. Certainly biology would help with the neuroscience side of things (how chemicals affect brain processes etc), and mathematics would be also useful as you will be taught how to use programs such as SPSS which analyses statistical data. In terms of general employability, a Maths A Level is a very strong subject to do.

Have you considered doing your Psychology degree online, or via blended learning? At Arden University we have a range of center's in Manchester, Birmingham, and London where you can study. I really thought I wouldn't have the work life balance to study again, but the program is fantastic especially if you have work/family commitments. Here is a link - https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/undergraduate/psychology-degrees/bsc-hons-psychology-bps

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Im not too sure, as I am only in year 11, but thank you so much !!
Just check the course requirements. Also, don't you need to do 4 AS levels first (or have things changed again)?

Maths is definately a really useful A level, but an A* in English is going to look better than a B in Maths A level, so it depends how passionate you are about the subjects. I think most unis are happy if you have at least 2 sciences including psychology and maths, and they are definately happy if you do English as you'll be doing a lot of writing in a psychology degree.

Maths won't really help you in a psychology degree (as your normally only taught statistics at quite a superficial level), but its definately useful if you want to do a pscyh PhD in a quantitative field and *really* understand stats (that being said, loads of psych profs are **** at stats too) :smile:.
Original post by iammichealjackson
Just check the course requirements. Also, don't you need to do 4 AS levels first (or have things changed again)?

Maths is definately a really useful A level, but an A* in English is going to look better than a B in Maths A level, so it depends how passionate you are about the subjects. I think most unis are happy if you have at least 2 sciences including psychology and maths, and they are definately happy if you do English as you'll be doing a lot of writing in a psychology degree.

Maths won't really help you in a psychology degree (as your normally only taught statistics at quite a superficial level), but its definately useful if you want to do a pscyh PhD in a quantitative field and *really* understand stats (that being said, loads of psych profs are **** at stats too) :smile:.

FYI i did both a levels and whilst english is fun, I felt it was way more work than any other a level. I think every sunday pretty much i was writing long essays or having to do a lot of reading... In my final exam i just didn't have time to revise English as it required alot of memorisation of passages (and i was focusing on getting good grades in my other a levels)

Quick Reply

Latest