The Student Room Group

Should we suspend Scottish devolution?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Burton Bridge
Your not so confident you would win an independence referendum then?

Yes Westminster would cope fine gaining the power back it gave away in the 90's.

Well , I still think the EU referendum was basically a question, are you happy with the status quo or not? Those which the status quo isn't that bad they voted remain, those which have suffered by the status quo voted leave... in general. I think this is more accurate rarther than any genuine euroscepticism or passion for the European union.

Actually I suspect that threat would drive more voters to leave. Like if the EU said 'if you vote to remain we'll centralise power' would have increased the margin voting to leave the EU.

Sorry, you keep dodging the question. Would just the power be returned to Westminster, or would the administration also move to Westminster?

Thats quite a different statement, and one that I'd agree with.
Reply 41
Original post by QE2
Careful now. You're not allowed to admit that people voted Leave because of immigration.

....why not?

Surely many people did...?

Whats it admitting...?
Original post by QE2
Do you understand the concept of hyperbole for effect?
Anywho, if we remove the "all", do you still claim the principle is "factually inaccurate"?

"It is unacceptable and naive for a state to leave a larger organisation of nations with a central governing body, in favour of independence and sovereignty and think they can be successful on their own." - scream some Brexiteers and Leave voters.

Do you deny that there is hypocrisy in the two positions of "Must leave political union" and "Must not leave political union",

There was nothing to indicate sarcasm, no emoji or anything. Communication is largely non verbal, this is why written word can be misinterpreted sometimes, let's put this down to that.

Your amended statement is perfectly factual and correct. No I don't deny the hypocrisy in the two position at base level. Are you prepared to attack remainers like the SNP for partaking in the same?
Reply 43
Lol you know what, I thought that as i posted it :biggrin:

Anything on the on topic point or are we continuing the off topic attacking of me?

*sppr... you get the idea.
Original post by Quady
....why not?

Whats it admitting...?

Mr Bridge doesn’t believe that many people voted because of immigration, but doesn’t give any counter reasons as to why they voted.
Original post by QE2
The mods can't monitor every thread. They mostly respond to reports.
Hmm...

Racist!

Very suspicious that my late couple of warnings for insults have been usually within an hour of our most gracious friend posting...
Reply 46
Original post by Quady
....why not?

Whats it admitting...?

Because whenI point this out, I am usually told it is nonsense and everyone had sensible ideas about legislative sovereignty, democracy, federalism, etc. "Nothing to do with those bloody foreigners. I love a curry as much as the next man. Some of my best friends are Poles."
Reply 47
There was nothing to indicate sarcasm, no emoji or anything. Communication is largely non verbal, this is why written word can be misinterpreted sometimes, let's put this down to that.

That's because it wasn't sarcasm. :confused:
Hyperbole is exaggeration used to make a point. The words I used clearly indicated hyperbole.

Your amended statement is perfectly factual and correct. No I don't deny the hypocrisy in the two position at base level. Are you prepared to attack remainers like the SNP for partaking in the same?

As Scotland can be both independent of Westminster and a member of the EU, then there is no hypocrisy, especially for those wanting independence in order to rejoin the EU. If they wanted to leave the UK but not join the EU, then there might be an issue.
Original post by Quady
Actually I suspect that threat would drive more voters to leave. Like if the EU said 'if you vote to remain we'll centralise power' would have increased the margin voting to leave the EU.

Sorry, you keep dodging the question. Would just the power be returned to Westminster, or would the administration also move to Westminster?

Thats quite a different statement, and one that I'd agree with.

I think you are right regards your first sentence, so its win win for the SNP or is it? Hidden message there...

Sorry, In a vote to remain in the UK the Scottish government would return to the same powers they had under John Major's Tories.

The second referendum, in the event of a stay in s Scottish stay in UK vote. I proposed which asks the rest of the UK the question of they want to move the entire administration to Westminster or not?

Original post by QE2
*sppr... you get the idea.

I'll take that as a no then :smile:

Original post by imlikeahermit
Mr Bridge doesn’t believe that many people voted because of immigration, but doesn’t give any counter reasons as to why they voted.

You know this is untrue, why are you lying?
Original post by Quady
....why not?

Whats it admitting...?

He's making the false point (he might again say hes using a hyperbole when called out for it:rolleyes:) that leave voters take objection to being called racist for simply voting leave, there are many leave voters whom voted leave without immigration on their minds. This is what the posters (x2) fail to grasp.
Original post by QE2
As Scotland can be both independent of Westminster and a member of the EU, then there is no hypocrisy, especially for those wanting independence in order to rejoin the EU. If they wanted to leave the UK but not join the EU, then there might be an issue.

And Scotland can be outside the EU and a happy member of the UK...
He's making the false point (he might again say hes using a hyperbole when called out for it:rolleyes:) that leave voters take objection to being called racist for simply voting leave, there are many leave voters whom voted leave without immigration on their minds. This is what the posters (x2) fail to grasp.

Except on every poll I’ve just looked at, immigration has been the top issue. It’s been the main issue, it’s been the issue that has been most debated. To suggest it hasn’t; would be now your turn at lying.
And Scotland can be outside the EU and a happy member of the UK...

But they are not. They are not happy, nor do they want to be a member of the U.K. Will of the people and all that remember, in May, I am completely confident that Sturgeon will receive her mandate from the people of Scotland for Indyref2.
Original post by QE2
Because whenI point this out, I am usually told it is nonsense and everyone had sensible ideas about legislative sovereignty, democracy, federalism, etc. "Nothing to do with those bloody foreigners. I love a curry as much as the next man. Some of my best friends are Poles."

Every single poll puts immigration as the number one reason for voting leave. Not the only reason, but absolutely the main reason.
Except on every poll I’ve just looked at, immigration has been the top issue. It’s been the main issue, it’s been the issue that has been most debated. To suggest it hasn’t; would be now your turn at lying..

You'd have to point out why I'm lying first. Show me one single post where have claimed immigration isn't a valid reason to vote leave. I've been pretty consistent in my posts over the last two years, I've opposed bigoted opinions that it is the only reason t only reason and argued against nonsensical rhetoric that it makes brexit or leave voter racists.

So again why are you lying? Why? What do you think you gain from lying to try to discredit me. I can easily prove you are lying in that I do believe that many people voted because of immigration and have never once said anything to this effect. And further I can also prove I do give any counter reasons as to why people voted leave

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5854700&page=52

So why are you lying, because the moderators have given you a warning for insulting people? Not surprised you insult me every single day, maybe follow the rules.

But they are not. They are not happy, nor do they want to be a member of the U.K. Will of the people and all that remember, in May, I am completely confident that Sturgeon will receive her mandate from the people of Scotland for Indyref2.

Who are you to say they are or are not happy?
This remains to be seen, I'd think for reasons I've explained to you Scottish independence isn't a given. Certainly Scotland voting to leave the UK to rejoin the EU is a little of a fantasy.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by QE2

Loving curry was a reason many voted leave

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/minister-priti-patel-quit-eu-to-save-our-curry-houses-a3251071.html

https://www.asiansunday.co.uk/hundreds-of-curry-houses-take-part-in-vote-leave-save-our-curry-day/
Original post by QE2
I'm regularly pulled up for being "patronising" :rolleyes:. But there do seem to be a couple of posters who have very itchy report fingers, judging by which posts are reported.

Very suspicious that my late couple of warnings for insults have been usually within an hour of our most gracious friend posting...

Maybe if you have issues with the moderation on this forum take it up with them, rather than breaking more forum rules by attacking/insulting me - the person you think it reporting you and thus giving me more ammunition to report you :rolleyes: :rofl:

Or even better maybe just don't break the rules in the first place, which is real rocket science :biggrin:
Reply 56

Sorry, In a vote to remain in the UK the Scottish government would return to the same powers they had under John Major's Tories.

Christ alive this is hard work.

Under John Majors Tories there was no Scottish Government. There was the Scotland Office.

I understand you're saying the Scottish Government would close and powers be transferred to Westminster. But would you proposal mean the administration would be run from Westminster (ie Whitehall), or St Andrews House?

Good grief that is a fantastic picture of Priti Patel. I’m in love. Forgetting the vote leave t shirt of course.
Original post by Quady
Christ alive this is hard work.

Under John Majors Tories there was no Scottish Government. There was the Scotland Office.

I understand you're saying the Scottish Government would close and powers be transferred to Westminster. But would you proposal mean the administration would be run from Westminster (ie Whitehall), or St Andrews House?

What's hard to understand?

Scotland would return the same powers they had under John Major's Tories. If that is the Scottish office .... then it's the Scottish office. Things would run exactly how they did in the early 90's.

The further referendum which would exclude Scottish people would close be to close the Scottish house and replace with localised councils like in England with the councils being given equal support or remain as the status quo. So one for the isle of Skye, it's really not hard to understand

It would focus the minds of the SNP, the price of failure is too high.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 59

To be fair, @Burton Bridge voted Leave so the government could abolish VAT on sanitary products. It's not all about immigration.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending