The Student Room Group

pc

im getting a desk and pc set up in my room. it isnt necessarily for gaming, but it needs to be able to run big programs. any suggestions for any of the following:

pc
keyboard
mouse
monitor (21"-27")
desk

thank you in advance
What is a "big program" exactly?...

Keyboard and mouse... any will do really. Get cheap ones off Amazon or from a charity shop. Just make sure the mouse is a decent size for your hands.

Monitor... presumably you're fine with 1080p HD and 60 FPS, especially if it's not about gaming, so again just any old one will do.

Desk... get a tape measurer out.

As for the PC, that's a lot more complex, but if you're just using programs and not games, again kinda any tat will do. Even just some tablet or laptop maybe.
Original post by robbiesimons11
im getting a desk and pc set up in my room. it isnt necessarily for gaming, but it needs to be able to run big programs. any suggestions for any of the following:

pc
keyboard
mouse
monitor (21"-27")
desk

thank you in advance

Budget? And can you give examples of what you consider "big program"? Demanding applications will vary wildly in terms of what resources they need, so we'll need some direction.
by big programs i just means things like blender, sketchup and other program that my laptop cant handle. as for a budget im hoping around £600
by big programs i just means things like blender, sketchup and other program that my laptop cant handle. as for a budget im hoping around £600

£600 for everything on that list?
no, 600 for the PC
no, 600 for the PC

Okay, and budget for everything else?
no, 600 for the PC

Are you building your own or purchasing a pre-built?
Original post by Afrrcyn
Are you building your own or purchasing a pre-built?

i think ive found one that i configured on cyberpower that comes to £605
i think ive found one that i configured on cyberpower that comes to £605

Specs?
BLUETOOTH: None Selected
CAS: Corsair 220T Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Tempered Glass Side Panels (OEM - No Fans) [+13] (White Colour)
CD: None Selected
COOL: None Selected
COOL2: None Selected
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 - 4-Core 3.6GHz, 3.9GHz Turbo - 16MB L3 Cache (No On-board Graphics)
CS_FAN: 3x 120mm Cyberpower Addressable Dual Light Loop RGB 1350RPM Fans with Remote Control [+26] (ARGB Light Strip Upgrade: 2x Cyberpower ARGB Magnetic Strips)
EXCD: None Selected
EXPAN: Built-in USB Ports
FAN: Cooler Master Masterliquid Lite 120 Liquid Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator, Extreme OC Compatible (Cooler Master CPU Water Cooling, Extreme OC Compatible)
FLASHMEDIA: None Selected
HDD: 1TB Seagate BarraCuda SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM Hard Drive (1 Drive)
HOLIDAY1: BullGuard Internet Security for Windows PC with Game Booster! (1 Year / 3 User Licence) [+0]
INTERBROWSER1: Google Chrome Internet Browser [+0]
KEYBOARD: None Selected
M2SSD: None Selected
M2SSD2: None Selected
MEMORY: 8GB (1x8GB) DDR4/3200mhz Dual Channel Memory (HyperX Fury w/Heat Spreader)
MONITOR: None Selected
MOTHERBOARD: MSI A320M-A PRO: M-ATX w/ 2 RAM Slots, USB 3.2, SATA3
MOUSE: None Selected
NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT -- As standard on all PCs
OS: Windows 10 Home (64-bit Edition) Perfect for most people with all the core features of Windows 10 including: automatic updates, Cortana and DirectX 12 graphics support (No Recovery Media)
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
PCABLE: None Selected
POWERSUPPLY: Cooler Master MWE 400W 80+ Certified Gaming Power Supply
RAID: None Selected
RUSH: Standard Processing Time
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None Selected
SSD: 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU630 2.5" SSD - 520MB/s Read / 450MB/s Write (1 Drive)
STREAMERGEAR: None Selected
USB1: Built-in USB Ports [+0]
VIDEO: GeForce® GTX 1650 4GB - DX12®, VR Ready, HDMI, DVI, DP - 3 Monitor Support (Single Card)
VIDEOCAPTURE: None Selected
VIVE_HEADSET: None Selected
WARRANTY: DESKTOP STANDARD WARRANTY: 3 Year Labour, 2 Year Parts, 6 Month Collect and Return plus Life-Time Technical Support
WNC: N300 Wireless PCI Express Adapter
CAS: Corsair 220T Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Tempered Glass Side Panels (OEM - No Fans) [+13] (White Colour)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 - 4-Core 3.6GHz, 3.9GHz Turbo - 16MB L3 Cache (No On-board Graphics)
CS_FAN: 3x 120mm Cyberpower Addressable Dual Light Loop RGB 1350RPM Fans with Remote Control [+26] (ARGB Light Strip Upgrade: 2x Cyberpower ARGB Magnetic Strips)
FAN: Cooler Master Masterliquid Lite 120 Liquid Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator, Extreme OC Compatible (Cooler Master CPU Water Cooling, Extreme OC Compatible)
HOLIDAY1: BullGuard Internet Security for Windows PC with Game Booster! (1 Year / 3 User Licence) [+0]
MEMORY: 8GB (1x8GB) DDR4/3200mhz Dual Channel Memory (HyperX Fury w/Heat Spreader)
OS: Windows 10 Home (64-bit Edition) Perfect for most people with all the core features of Windows 10 including: automatic updates, Cortana and DirectX 12 graphics support (No Recovery Media)
SSD: 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU630 2.5" SSD - 520MB/s Read / 450MB/s Write (1 Drive)
VIDEO: GeForce® GTX 1650 4GB - DX12®, VR Ready, HDMI, DVI, DP - 3 Monitor Support (Single Card)
WARRANTY: DESKTOP STANDARD WARRANTY: 3 Year Labour, 2 Year Parts, 6 Month Collect and Return plus Life-Time Technical Support

Uhh, you should probably take 's advice on whatever he states but I just wanna point out a couple things:

You probably won't need that Defense Software thingy as the Windows Defense Software is perfectly capable.
The GTX 1650 is a good GPU but for a little bit more you could upgrade to a GTX 1650 Super or even GTX 1660, which is a good mid-range GPU for gaming...
Also Ryzen are very good with productivity!
Uhhh, 8GB of RAM is alright but a system running Games and software would definitely benefit from having 16GB (also Ryzen CPUs love dual channel RAM)
(edited 3 years ago)

Looks about as good as you can expect for £600. Just to confirm, does that price include VAT? Just because I know Cyberpower used to show the ex-vat price as default.

As above though, I'd potentially recommend spending a little extra to try and get a 1660/1660 Super based system, it's a big boost over a baseline 1650. It's why I was asking about your budget for the remainder of the system, to see how best your total budget could be balanced between the PC itself and everything else.

Original post by Afrrcyn
Uhh, you should probably take @Gofre's advice on whatever he states but I just wanna point out a couple things:

You probably won't need that Defense Software thingy as the Windows Defense Software is perfectly capable.
The GTX 1650 is a good GPU but for a little bit more you could upgrade to a GTX 1650 Super or even GTX 1660, which is a good mid-range GPU for gaming...
Also Ryzen are very good with productivity!
Uhhh, 8GB of RAM is alright but a system running Games and software would definitely benefit from having 16GB (also Ryzen CPUs love dual channel RAM)

Honestly at this price point 8GB is going to be absolutely fine for the sort of gaming that's within the 1650's ballpark of 1080p/60fps at high-max settings, same goes for productivity. Single channel is also less of a sticking point at this price, and has the advantage of making the upgrade to 16GB more painless if they do get a beefier GPU as only another 8GB stick needs purchasing, rather than replacing a 2x4GB set with 2x8GB (assuming it's a dual channel board).
The problem with doing that is it makes upgrading your systems RAM in the future harder...

Quick Reply

Latest