The Student Room Group

Gcse options

what did you all do? There's obviously a limit and I would like to ask what you did for gcses, then which a levels/uni you're at / doing

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kashootmyself
what did you all do? There's obviously a limit and I would like to ask what you did for gcses, then which a levels/uni you're at / doing

I did History, Geography, Art and Spanish at GCSE and ofc all the other required ones. For A-level im doing biology, chemistry and psychology - I also did Spanish until xmas then dropped it.
apart from the core.

spanish
business and economics.
ict
italian
religious studies
i could've done one more but teachers gave me extra english classes cuz i didn know any englsih lol
Core subjects including triple science, Art (would not recommend lmao), Business, Comp sci, Food tech, Spanish + had to do Further maths.
Now doing A-levels in Chemistry, English lang (also would not recommend), Psychology + Core maths in year 12 (AQA level 3 certificate I believe).
As for unis, I've applied for Psychology, got 3 offers, one rejection and waiting on a notoriously slow uni.
Honestly just go for what you think you'll enjoy most as the actual subjects you take don't hugely matter (worth noting that sometimes there are foreign language requirements at GCSE for some unis).
for gcses i did:
geography
chemistry
biology
math
english language
IT
physics
Business

for A levels i did:
chemistry, math and IT. (I did biology for my AS and i dropped it in A2)
Original post by swiftie101
for gcses i did:
geography
chemistry
biology
math
english language
IT
physics
Business

for A levels i did:
chemistry, math and IT. (I did biology for my AS and i dropped it in A2)

Sorry, can't help but notice you didn't list GCSE English lit. Did you really manage to get out of it and if so, I wish I knew how 3 years ago :tongue:
GCSE:
Geography- fun, relatively straight forward, got to go on trips, somewhat interesting, watched a lot of documentaries i remember
History - whatever you do: do not do history and geography if you are lazy. I would have to bring in so much homework for both and i was always a bit behind. I didnt really enjoy it, a lot of it was boring (to me) and very content heavy.
Religious Studies- i learnt a fair about and has actually helped me.
German- why did i pick this combo?? there was so much work. I did really enjoy German and i am going back to it and doing a degree but i should've switched History for something a lot easier. A least i knew that i didn't want to continue these subjects.

A level:
Business - Meh.
Psychology - a lot of content and i realised this is not what i want to do
Politics - I am actually going to do a degree in German and International relations (i have already 3 offers)

Advice: don't take 4 very content/difficult subjects unless it is what you really want to do. Try taking a softer subject like media or sociology to help balance it. Unis really do not care what you do for a lot of degrees.

Having a modern language is useful and if you ever want to, you can get onto a language degree course either continuing that language or starting a completely different one (or you can take language modules as part of your degree). They usually only require a grade 5/6 depending on the uni (ik Exeter is a grade 5). Not doing a language doesnt stop you as there are beginners courses as well.
Reply 7

i did apart from the core history latin and music gcse and at a level now i do maths biology physics and pe
Original post by GoldenSugaCube
Sorry, can't help but notice you didn't list GCSE English lit. Did you really manage to get out of it and if so, I wish I knew how 3 years ago :tongue:

haha i was almost gonna do english lit because my teachers almost forced me to but then i managed to get out it and chose to do business instead!
haha i was almost gonna do english lit because my teachers almost forced me to but then i managed to get out it and chose to do business instead!

Oh to be in that position - English lit was my worst grade of the core subjects, I hated it, too much to remember!
Oh to be in that position - English lit was my worst grade of the core subjects, I hated it, too much to remember!

yeah i remember doing it in year 10. so much annotations.
what grade did u end up getting?
yeah i remember doing it in year 10. so much annotations.
what grade did u end up getting?

Gosh the annotations, I literally gave up on doing them well after year 10, couldn't read half my writing anyway :lol:
Ended up with a 7, which I realise is not terrible, but it really stuck out.
thats a really good score!
gosh im so glad i didnt do it, i wouldve ended up with a 4 or a 5.
we did macbeth in grade 10 and it was TORTUREEEEEE. it was literally a different language lol

Gosh the annotations, I literally gave up on doing them well after year 10, couldn't read half my writing anyway :lol:
Ended up with a 7, which I realise is not terrible, but it really stuck out.
thats a really good score!
gosh im so glad i didnt do it, i wouldve ended up with a 4 or a 5.
we did macbeth in grade 10 and it was TORTUREEEEEE. it was literally a different language lol

I'm not just saying this, but you seriously dodged the bullet of boredom. Honestly, Macbeth was only good for the occasional Shakesperian joke, tuned out everything past the fifth scene tbh. Some people were so good at Macbeth though, not a clue how their brains are wired!
Original post by ngthanh_an
Lite Snacks company quality control department regularly samples packets of crisps
to gauge the average contents. During one production run the results were:
Number of Crisps 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Number of Boxes 11 15 61 47 34 22 10
a) What is the mean, median and mode.
b) The company wants to advertise the average number of crisps in a packet.
Which figure should be quoted and why

Could you guys find the way for me to solve this exercise please?

Um, I think you might be in the wrong thread...
Original post by goldensugacube
um, i think you might be in the wrong thread...

lmaooooooooooooooo
when i tell you i wheezeddddd
lmaooooooooooooooo
when i tell you i wheezeddddd

I mean...I certainly didn't come here to do maths :giggle:
I mean...I certainly didn't come here to do maths :giggle:

yes. u came here to do lit

Im still doin my gcses
the options I picked I mostly hate so yh
-comp sci-boring and I only picked cause I thought I wanted to be a computer scientists(dont ever pick a gcse based on what you wanna do on the future or at least dont let that be the sole reason)
tripe sci-SOOOO boring(forced into picking it by my family and I find it boring and since I didnt even care fr science anyways its obviously that I wouldnt like triple
-history-only option I actualy like but then again my school basically ripped away two of our options by making us do an ebacc (basically you hav to a humanities and languages)
french-Idc about it but its okay I guess
and yh the rest are compulsory english maths etc
advice-PLS CHOOSE WHAT YOU WANT , NOT WHAT YOUR FAMILY WANT AND DO WHAT YOU ENJOY THE MOST
Reply 19

Hi, I do:
triple science- I would DEFO advise triple as there are lots of interconnecting ideas providing you like science
maths
english (lit+lang)
further maths- if you like algebra a lot
french- love it and straight forward if you learn VOCAB
spanish- helps to take 2 for exam technique and builds good skills
geography- good if you have a good teacher. Enjoying much more in y11
RS- enjoyed more last year as I'm not so interesting anymore but I would say it's much easier than most GCSEs
For reference I got all 9s in my mocks so these are all perfecting manageable subjects.
For A Levels i am looking to take Bio, Chem, Maths and FM (a lot i know!!) I would love to take a language as have really enjoyed them at GCSE but they aren't as useful for the future. I am considering a maths or science related course at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest