The Student Room Group

Tiffin Applicants 2021

Have you applied for Tiffin? How are your predicted grades looking? Are you looking forward to going? Have you got any responses/emails back? Keep this thread updated to see how it goes!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i got told today that my head of year got called for a recommendation for me. my predicted grades are okkk, i do want to get some a bit higher, currently my avergae is 8 or 8.1, something along those lines lmao. wbu?
Reply 2
Original post by aesha_p
i got told today that my head of year got called for a recommendation for me. my predicted grades are okkk, i do want to get some a bit higher, currently my avergae is 8 or 8.1, something along those lines lmao. wbu?

Thats good, my head of year told me she got called for a letter of recommendation too and we got an email that the interview process starts in March. Im expecting 5 9s and hopefully atleast 3 7s or 8s in our school we only do 8 subjects but my predicted grades could be better.
Reply 3
Original post by adz_14
Thats good, my head of year told me she got called for a letter of recommendation too and we got an email that the interview process starts in March. Im expecting 5 9s and hopefully atleast 3 7s or 8s in our school we only do 8 subjects but my predicted grades could be better.

i can tell you my exact predicted grades so maybe we could give tips to each other?
maths- 8
english lang-8
lit-8
geo-7
french-6 (my worst and most embarrasing predicted grade, hopefully i'll get higher in my upcoming mocks!)
bio-8
physics-7
chem-9
RS-8
and business- 9 but tiffins dont regard that as a gcse subject lmaoo
Reply 4
my predicted grades are:
bio:7+ (this is because i messed up my mocks although my teacher believes i can get a 9)
chem:9
english lang:7-
english lit: 7-
geography:8+
physics:8 (i got a 9 in my mocks so i dont even know how this even makes sense)
maths:9-
spanish:6+ dont even ask about this im surprised i even got this for languages tbh i am surprised im not doing foundation and my teacher think i can get 7,8 or a 9

personally for french or any language you should learn vocab like go quizlet even though our exams are cancelled we stil have to put an act to our teachers that were stil capable of getting a satisfactory grade for us and geography i cannot stress this enough but use the specification and use physics and maths tutor it is literally the most underrated website. Could you help me with english
Reply 5
Original post by adz_14
my predicted grades are:
bio:7+ (this is because i messed up my mocks although my teacher believes i can get a 9)
chem:9
english lang:7-
english lit: 7-
geography:8+
physics:8 (i got a 9 in my mocks so i dont even know how this even makes sense)
maths:9-
spanish:6+ dont even ask about this im surprised i even got this for languages tbh i am surprised im not doing foundation and my teacher think i can get 7,8 or a 9

personally for french or any language you should learn vocab like go quizlet even though our exams are cancelled we stil have to put an act to our teachers that were stil capable of getting a satisfactory grade for us and geography i cannot stress this enough but use the specification and use physics and maths tutor it is literally the most underrated website. Could you help me with english

omg i totally get what you mean! i got an 8 in geo but my teacher predicted me a 7 because of a paper i did in year 9 like stfuu.
your grades are so good though, can you like give some tips for physics because it's my weakest science :/ . I'm aiming for a 9 in maths and i got an 8+ is my last mocks so hopefully i can get there! yess ok, so with english language, trust me on this- it is literally practice- like i did crap on Q5 so i cant help you with that, but i only lost 3 marks in total from q2-q4 (assuming we're the same exam board, i'm AQA). i think it's because i did 2-3 past papers and marked them very harshly lmao. with literature i would recommend reading like university essays etc to get an insight into an advanced way of writing and try to mimic these in your exam. **** sorry for this long message lmaoo hope it was helpful :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by aesha_p
omg i totally get what you mean! i got an 8 in geo but my teacher predicted me a 7 because of a paper i did in year 9 like stfuu.
your grades are so good though, can you like give some tips for physics because it's my weakest science :/ . I'm aiming for a 9 in maths and i got an 8+ is my last mocks so hopefully i can get there! yess ok, so with english language, trust me on this- it is literally practice- like i did crap on Q5 so i cant help you with that, but i only lost 3 marks in total from q2-q4 (assuming we're the same exam board, i'm AQA). i think it's because i did 2-3 past papers and marked them very harshly lmao. with literature i would recommend reading like university essays etc to get an insight into an advanced way of writing and try to mimic these in your exam. **** sorry for this long message lmaoo hope it was helpful :smile:

yhh ikk skls do that its acc so jarring its mainly the teachers kmt but im glad because most of my teachers are pretty fine with me let me not jinx it but just show ur teacher u can do better so he can move ur predicted grade higher, it probably is higher dw like in the system. so my advice for maths and physics is mainly focus on learning equations like go to the spec and print out all the equations that you need for gcses and practice on them because sooner or later we're gonna have some type of exam to assess wt grade we get. and then for physics like the theory (written and information) use the spec and cross out every spec point that you cover in physics it will help you know how much you need to cover and how much youve done. to be honest you have to practice in these two subjects like buy the CGP grade8-9 targeted books theyre so helpful. dont worry i like long paragraphys i typed this message this morning and i forgot to send this sorry. thank you for your advice it is exactly what i needed like its what i needed like i need to write more sophisticated and mimic peoples writing thats good. if you know do you know where to find or a website that has good essays that could link to us. btw did u apply for the girls or boys tiffin grammar school?
Reply 7
Original post by adz_14
yhh ikk skls do that its acc so jarring its mainly the teachers kmt but im glad because most of my teachers are pretty fine with me let me not jinx it but just show ur teacher u can do better so he can move ur predicted grade higher, it probably is higher dw like in the system. so my advice for maths and physics is mainly focus on learning equations like go to the spec and print out all the equations that you need for gcses and practice on them because sooner or later we're gonna have some type of exam to assess wt grade we get. and then for physics like the theory (written and information) use the spec and cross out every spec point that you cover in physics it will help you know how much you need to cover and how much youve done. to be honest you have to practice in these two subjects like buy the CGP grade8-9 targeted books theyre so helpful. dont worry i like long paragraphys i typed this message this morning and i forgot to send this sorry. thank you for your advice it is exactly what i needed like its what i needed like i need to write more sophisticated and mimic peoples writing thats good. if you know do you know where to find or a website that has good essays that could link to us. btw did u apply for the girls or boys tiffin grammar school?

i applied to both but i would prefer to go to boys because i don't want to go to a one gender school lmao. glad i helped, your tips have helped a lot too, i was actually revising physics before i read this message haha. tbh i usually search up like for example- 'frankenstein a level' or 'frankenstein university essay'. just for a heads up, you'll rarely find a full essay, usually just a few key ideas which you can further elaborate on.
Reply 8
wait im so confused you do realise if youre a boy you go to the boys grammar school and if youre a girl you go to the girls grammar, im pretty sure you can't apply to both. thats a good idea in english we do macbeth inspector called and power and conflict which is okay i guess but we still need to practice like a lot
Reply 9
Original post by adz_14
wait im so confused you do realise if youre a boy you go to the boys grammar school and if youre a girl you go to the girls grammar, im pretty sure you can't apply to both. thats a good idea in english we do macbeth inspector called and power and conflict which is okay i guess but we still need to practice like a lot

yeah, basically tiffins girls ONLY takes girls and tiffins boys takes girl and boys but that only applies for sixth form, otherwise it is only boys. wait are you a girl or boy because your username doesn't reveal a lot haha. also for the girls boys thing, you can check out their website-- they explain it better than me lmao
Haha, im a tiffin yr13 student, been there since yr 7, really didnt ever think they'd be a tsr thread about it!

what dyu guys think tiffin can give you that your skl cant,

btw if u think just going there is gonna make u smarter or more likely to go to a top uni, ur wrong, (im saying that although I hold an offer from Cambridge!)
Reply 11
ohh then thats amazing it would be more better with girls i like mixed schools more, im a boy and ive applied for tiffins boys and i doubt im going to get in because they ask if ive been excluded in years 10 and 11 and ive been excluded for one day in year 10 for taking a board remote and switching off all the boards which was funny at the time but very stupid now because it could be that stops me from entering
Reply 12
Original post by WassupLadz
Haha, im a tiffin yr13 student, been there since yr 7, really didnt ever think they'd be a tsr thread about it!

btw if u think just going there is gonna make u smarter or more likely to go to a top uni, ur wrong, (im saying that although I hold an offer from Cambridge!)

wow thats great, an offer from cambridge thats just brilliant. I guess my schools rate for pupils to get the highest grade isnt very high and its mostly messing around in those years and the teachers dont really take much seriously and ive read what tiffin offers by subject and they have some great extra curricular activities. im coming to tiffin to get a better education not a smarter one and the downside is that i dont want to become one of those tryhards that think theyre clever than everyone because i despise that alot
ye

ah well done for that! i don't think that a school will make me smarter, i think anyone can be equally smart as a tiffin student if theyre willing to put in the effort and its more dependent on the person rather than the school. however tiffins does open up many opportunities as they have a variety of extra-circulars and just in general, being around those with a mindset similar to yours helps you achieve your best :smile: the reason i dont want to stay at my school is because they don't have the subjects i want to do, but even if they did- tiffins has always been a school of interest for me
Original post by adz_14
ohh then thats amazing it would be more better with girls i like mixed schools more, im a boy and ive applied for tiffins boys and i doubt im going to get in because they ask if ive been excluded in years 10 and 11 and ive been excluded for one day in year 10 for taking a board remote and switching off all the boards which was funny at the time but very stupid now because it could be that stops me from entering

lmaoo tbh that sounds hilarious but i could never do that. hopefully it won't restrict you from getting into the school you want, i doubt it will especially if it was in year 10 but idk
Original post by aesha_p
ye

ah well done for that! i don't think that a school will make me smarter, i think anyone can be equally smart as a tiffin student if theyre willing to put in the effort and its more dependent on the person rather than the school. however tiffins does open up many opportunities as they have a variety of extra-circulars and just in general, being around those with a mindset similar to yours helps you achieve your best :smile: the reason i dont want to stay at my school is because they don't have the subjects i want to do, but even if they did- tiffins has always been a school of interest for me

yep the mindset really helps! I just wanted to make sure you guys didnt think it would be easy there. There are teachers there to teach you but most of al its about helping each other grow and become better as a person really.
Original post by adz_14
wow thats great, an offer from cambridge thats just brilliant. I guess my schools rate for pupils to get the highest grade isnt very high and its mostly messing around in those years and the teachers dont really take much seriously and ive read what tiffin offers by subject and they have some great extra curricular activities. im coming to tiffin to get a better education not a smarter one and the downside is that i dont want to become one of those tryhards that think theyre clever than everyone because i despise that alot

Yh teachers are good but I say it with a grain of salt because many people hate the way they teach, but that's life really, its about working on your own but being with good friends and having a good mindset.

I just applied because of family traditions and why not? The only problem is. No Computer Science even tho tiffin Girls does have computer science. But I don't think I am going to change my gender for that
Reply 18
LOOOOOL. i felt that icl. what r ur predicted grades like
Original post by ll ACR ll
I just applied because of family traditions and why not? The only problem is. No Computer Science even tho tiffin Girls does have computer science. But I don't think I am going to change my gender for that

Doing computer science at a level shouldn’t stop you from pursuing it as a degree. Yh you might like it, but you might love and do another subject. Keep your options open!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending