The Student Room Group

Lost motivation to even study and revise for Mocks

Hi,

With this pandemic i have literally now lost the motivation to revise for the A Level mocks after feb half term.

With school online lessons and class work/homework, sometimes we get enormous amounts of work on top of the revision.

The teachers dont actually realise this but we (year 13's) are actually suffering so much coz of workload and added pressure and stress due to exams cancelled as we are in third lockdown.

I cant practically look at the screen for long as my eyes are hurt.

I am bored most of the time outside of revision and school work and lessons.

Although i do try to exercise at ho.e pr go for a stroll in my garden.

My parents are absolutely crazy like really. All they do is tell me to REVISE REVISE REVISE even after SCHOOL DAYS.

They literally take me outside once in a week rarely and thats not enough.

Last week i said i wanted to go our neighbours house who are a young couple (aged 31 and 32 respectively). My parents were like no!

I argued with them and told them that i cant work work that long simply because thats not healthy and productive abd my mental health is going to be insane.

Anyone feeling the same as me?

What do i do? Any tips?

Scroll to see replies

Oh my I feel the same, I'm in year 12 so thankfully no mocks, but my teachers are setting classwork for a one hour lesson that takes me over 2 hours to finish, plus all the homework that's becoming harder and harder. And I have the same kind of parents - revision all day.

But I am slowly adapting so here are my tips:

Don't do the classwork. I'm assuming your teachers don't mark classwork anymore? Take notes on what's important and do get some practice but don't do all the questions they set. At the very most spend 90 minutes for each lesson - the maximum. There's no point doing a ton of questions just because the teacher set it you - you know how much practice is enough, you know when you've got the hang of it.

'Do' as your parents say. I've had countless arguements with mine and it turned out all to be in vain. What do I do? Sit at my computer and do what I want. Hopefully they don't stare at you as you sit in your room otherwise this won't work. But that's what I'm doing and it's going well for me. Obviously sitting at a screen all day is unhealthy so if I'm actually doing revision and I don't need my computer I'll turn it off and I do try to kill as much time away from the computer as possible.

Organise your revision. You don't want to revise all day but you do need to do enough. I use a list of unfinished homework and revision tasks to keep myself organised so I know what I need to do.

Make the most of your weekly going outside. I haven't been out of the house at all for weeks and my garden has been keeping me alive. Even if you can't go outside walking around the house and looking at the window has become surprisingly pleasant.

Communicate with others. I've been on my phone a lot lately, I've been talking to my friends a lot because I've been feeling really lonely. My parents are actually getting annoyed because I'm on my phone that much. I haven't told anyone the full extent of my situation and I'm not planning to, but simply having friends to talk to has kept my sanity intact.

Do something productive. I never really played games and I've always had quite a boring life. Now sometimes I'm sitting at the computer, unwilling to revise, and I don't know what to do. So I've finally been productive, I've gone and researched universities and careers and learnt new things.

That's it really, hope you find this useful!
Reply 2
Lol did you read my mind?? I am feeling the EXACT same as you
Original post by insol
Lol did you read my mind?? I am feeling the EXACT same as you

Awh really??? Ugh I thought I was the only one :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by aaron2578
Awh really??? Ugh I thought I was the only one :frown:

Glad we can relate. 😁
Holy **** I’m in the same position, I’m a year 13 student doing 4 a-levels and I’ve legit lost all motivation i cba to revise. I need to get out of this runt if I want to go to uni. You’re legit a mindreader
Reply 6
Original post by danishh0007
Holy **** I’m in the same position, I’m a year 13 student doing 4 a-levels and I’ve legit lost all motivation i cba to revise. I need to get out of this runt if I want to go to uni. You’re legit a mindreader

Am i? Thanks for those words. 🙂
Reply 7
I literally did like 2 hrs chem organic chem topic revision.
Original post by Riya Das
Hi,

With this pandemic i have literally now lost the motivation to revise for the A Level mocks after feb half term.

With school online lessons and class work/homework, sometimes we get enormous amounts of work on top of the revision.

The teachers dont actually realise this but we (year 13's) are actually suffering so much coz of workload and added pressure and stress due to exams cancelled as we are in third lockdown.

Last week i said i wanted to go our neighbours house who are a young couple (aged 31 and 32 respectively). My parents were like no!

That is against lockdown - that's why they said 'No'.

The pressure is always there in Year 13 - infact I think it's actually less than normal as it's not all about one exam .. get more exercise, take breaks, eat healthily.
Oh my I feel the same, I'm in year 12 so thankfully no mocks, but my teachers are setting classwork for a one hour lesson that takes me over 2 hours to finish, plus all the homework that's becoming harder and harder. And I have the same kind of parents - revision all day.

But I am slowly adapting so here are my tips:

Don't do the classwork. I'm assuming your teachers don't mark classwork anymore? Take notes on what's important and do get some practice but don't do all the questions they set. At the very most spend 90 minutes for each lesson - the maximum. There's no point doing a ton of questions just because the teacher set it you - you know how much practice is enough, you know when you've got the hang of it.

I do check classwork ... not impressed by this suggestion.
Reply 10
Original post by Muttley79
That is against lockdown - that's why they said 'No'.

The pressure is always there in Year 13 - infact I think it's actually less than normal as it's not all about one exam .. get more exercise, take breaks, eat healthily.

no i feel like there's more pressure and stress due to the uncertainty and how our grades are now unpredictable. If we were still taking exams, I could predict what grade I will be getting but now not any more :frown:
I do check classwork ... not impressed by this suggestion.

Then you are one of a small number of teachers who care about their students. Thank you

However there isn't anything wrong with my suggestion - in the case of an excessive workload and a teacher that doesn't mark classwork (which is the case with everyone I know with student from three sixth forms/colleges), it would be better to write down the essential notes and do enough practice for yourself. I did also say to do revision so this way the student would cope with the workload much better without missing out on practice/revision.
Then you are one of a small number of teachers who care about their students. Thank you

However there isn't anything wrong with my suggestion - in the case of an excessive workload and a teacher that doesn't mark classwork (which is the case with everyone I know with student from three sixth forms/colleges), it would be better to write down the essential notes and do enough practice for yourself. I did also say to do revision so this way the student would cope with the workload much better without missing out on practice/revision.

In Maths classwork is the amount of pratice needed - I set differentiated work ... at this stage eveything is geared up to preparing students to complete the spec and get ready for any assessments we will be required to do once the consultation decides what is happening.
In Maths classwork is the amount of pratice needed - I set differentiated work ... at this stage eveything is geared up to preparing students to complete the spec and get ready for any assessments we will be required to do once the consultation decides what is happening.

I don't know how much work you set but surely 2+ hours worth of classwork is too much for a lesson? I think in distance learning the line between classwork and homework is blurring which leads to too much work set. And trust that students will revise - they will practice if they need.
Original post by insol
no i feel like there's more pressure and stress due to the uncertainty and how our grades are now unpredictable. If we were still taking exams, I could predict what grade I will be getting but now not any more :frown:

I'm a teacher and it's less than usual as it's not down to one exam.
I don't know how much work you set but surely 2+ hours worth of classwork is too much for a lesson? I think in distance learning the line between classwork and homework is blurring which leads to too much work set. And trust that students will revise - they will practice if they need.

We don't know whether that was one day or more's work and the OP is struggling to focus. Studets should spend as mch time outside lessons working as they do in lessons.

Hmm - not sure about your last statement - if a student says 'they are doing their own revision' I'd want to see evidence of what that is and make sure they are getting through their action plan.
Reply 16
I'm a teacher and it's less than usual as it's not down to one exam.

Yeah but i think if you look at it from a student point of view, we are pressured and I'm pretty sure everyone can agree with me.
Original post by insol
Yeah but i think if you look at it from a student point of view, we are pressured and I'm pretty sure everyone can agree with me.

Year 13 is ALWAYS pressured ... you have nothing to compare it to.
Reply 18
lol same bruh im in the same position as u guys, i cba anymore
Reply 19
Year 13 is ALWAYS pressured ... you have nothing to compare it to.

Well, I guess you're entitled to your own opinion but I know everyone can agree with me. I mean last year wasn't very good so there is a reason for feeling this way. Yes, year 13 is always pressured but I think with lockdown and everything, we all feel very demotivated and at the same time we know we have to work to get the grades we want. It the additional uncertainty and stress that adds to the pressure already there.

Quick Reply

Latest