The Student Room Group

Sheffield University entry requirements help

I have Btec national extended diploma D*D*D* and A level language with grade B. Iam confused about the entry requirements for biomedical science in the university of Sheffield. I was wondering if anyone got an offer from them having similar qualification as mine and if anyone can tell me if they would accept me for biomedical ?
(edited 3 years ago)
I haven't done BTEC, but I can give you my take on it.

I've checked the biomed degrees fromt he following webpages, and they seem similar to the other biomed programs:
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2021/biomedical-science-mbiomedsci#entryreqs
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2021/biomedical-science-bsc#entryreqs

Your BTEC should be in Applied Science, Medical Science, or Forensic Science
Your A Level needs to be in a science and needs to be at grade A.
A science subject is considered to be: Chemistry, Biology (or Human Biology), Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics, Psychology, or Geography (I don't understand why Psychology or Geography are considered sciences, especially when I did both, but that's what they asked for)

Provided you have done the BTEC in one of the BTEC subjects mentioned above, your BTEC is more than OK (congrats on the grades by the way).
Your A Level in a language at grade B won't be considered suitable.

To be safe, I'd recommend you contact their undergrad admissions to be sure: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/study/askus
Reply 2
I thought there are two btec requirements one is OCF which needs A level and the other one is Rqf which doesn’t need I guess
Reply 3
Original post by MindMax2000
I haven't done BTEC, but I can give you my take on it.

I've checked the biomed degrees fromt he following webpages, and they seem similar to the other biomed programs:
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2021/biomedical-science-mbiomedsci#entryreqs
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2021/biomedical-science-bsc#entryreqs

Your BTEC should be in Applied Science, Medical Science, or Forensic Science
Your A Level needs to be in a science and needs to be at grade A.
A science subject is considered to be: Chemistry, Biology (or Human Biology), Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics, Psychology, or Geography (I don't understand why Psychology or Geography are considered sciences, especially when I did both, but that's what they asked for)

Provided you have done the BTEC in one of the BTEC subjects mentioned above, your BTEC is more than OK (congrats on the grades by the way).
Your A Level in a language at grade B won't be considered suitable.

To be safe, I'd recommend you contact their undergrad admissions to be sure: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/study/askus

Also it says a native language is accepted as a third A level
Reply 4
Omg 3 distinctions?! In what subject

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by jae jae
Omg 3 distinctions?! In what subject

Spoiler

Applied science
Reply 6
Original post by Jhggfggvcg
Applied science

The tips is study hard for the exams as they have one of the highest point. For assignment start then a soon as it’s given to you and when you finish it before the deadline make ur teacher to check it before submitting. The teacher can give you very good feedbacks that you can improve on your assignment which will boost ur grade.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
The tips is study hard for the exams as they have one of the highest point. For assignment start then a soon as it’s given to you and when you finish it before the deadline make ur teacher to check it before submitting. The teacher can give you very good feedbacks that you can improve on your assignment which will boost ur grade.

If you want to achieve D*D*D* you will need to sacrifice ur social life
Reply 8

to get D* did you have to get D in every assignment or is 1 or 2 Merits allowed?
Reply 9

Yeah that’s fine

Spoiler

Reply 10
Original post by ash9080
to get D* did you have to get D in every assignment or is 1 or 2 Merits allow

I think at least 2 merits and the rest distinction you can achieve at least D*D*D
I think at least 2 merits and the rest distinction you can achieve at least D*D*D

Can’t wait to start my course in September!!
Reply 12
Original post by jae jae
Can’t wait to start my course in September!!

Hope you will enjoy it :smile:
I have Btec national extended diploma D*D*D* and A level language with grade B. Iam confused about the entry requirements for biomedical science in the university of Sheffield. I was wondering if anyone got an offer from them having similar qualification as mine and if anyone can tell me if they would accept me for biomedical ?

Hi @Jhggfggvcg,

It seems like @MindMax2000 has provided some great links to the entry requirements for Biomedical science. If you are unsure if your specific BTEC qualification will be accepted, I would definitely recommend getting in touch with the admissions tutor for the department ( [email protected] ).

If you have any further questions about studying at Sheffield, do let me know! I studied a closely related course, and took some Biomedical Science modules during my masters degree. You can also talk to current students via the Chat to Us page - if you filter by subject area, you'll see that Zoya, Melissa, and Yasamin are all studying Biomed :smile:

- Ben
Sheffield Graduate
BSc Molecular Biology, MSc Human and Molecular Genetics
Reply 14
Original post by University of Sheffield Alumni
Hi @Jhggfggvcg,

It seems like @MindMax2000 has provided some great links to the entry requirements for Biomedical science. If you are unsure if your specific BTEC qualification will be accepted, I would definitely recommend getting in touch with the admissions tutor for the department ( [email protected] ).

If you have any further questions about studying at Sheffield, do let me know! I studied a closely related course, and took some Biomedical Science modules during my masters degree. You can also talk to current students via the Chat to Us page - if you filter by subject area, you'll see that Zoya, Melissa, and Yasamin are all studying Biomed :smile:

- Ben
Sheffield Graduate

Hi Iam taking the Btec national extended diploma
Reply 15
Hi @Jhggfggvcg,

- Ben
Sheffield Graduate

hi can you I have the admission number please
Hi Iam taking the Btec national extended diploma

hi can you I have the admission number please

Hi @Jhggfggvcg,

You can read more about the specific modules approved from the BTEC National Extended Diploma on the Biomedical Science additional entry requirements information web page. On this page, you can see the specific modules accepted for entry. Courses with AAB entry require DDD, with courses with AAA at A-level requiring D*DD. You can see a full list of the Biomedical Science courses on offer at Sheffield on the department web pages here.

Due to social distancing regulations, the majority of staff are currently working remotely (including admissions). This unfortunately means telephone calls may not be answered at this time, so I personally would recommend emailing if you can. If you want to contact the biomedical science admissions tutor, you can email [email protected] (tel: +44 114 222 2319). You can also contact the university central admissions office at [email protected]

Do let me know if there's anything else I can help with!

- Ben :smile:
Sheffield Graduate
Reply 17
Hi @Jhggfggvcg,

You can read more about the specific modules approved from the BTEC National Extended Diploma on the Biomedical Science additional entry requirements information web page. On this page, you can see the specific modules accepted for entry. Courses with AAB entry require DDD, with courses with AAA at A-level requiring D*DD. You can see a full list of the Biomedical Science courses on offer at Sheffield on the department web pages here.

Due to social distancing regulations, the majority of staff are currently working remotely (including admissions). This unfortunately means telephone calls may not be answered at this time, so I personally would recommend emailing if you can. If you want to contact the biomedical science admissions tutor, you can email [email protected] (tel: +44 114 222 2319). You can also contact the university central admissions office at [email protected]

Do let me know if there's anything else I can help with!

- Ben :smile:
Sheffield Graduate

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending