The Student Room Group

Is this soo many calories

I’ve been loosing weight for a bit but now i’m incorporating dumbbells into my routine.
As a 18year old female, 62kg, 166cm who does 45mins weights and 20 mins HIIT workout 4x a week, is eating 1600calories too much
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve been loosing weight for a bit but now i’m incorporating dumbbells into my routine.
As a 18year old female, 62kg, 166cm who does 45mins weights and 20 mins HIIT workout 4x a week, is eating 1600calories too much

also i don’t properly calorie count i just estimate
If your losing weight then its not too much.
Reply 3

i'm male and 5ft 10 and when i try to lose weight i aim for that much .......so i'd say yeah perhaps aim for 1400 cals if you can or 1500 tops...
Reply 4
Original post by ANM775
i'm male and 5ft 10 and when i try to lose weight i aim for that much .......so i'd say yeah perhaps aim for 1400 cals if you can or 1500 tops...

shouldn't you be eating like 2,000 for a 500cal deficit? If you're a guy, 5'10 and lets say we're the same weight, age and exercise the same amount ur maintenance is like 2,500.
That’s not too much at all. When loosing weight there’s always the temptation of making your deficit as big as possible but doing that will just mess with your metabolism and you’ll struggle to not gain weight if you eat over that amount so 1,600 is a good amount I’d say. Don’t go below 1400 really and certainly don’t go under 1200- that’s the amount required for a toddler.
Reply 6
Original post by lyates920
That’s not too much at all. When loosing weight there’s always the temptation of making your deficit as big as possible but doing that will just mess with your metabolism and you’ll struggle to not gain weight if you eat over that amount so 1,600 is a good amount I’d say. Don’t go below 1400 really and certainly don’t go under 1200- that’s the amount required for a toddler.

thankyou, I was having a bit of a freak out last night as I was having a bad body image day. I'm thinking that eating at 1600 means that I will also have leeway to decrease calories if i need to as i loose more weight (metabolic adaptation?). So if I do need to decrease I can go from 1600->1500/1400 rather than going from 1400->1200. that's a better idea right?
I've got to the point in my lifestyle change that eating at a deficit feels like second nature as its been a few months now and for some reason that scares me as there's a stigma that weightloss should be really restrictive and you should suffer through it when ik that's not the case. idk how to stop being so obsessive sometimes tho, its been 3 months and I've seen a huge change but recently i check everyday hoping for change when i know it'll take another few months to see further progress
thankyou, I was having a bit of a freak out last night as I was having a bad body image day. I'm thinking that eating at 1600 means that I will also have leeway to decrease calories if i need to as i loose more weight (metabolic adaptation?). So if I do need to decrease I can go from 1600->1500/1400 rather than going from 1400->1200. that's a better idea right?
I've got to the point in my lifestyle change that eating at a deficit feels like second nature as its been a few months now and for some reason that scares me as there's a stigma that weightloss should be really restrictive and you should suffer through it when ik that's not the case. idk how to stop being so obsessive sometimes tho, its been 3 months and I've seen a huge change but recently i check everyday hoping for change when i know it'll take another few months to see further progress

I’d say that would work.
Calories are just made up in a way; they’re just a value of a unit of energy that human beings have come up with. They’re not to be feared and we’re not to be shamed or feel guilty about. They’re just a number. If you occasionally go over your deficit it won’t undo 3 months worth of progress.
There’s nothing wrong with wanting to loose weight by any means and it can help us feel good about ourselves but not every single day needs to be dedicated to a deficit. I was completely the same I ate in a deficit and then when I lost my desired amount and went back to maintaining it, the amount I was eating felt really weird.
It can be slightly addictive as you’ve seen results and it’s when you see results there can be a shift into obsessiveness.
Restriction is never the way as it’s just simply not sustainable. A lot of food was created to be enjoyed so we should never deprive ourselves of things that will bring us joy.
I’ve been living with the phrase ‘don’t spend 95% of your life trying to weight 5% less’
also i don’t properly calorie count i just estimate

Wouldn't recommend this. I usually weigh everything if I'm calorie counting. You'd be surprised how inaccurate you can be estimating! Just get an app for it.
Reply 9
Original post by ashtolga23
Wouldn't recommend this. I usually weigh everything if I'm calorie counting. You'd be surprised how inaccurate you can be estimating! Just get an app for it.

thanks for the advice however I will pass only because for me it actually leads to failure! i used to do it in the past and it would stress me out loads, in this 'journey' i did it for a month to learn how many calories are in my foods and when I'm meal prepping i will weight out things to make sure i am eating, for example, 200cal chicken and not 400cal - so I'm not completely estimating i do have a pretty close idea. dinner i do have to estimate but again, because i know what 200cal chicken looks like ill try and eat that much, I've found that this has worked for me more than an app has! especially because some days you do just eat more or less and apps don't account for that. ik it works for most people tho so ty for the advice x
thanks for the advice however I will pass only because for me it actually leads to failure! i used to do it in the past and it would stress me out loads, in this 'journey' i did it for a month to learn how many calories are in my foods and when I'm meal prepping i will weight out things to make sure i am eating, for example, 200cal chicken and not 400cal - so I'm not completely estimating i do have a pretty close idea. dinner i do have to estimate but again, because i know what 200cal chicken looks like ill try and eat that much, I've found that this has worked for me more than an app has! especially because some days you do just eat more or less and apps don't account for that. ik it works for most people tho so ty for the advice x

Ah fair enough, completely get that! I have days off because it can be tedious.

Wish you luck!
I’d say that would work.
Calories are just made up in a way; they’re just a value of a unit of energy that human beings have come up with. They’re not to be feared and we’re not to be shamed or feel guilty about. They’re just a number. If you occasionally go over your deficit it won’t undo 3 months worth of progress.
There’s nothing wrong with wanting to loose weight by any means and it can help us feel good about ourselves but not every single day needs to be dedicated to a deficit. I was completely the same I ate in a deficit and then when I lost my desired amount and went back to maintaining it, the amount I was eating felt really weird.
It can be slightly addictive as you’ve seen results and it’s when you see results there can be a shift into obsessiveness.
Restriction is never the way as it’s just simply not sustainable. A lot of food was created to be enjoyed so we should never deprive ourselves of things that will bring us joy.
I’ve been living with the phrase ‘don’t spend 95% of your life trying to weight 5% less’

thank u sm for this :smile: i actually recalculated and found that my average is 1500 as some days i just eat more or less! i feel fine eating at my weight loss calories so maintenance is gonna be weird when i eventually get there, what did you add to your diet?
thank u sm for this :smile: i actually recalculated and found that my average is 1500 as some days i just eat more or less! i feel fine eating at my weight loss calories so maintenance is gonna be weird when i eventually get there, what did you add to your diet?

Once I’d done mine I kind of thought that I wanted to go back to ‘normal’ in that before my diet I was pretty good at maintaining my weight just by eating the amount that I feel like my body needs. At first that was a bit scary because I had these visions of just binging but our bodies are pretty good at knowing how much they need.
Once I’d done mine I kind of thought that I wanted to go back to ‘normal’ in that before my diet I was pretty good at maintaining my weight just by eating the amount that I feel like my body needs. At first that was a bit scary because I had these visions of just binging but our bodies are pretty good at knowing how much they need.

i’m glad it went well for you! i feel like i’m eating what i’m body needs now though but i’m definitely in a deficit as i’m loosing weight?
i’m glad it went well for you! i feel like i’m eating what i’m body needs now though but i’m definitely in a deficit as i’m loosing weight?

That’s good keep it up! Deficits are good until we’re restricting to the point where our bodies are always hungry.
Pushing up your daily calories when you want to come out of your deficit could just be easy little things like a few snacks really you won’t have to eat a whole extra meal that’s what I found anyway.
Reply 15
shouldn't you be eating like 2,000 for a 500cal deficit? If you're a guy, 5'10 and lets say we're the same weight, age and exercise the same amount ur maintenance is like 2,500.

my maintence is around 2000, if i eat 2000 i'm not gonna gain any weight or lose any.

i'm not sure where you got 2500 from? sometimes the government like to say a man should eat 2500 and a woman 2000 but that is wrong. no wonder the nation is so fat!

when i input my stats into online calculators they tell me my maintenance is around 2000. and by personal experience i've noticed also that when i eat 2000 my weight stays the same....
Original post by ANM775
my maintence is around 2000, if i eat 2000 i'm not gonna gain any weight or lose any.

i'm not sure where you got 2500 from? sometimes the government like to say a man should eat 2500 and a woman 2000 but that is wrong. no wonder the nation is so fat!

when i input my stats into online calculators they tell me my maintenance is around 2000. and by personal experience i've noticed also that when i eat 2000 my weight stays the same....

how much do you exercise?
sedentary, light(1-3days), moderate (4-5days) or heavy (5-6days)?
Reply 17
how much do you exercise?
sedentary, light(1-3days), moderate (4-5days) or heavy (5-6days)?

atm i'd say light as we're in lockdown.
before lockdown i was exercising 5 days a week
Original post by ANM775
atm i'd say light as we're in lockdown.
before lockdown i was exercising 5 days a week

ah yh that makes sense according to google (which obviously isn’t 100% reliable) our maintenances are actually quite similar as i have a higher activity level
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
If your losing weight then its not too much.

also random question, ik 10k steps a day is advised but I'm so sensitive to the cold so i really don't like going on walks but i have a stationary bike at home - would like 30-60mins cycling at a decent pace suffice for my lack of steps? ontop of hiit and weights?

Quick Reply

Latest