The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Bolton to Coventry

I live in Bolton but I would rather commute than live in accommodation since accommodation is inconvenient for me. Would it be possible to commute? The train ride is about 2 hours, but I don't mind. I'm more concerned that the university would deny me for the distance.
Reply 1
Original post by ChloeP1291
I live in Bolton but I would rather commute than live in accommodation since accommodation is inconvenient for me. Would it be possible to commute? The train ride is about 2 hours, but I don't mind. I'm more concerned that the university would deny me for the distance.

2 hours is alot, if you have like a 9am start for lecture. You'd have to wake up around 6am at the latest. Even then you'd have to really hurry.
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Original post by ibyghee
2 hours is alot, if you have like a 9am start for lecture. You'd have to wake up around 6am at the latest. Even then you'd have to really hurry.

I wake up at 5am, anyways
Reply 3
What course is this for? You might be fine on a course with few contact hours, but 4 hours commute 5 days a week would be a lot.
Reply 4
I wake up at 5am, anyways

I mean sure, if that's ok with you. The university would not deny you for that.
Original post by Interea
What course is this for? You might be fine on a course with few contact hours, but 4 hours commute 5 days a week would be a lot.

Creative writing. The website says it has about 12 hours of contact hours per week
Reply 6
Creative writing. The website says it has about 12 hours of contact hours per week

You might be okay then if they end up on just a couple days a week, but you could be unlucky and have some hours on every day. Either way, the only unis I'm aware of requiring you to live within a certain radius of the uni are Oxford and Cambridge, so they're not going to kick you out/reject you for not living closer.

Hey @ChloeP1291,

Thank you for your message.

In response to your query, commuting 2 hours is quite a trek to get to Coventry. There may be disruptions on your travels which can make it difficult for you to access classes if you need to be on campus. However, it is possible if you're adamant about commuting. Coventry is unlikely to deny you unless your course requires you to be on campus - i.e. healthcare courses. It's advisable for you to rent accommodation for uni as days can be long and exhausting making the commute more draining if anything.
Due to the pandemic and the situation with Coronavirus, it's unlikely you're required to be on campus. Though, it doesn't hurt to contact admissions for your course to ask for further information in case you need to go into uni.
Is there a particular reason you want to commute?

I hope this helps :smile:

Veronica
Dietetics and Human Nutrition Student
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hey @ChloeP1291,

Thank you for your message.

In response to your query, commuting 2 hours is quite a trek to get to Coventry. There may be disruptions on your travels which can make it difficult for you to access classes if you need to be on campus. However, it is possible if you're adamant about commuting. Coventry is unlikely to deny you unless your course requires you to be on campus - i.e. healthcare courses. It's advisable for you to rent accommodation for uni as days can be long and exhausting making the commute more draining if anything.
Due to the pandemic and the situation with Coronavirus, it's unlikely you're required to be on campus. Though, it doesn't hurt to contact admissions for your course to ask for further information in case you need to go into uni.
Is there a particular reason you want to commute?

I hope this helps :smile:

Veronica

Thank you for the reply! I don’t start university for a while yet (about a year), but I’ve decided against accommodation for several reasons. First, there’s the financial worries I have about accommodation. I’m not confident that I can pay for it or pay it off in debt. I have younger family I’m often needed to look after and I want to be as available as I can be. I also have a dog of my own who I need for emotional support and it would be difficult to find a place to have her. I need to have her with me since she helps me balance my emotions, but due to UK laws on emotional support animals, I can’t apply her to be one officially since they’re not recognised by the law.
Thank you for the reply! I don’t start university for a while yet (about a year), but I’ve decided against accommodation for several reasons. First, there’s the financial worries I have about accommodation. I’m not confident that I can pay for it or pay it off in debt. I have younger family I’m often needed to look after and I want to be as available as I can be. I also have a dog of my own who I need for emotional support and it would be difficult to find a place to have her. I need to have her with me since she helps me balance my emotions, but due to UK laws on emotional support animals, I can’t apply her to be one officially since they’re not recognised by the law.

Hi @ChloeP1291,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I imagine it's quite tough managing everything, as well as thinking about the potential financial burden of accommodation, which is understandable. It seems like you know yourself enough to know what you need to do.
Have you thought about discussing how you will be able to manage everything in terms of the expectations of your course, what the lecturers will require from you, your expectations for yourself and whether you will be able to manage the commute (when necessary) to uni? If you have any worries or doubts, it's best to speak to admissions for your course to get a clear idea of the kinds of things you know you will need to do to allow yourself time to find support, whether it's financially, mentally or emotionally so that you have something to fall back on when things get hard. There's also financial support available at the university, if you need it or at least take a look at it to see your options or contact them for more information. Make sure to inquire about the student support available to you when you need it. The more prepared you are for what's to come, the easier it will be to manage everything.

I hope this helps.

Veronica

Quick Reply

Latest