The Student Room Group

I want a macbook but cant afford it

I cant afford to pay for a MacBook and only have enough for a £400 HP laptop, what can I do?

Scroll to see replies

Live within your means like everyone else
Original post by Anonymous
I cant afford to pay for a MacBook and only have enough for a £400 HP laptop, what can I do?

Nothing.
Reply 3
get a means of income
Reply 4
Live within your means like everyone else

Original post by 5hyl33n
Nothing.

Original post by sy!¡
get a means of income

Is it worth it to get a £500 loan from the back or pay in monthly installments because i cant afford paying for it outright, only a £400 HP laptop
Reply 5
Is it worth it to get a £500 loan from the back or pay in monthly installments because i cant afford paying for it outright, only a £400 HP laptop

don’t get a loan from the bank. pay in monthly instalments seems like a good idea.
Get a £400 HP laptop. Not being sarcastic or anything, genuinely that is the best option by far and away.

What is the interest rate on this loan?
Are you confident that you will be able to pay it back with in the required time period?

Generally getting a loan is a bad idea.
Why get a Mac when you literally don't need one?

You could get a laptop that's arguably better than a Mac for probably half the price.
Reply 9
Original post by sy!¡
don’t get a loan from the bank. pay in monthly instalments seems like a good idea.

Ok

Original post by NedgarDavids
Get a £400 HP laptop. Not being sarcastic or anything, genuinely that is the best option by far and away.

But my friends have macbook and say its better and that HP is for broke people

Original post by glassalice
What is the interest rate on this loan?
Are you confident that you will be able to pay it back with in the required time period?

Generally getting a loan is a bad idea.

Interest rate is 14.9% and i think its payable with maintenance loan helping to pay

Original post by MidgetFever
Why get a Mac when you literally don't need one?

You could get a laptop that's arguably better than a Mac for probably half the price.

my friends and people say that MacBook is the best laptop to buy and all other brands, barring top gaming laptops like alienware, are not worth it and bad

Not unless you are sure you can pay it off.

A MacBook isn’t a necessity.
Reply 11
What would you be using your new purchase for?

I would have thought that a £400 HP laptop would fit the bill perfectly.
my friends and people say that MacBook is the best laptop to buy and all other brands, barring top gaming laptops like alienware, are not worth it and bad

Aye - They say it because they're appreciating it for the brand, not the actual specs themselves.
"HP is for broke people"

I'm sorry but this is just a materialistic disgusting attitude. This is why people end up getting into massive debt because "hurrr durrr muh top brand is only acceptable thing". No. ****ing no. Your friend is full of ****. I'm from a poor background myself, I appreciate that it sucks when you want to get a more high end option but if you can't afford it you can't afford it, debt is just a slippery slope you don't want to go down.

Aside from the ridiculous mindset of "hp is for broke people" they're just not accurate in saying in saying all other brands are bad. Maybe not as good as Macbook sure, that's why they're cheaper but they're still absolutely fine for the job and way better value for money.
Original post by Kerzen
What would you be using your new purchase for?

I would have thought that a £400 HP laptop would fit the bill perfectly.

i want it for university

Original post by MidgetFever
Aye - They say it because they're appreciating it for the brand, not the actual specs themselves.

ok tnx ill take this into consideration
As someone with a Macbook, they are not that good. Mine freezes all the time and I'm constantly losing my work. Let's be real, having a Macbook is only for the show, and if I could turn back time and not buy it, I would.

Also, 'HP is for broke people'. You're broke then lol. You're the one who can't afford a Macbook, not us. If you want to go completely broke trying to look rich then that's on you. But you will regret it.
Reply 16
get a used one if you want one so badly
I’ve got a MacBook and oh my god they are NOT worth it! And certainly not worth a loan. You’re paying for the brand not the quality.

Your friends don't seem to know much about computers.

I always look at value for money, even though I am wealthy. Thinking that you must use debt to buy the latest trendy brand is a recipe for financial hardship - don't do it.

Look at what you need a laptop for, and buy something adequate. If you're living on a student loan, you simply cannot afford expensive brands.
Just to prove a case in point;

Macbook Pro (2020) - £1,049
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/apple-macbook-pro-13-3-2020-intel-core-i5-256-gb-ssd-space-grey-10207151-pdt.html

Specs;
i5 Processor (Intel Core)
265GB SSD
8GB RAM
13.3" Screen.

Medion Akoya - £529
https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/-core-i5-1035g1-8gb-256gb-ssd-15.6-inch-windows-10-laptop-30030444/version.asp

Specs;
i5 Processor (Intel Core)
265 GB SSD
8GB RAM
15.6" Screen

Both similar specs except the Medion is literally half the price. You don't need a fancyass Mac to have a functioning and decent laptop, nor do you need to take out a bank loan to be able to afford them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending