The Student Room Group

After doing biomedical sciences

What are the list of masters that you can do with biomedical sciences???
There's loads of different options out there, depending on what you want to do in the future. Are you wanting to go into a specific area of research or have a more clinical role?

For more clinical roles you can apply for STP which involves working, being paid and undertaking a 3-year part time masters course. This course will be specific to the discipline you want to specialize in, for example Biochemistry. There's also Physicians's Associate masters courses which you can do with a BMS degree.
Original post by Bluemuffin225
There's loads of different options out there, depending on what you want to do in the future. Are you wanting to go into a specific area of research or have a more clinical role?

For more clinical roles you can apply for STP which involves working, being paid and undertaking a 3-year part time masters course. This course will be specific to the discipline you want to specialize in, for example Biochemistry. There's also Physicians's Associate masters courses which you can do with a BMS degree.

What if you do an MSci in Biomed. Surely there’s no point doing STP for another masters. But I can’t find another route in.
Original post by Studentystudent!
What if you do an MSci in Biomed. Surely there’s no point doing STP for another masters. But I can’t find another route in.

I was advised by my employability advisor that Msci in Biomed is only useful if you've not done as well in your undergrad and want to make your degree look better. If you've done an IBMS portfolio, half of it is the same as the clinical scientist portfolio. Another way in would be to work as a biomedical scientist while completing your clinical scientist portfolio - I was told this while I was on my placement year as a trainee BMS.
Original post by Bluemuffin225
I was advised by my employability advisor that Msci in Biomed is only useful if you've not done as well in your undergrad and want to make your degree look better. If you've done an IBMS portfolio, half of it is the same as the clinical scientist portfolio. Another way in would be to work as a biomedical scientist while completing your clinical scientist portfolio - I was told this while I was on my placement year as a trainee BMS.

Okay. I’m probably going to transfer over to an MSci in genetics anyways as I’m not enjoying Biomed much.
Original post by Studentystudent!
Okay. I’m probably going to transfer over to an MSci in genetics anyways as I’m not enjoying Biomed much.

Uni of Manchester has a really good medical genomics course :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending