The Student Room Group

Social work MA - personal statement advice/examples?

Hi everyone!

I'm a little clueless about how to start off/structure a social work MA personal statement.

If there's anyone who has successfully been accepted to a social work MA course, could you share some tips or even send your personal statement so I can get an understanding of what makes a successful personal statement?

I think an example would put be at ease when writing mine! (Currently experiencing writers block.)
Hello, I can offer some tips for writing up a MA Social Work personal statement. I am still in the admissions phase where I passed a written test for a university in London and preparing for the online group exercise and interview I have for next week. You want to discuss why you are applying, your skills, any work/volunteering experiences and what you have done to prepare for the degree, for instance. In my statement, I included that I have been volunteering supporting families for 2 years and what skills I have learnt and how the degree will allow me to develop my knowledge and understanding of different family dynamics and my awareness of social inequalities. Hope that helps.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by maybethisislife
Hi everyone!

I'm a little clueless about how to start off/structure a social work MA personal statement.

If there's anyone who has successfully been accepted to a social work MA course, could you share some tips or even send your personal statement so I can get an understanding of what makes a successful personal statement?

I think an example would put be at ease when writing mine! (Currently experiencing writers block.)

Which unis are you deciding to apply to ? Maybe we are deciding on the same uni
Original post by krushems27
Hello, I can offer some tips for writing up a MA Social Work personal statement. I am still in the admissions phase where I passed a written test for a university in London and preparing for the online group exercise and interview I have for next week. You want to discuss why you are applying, your skills, any work/volunteering experiences and what you have done to prepare for the degree, for instance. In my statement, I included that I have been volunteering supporting families for 2 years and what skills I have learnt and how the degree will allow me to develop my knowledge and understanding of different family dynamics and my awareness of social inequalities. Hope that helps.

Thank you! This is helpful - sounds doable. I think I'm overthinking it haha.
Original post by maliboo99
Which unis are you deciding to apply to ? Maybe we are deciding on the same uni

Hey! I'm applying to York, Manchester, Hope, Cumbria and Bolton :smile:
Original post by krushems27

Oh - one more thing. Did you include a little bit about your interests and hobbies in general?
Original post by maybethisislife
Oh - one more thing. Did you include a little bit about your interests and hobbies in general?

I added a little bit on that and you can always expand on that in the interviews. You got this!! I know it's nerve racking.

Quick Reply

Latest