The Student Room Group

Is choosing Nottingham Trent over Uni of York stupid ?

As aboveee

Scroll to see replies

Which course?
And what are your reasons?

Picking somewhere that you'll thrive over somewhere that you'll be unhappy is never stupid
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Which course?
And what are your reasons?

Picking somewhere that you'll thrive over somewhere that you'll be unhappy is never stupid

For business and marketing at Nottingham and business at York.
I prefer the course at Trent, as well as the city , nightlife , ethnic diversity, notts course is accredited by CMI and CIM . York is a bit more boring but has a great reputation, nightlife isn’t as great, course isn’t accredited, and I would like elements of marketing but York doesn’t have that
Reply 3
Original post by Tashax2
I prefer the course at Trent, as well as the city , nightlife , ethnic diversity, notts course is accredited by CMI and CIM . York is a bit more boring but has a great reputation, nightlife isn’t as great, course isn’t accredited, and I would like elements of marketing but York doesn’t have that

But I know York is an RG and part of me would like to get into consultancy and I don’t think going to notts will help from what I’ve heard as it’s not an RG or semi target
Original post by Tashax2

If you want to work in marketing then CIM accreditation is really important. I wouldn't say any of your reasons are stupid.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
If you want to work in marketing then CIM accreditation is really important. I wouldn't say any of your reasons are stupid.

I just feel like I’m going to be seen as stupid for turning down an RG who’s offering me the same grades as Trent , and is it really? I didn’t know ! I want to work in PR ideally and consultancy is an idea . I prefer trents course too . Do employers really care about where you went to uni ?
Original post by Tashax2
I just feel like I’m going to be seen as stupid for turning down an RG who’s offering me the same grades as Trent , and is it really? I didn’t know ! I want to work in PR ideally and consultancy is an idea . I prefer trents course too . Do employers really care about where you went to uni ?

You have until June to make this decision.

Why don't you speak to some employers (signing up to LinkedIn is a good way to contact employers or staff working for the companies you'd like to work in)?

Russell Group is a lobbying body for research intensive universities - you're not interested in a research career or taking a subject where York is particularly strong in terms of research. There's little to no advantage to you personally of choosing York IMO
Reply 7
RG are given that title based on their graduate research. This has nothing to do with undergrad courses.What are the uni tables saying about your particular course. What is the teaching level assessment. Different courses are better at different unis.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Tashax2

I feel like you’ve answered you own question there! You’re obvs more drawn to notts! I don’t think it matters if it’s a rg or not as long as it’s an accredited course!
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
You have until June to make this decision.

Why don't you speak to some employers (signing up to LinkedIn is a good way to contact employers or staff working for the companies you'd like to work in)?

Russell Group is a lobbying body for research intensive universities - you're not interested in a research career or taking a subject where York is particularly strong in terms of research. There's little to no advantage to you personally of choosing York IMO

Yeah but I would like to make it a bit earlier - no now but soon ish as York accom opened this week and it’s basically first come first served then notts’ opens in March . Also what do I ask the employer ? If they would hire someone from a lower ranked uni? Thank you for helping me !
Reply 10
Original post by Scotney
RG are given that title based on their graduate research. This has nothing to do with undergrad courses.What are the uni tables saying about your particular course. What is the teaching level assessment. Different courses are better at different unis.

Yeah for marketing Nottingham Trent is ranked 17th it’s a bit lower overall (40th I think )
Original post by Tashax2

Trents a great uni. If you like the uni and it accredited then great :smile: And with Trent its so close to the cornerhouse in Notts, and slab square, and the tram runs right through the middle of it.
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous
I feel like you’ve answered you own question there! You’re obvs more drawn to notts! I don’t think it matters if it’s a rg or not as long as it’s an accredited course!

I think I have too ! I do really like notts I’m just scared of making the wrong decision
Original post by Tashax2
Yeah but I would like to make it a bit earlier - no now but soon ish as York accom opened this week and it’s basically first come first served then notts’ opens in March . Also what do I ask the employer ? If they would hire someone from a lower ranked uni? Thank you for helping me !

Dont worry about too much of the accommodation in York. We went round on open day and they are pretty decent. You have to pick 7 i believe (it used to be 9) accommodation choices at York and you will get one of those 7 :smile:
Original post by Tashax2

York don't allocate accommodation until AFTER results day in August. You wont make any difference to your chances of getting your preferred room applying now or in June.
Nott Trent are similar - they release rooms in batches so there's no benefit to applying for accommodation early. Don't forget that lots of applicants change their mind or miss their offers in August so rooms become available that were "sold out".

Universities are not allowed to pressure applicants into picking a firm/insurance choice before the UCAS deadline in June. If they are then you can send through any pressuring emails/letters to [email protected] and they'll investigate whether a university has broken their contract with UCAS :wink:

And ask them about what impact your university has on their selection process.
Reply 15
Original post by PQ
York don't allocate accommodation until AFTER results day in August. You wont make any difference to your chances of getting your preferred room applying now or in June.
Nott Trent are similar - they release rooms in batches so there's no benefit to applying for accommodation early. Don't forget that lots of applicants change their mind or miss their offers in August so rooms become available that were "sold out".

Universities are not allowed to pressure applicants into picking a firm/insurance choice before the UCAS deadline in June. If they are then you can send through any pressuring emails/letters to [email protected] and they'll investigate whether a university has broken their contract with UCAS :wink:

And ask them about what impact your university has on their selection process.

You’re a god send !!! Thank you sooo much
Reply 16
Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Trents a great uni. If you like the uni and it accredited then great :smile: And with Trent its so close to the cornerhouse in Notts, and slab square, and the tram runs right through the middle of it.

I think I will choose Trent I really love it ! And yeah I heard about the trams that’s so random but I love it !
Original post by Tashax2
I think I will choose Trent I really love it ! And yeah I heard about the trams that’s so random but I love it !

Nice one. I am kinda biased because I live in Notts lol. You will love hockley and the lace market. White Rose in the square is a great place for second hand designer goods, and I love to drink at turtle bay at the cornerhouse and also Alto on the top floor of the cornerhouse owned by carl froch. There is also a wagamamas there as well :smile:
c8564d131f5ea8e41ed67654e8075d7189df72ba.jpg Thats a pic of the cornerhouse at christmas :smile: thats just one part of it
CornerN.jpg
(edited 3 years ago)
uni isnt just about the university but about the whole experience. dont go to york if you think it would make you miserable, make sure you pick somewhere that is an environment that you can thrive in too. i chose a course at a less acredited uni over one at a russel group uni and im so glad i did. i loved the course and the city so much more, these are important factors
Reply 19
Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Nice one. I am kinda biased because I live in Notts lol. You will love hockley and the lace market. White Rose in the square is a great place for second hand designer goods, and I love to drink at turtle bay at the cornerhouse and also Alto on the top floor of the cornerhouse owned by carl froch. There is also a wagamamas there as well :smile:
c8564d131f5ea8e41ed67654e8075d7189df72ba.jpg Thats a pic of the cornerhouse at christmas :smile: thats just one part of it
CornerN.jpg

It looks sooo nice !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending