The Student Room Group

online relationships...

do online relationships ever work? has anyone ever had an amazing experience with them where something turned out great? not online as in long distance previously knew each other but met online and got to know the person....what do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

I’ve had multiple online relationships that were long-term (the longest was around 2-3 years and everything else was just within 6 months). I think it really just depends on how both you and your partner’s mindset is. Personally, I didn’t really take it “seriously” in a sense that I never saw myself having a stable future with people I dated online. It just comes down to how you approach your relationship especially since its progressed through unconventional means. Communicating is important but its also essential to be able to understand one another’s points, otherwise talking is just useless. I definitely think its possible to make an online relationship work out and progress further in these current times through Facetime, Zoom, etc.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve had multiple online relationships that were long-term (the longest was around 2-3 years and everything else was just within 6 months). I think it really just depends on how both you and your partner’s mindset is. Personally, I didn’t really take it “seriously” in a sense that I never saw myself having a stable future with people I dated online. It just comes down to how you approach your relationship especially since its progressed through unconventional means. Communicating is important but its also essential to be able to understand one another’s points, otherwise talking is just useless. I definitely think its possible to make an online relationship work out and progress further in these current times through Facetime, Zoom, etc.

great, thank you so much!!
I recently got out of a 9 month one. I never met her in real life which was a shame (Due to long distance and covid).

Even though we never officially had a relationship, it hurts but it is what it is. Thing is with online, depending on the mindset of people, they can disappear out of your life in seconds, with no answer as to what went wrong. So tread carefully. Also its always best to get to know someone irl as thats how ultimately it would be in the end
Reply 4
I have never had any experience with online dating
PewDiePie and Marzia

<3
usually never works out these days
totally not worth any of my time
Is the intention to eventually meet the person? I think that can work, and obviously it's difficult to meet people right now.

Online with the intention of never meeting? If you find it fun, then you do you, but eventually most people will want something "real".
No they don't work.
not. worth. it.
I recently got out of a 9 month one. I never met her in real life which was a shame (Due to long distance and covid).

Even though we never officially had a relationship, it hurts but it is what it is. Thing is with online, depending on the mindset of people, they can disappear out of your life in seconds, with no answer as to what went wrong. So tread carefully. Also its always best to get to know someone irl as thats how ultimately it would be in the end

ohh wow thats a long time! i understand the hurt for sure and i see where your coming from!
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Is the intention to eventually meet the person? I think that can work, and obviously it's difficult to meet people right now.

Online with the intention of never meeting? If you find it fun, then you do you, but eventually most people will want something "real".

yes thats the intention! and yea it is difficult and i see where you are coming from, thank you for responding!
Original post by user990901101110
not. worth. it.

lol ok thanks!
oof thats not good
Yeah, I was in one for 1.5 years with a guy. We kinda fizzled out cos I think at one point there's not much you can talk about or do online with that person and it becomes pretty repetitive. He was in a different country and we both didn't have the means to meet
They are a bad idea, especially if you live far apart. I think that those who end up in relationships online are missing something e.g. it is self serving, or they are not happy with their current life.
Yeah, I was in one for 1.5 years with a guy. We kinda fizzled out cos I think at one point there's not much you can talk about or do online with that person and it becomes pretty repetitive. He was in a different country and we both didn't have the means to meet

yea see thats my problem, we both really like each other but hes in a different country so like a real relationship is out of our hands really but yea i get that.
yea see thats my problem, we both really like each other but hes in a different country so like a real relationship is out of our hands really but yea i get that.

Yeahhh it sucks how we're limited like that, hope it all works out for you though x
Yeahhh it sucks how we're limited like that, hope it all works out for you though x

It does, and thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending