The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Admissions Tutoring Medicine- Uniadmissions, Medicmind, etc.

Hi,
We have started looking into how worthy would it be to get our son help with admission into medical university, Oxbridge included.
We have come across a company called Uniadmissions that we got rather excited about but after long conversations have started feeling confused and conflicted rather than convinced we should go ahead and spend a significant amount of money with them - we were quoted £6,500 for a course of 2 and a half years, Head start programme in Year 11 and Premium Programme in Year 12 and towards the application process.
Our son is currently in year 10, academically very able and achieving (top 5% in his year group) but we are aware that getting a place in a top medical university or even Oxbridge is difficult and would love to support him but not sure how. None of these companies is endorsed by official organisations and there is all sorts of feedback online.
Has anyone been through the whole process of choosing a medical university, deciding whether to try Oxbridge and how did you approach it?
Has anyone used an Admissions tutoring company, if yes - which one and why?
Thank you in advance!
I’m currently doing an oxbridge application and I’d advise getting in touch with your sons schools about it - mine provided me with information about certain programs such as Uniq and Sutton trust which you can apply to to get a week at oxford or Cambridge to experience the university and talk with academics. Additionally look at the websites for both of the universities, I believe that both are currently hosting online programs and open days and this would obviously boost his application and provide him with information. I’m not applying for medicine so I cannot give any information on this but I am aware that for medicine most universities require you to have work experience in a hospital so if he hasn’t done this I’d advise to start looking into that too :smile:
Original post by DarinaJ
Hi,
We have started looking into how worthy would it be to get our son help with admission into medical university, Oxbridge included.
We have come across a company called Uniadmissions that we got rather excited about but after long conversations have started feeling confused and conflicted rather than convinced we should go ahead and spend a significant amount of money with them - we were quoted £6,500 for a course of 2 and a half years, Head start programme in Year 11 and Premium Programme in Year 12 and towards the application process.
Our son is currently in year 10, academically very able and achieving (top 5% in his year group) but we are aware that getting a place in a top medical university or even Oxbridge is difficult and would love to support him but not sure how. None of these companies is endorsed by official organisations and there is all sorts of feedback online.
Has anyone been through the whole process of choosing a medical university, deciding whether to try Oxbridge and how did you approach it?
Has anyone used an Admissions tutoring company, if yes - which one and why?
Thank you in advance!

That's a lot of money - I'm clearly in the wrong business!

What are you actually getting for that? Like, how many contact hours, covering what. Are they organising work experience and voluntary work for him? Will they help with uni decision making?

Your school may or may not be able to help. Some are very good some have no experience at all and are terrible. There are indeed programs like Unique and Sutton trust that are great to attend, and the uni open days are of course free.

I can't really advise you as it just depends how much that money means to you. The reality is, a well prepared applicant will do substantially better than a poorly prepared one, and this is one way (or part of one way, depending on what they offer) of being prepared. Could you do it for vastly yes? Yes of course, as most people do. Is doing that less convenient than going on a course? Also yes. The decision is up to you.

The medicine forum is of course a wealth of knowledge either way.
Hi, I am using their program for law and yeah its pricy but its kind of worth it to me. My best advice would be not to sign up for the year 11 program- that's a bit much (a bit of a stretch).. but rather to the subject specific program in year 12 as I am doing. It helps a lot with making sure you do well in admissions tests, its really well organized and the personal tutor they assign you as in my case is really delightful. Another hack is not to purchase the entire program but rather specific elements you need help with- like admissions test and interview- but not personal statement. Its cheaper. The best thing about it really is the tutoring and enrichment seminars, and those can be arranged one ones own (of course its far more difficult to do that but completely possible). For example cheaper tutoring can be found on sites like mytutor, their books can be bought from amazon, and the enrichment sessions can be replaced by imposing a rigid schedule of 'a law book per month', or listening to the lectures that are open access on Oxford's websites. Personally, I recommend it- but if it puts a significant economic pressure- is it truly necessary to get into Oxbridge or med school? definitely not.

Hope that helps!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I am using their program for law and yeah its pricy but its kind of worth it to me. My best advice would be not to sign up for the year 11 program- that's a bit much (a bit of a stretch).. but rather to the subject specific program in year 12 as I am doing. It helps a lot with making sure you do well in admissions tests, its really well organized and the personal tutor they assign you as in my case is really delightful. Another hack is not to purchase the entire program but rather specific elements you need help with- like admissions test and interview- but not personal statement. Its cheaper. The best thing about it really is the tutoring and enrichment seminars, and those can be arranged one ones own (of course its far more difficult to do that but completely possible). For example cheaper tutoring can be found on sites like mytutor, their books can be bought from amazon, and the enrichment sessions can be replaced by imposing a rigid schedule of 'a law book per month', or listening to the lectures that are open access on Oxford's websites. Personally, I recommend it- but if it puts a significant economic pressure- is it truly necessary to get into Oxbridge or med school? definitely not.

Hope that helps!

Hello, I am thinking to apply for it, does it really help?
Like I really want to get into oxford, but not sure if I have the right knowledge. One more thing were you into the comprehensive one or the premium or are both the same.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Revathi star
Hello, I am thinking to apply for it, does it really help?
Like I really want to get into oxford, but not sure if I have the right knowledge. One more thing were you into the comprehensive one or the premium or are both the same.

I first signed up just for the LNAT, but I really enjoyed it, and saw what a huge help it was and consequently subscribed for the premium program (ALL) -I'm pretty sure its the same as comprehensive. Personally it does actually help a lot. It makes you feel super confident and the progress i can see myself making is impressive. It helps, but if it will break the bank? Its not necessary. Are you applying for Law? I can send you a lot of free resources that I have been finding really helpful.
thank you so much I got in from premium Oxbridge and it's for £5000 , thanks for your help but I'm in medicine ☺️☺️☺️
I know this may be irrelevant now but I honestly would NOT recommend uniadmissions. They bully students into wanting to do their program by telling them they aren’t good enough no matter how well they are doing, which does not bode well for the program itself. If your son (or whoever is reading this) is right for Cambridge, no amount of money on tutoring will enhance or prevent that. You get in by working hard, showing enthusiasm and being able to understand and catch onto new ideas and concepts, nothing else.
You can find 1:1 tutoring on a much less committed basis on some of the hire a tutor websites too, just to say. Four or six sessions with someone who sent to Oxbridge or (less commonly) some who is doing/has done medicine would cost vastly less and be personally tailored. There'd be more variation in quality though, I'd imagine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending