The Student Room Group

S6 options dilemma

Hi,

I’m looking for any advice from anybody that’s either taken advanced highers or are going to. I’m pretty set on the fact that I want to take advanced higher physics, maths and history but I’m unsure what to pick as my fourth subject. The only other advanced higher I could consider would be chemistry. It’s probably one of my best subjects but I don’t know if the workload of 4 advanced highers would be too overwhelming when compared to my other option of 3 advanced highers and a higher. It would be great if I could find out what it’s like taking multiple advanced highers.
Thanks,
If you have 5 highers (and you're happy with the grades) I wouldn't even bother with another subject at all. 3 AH's is more than enough.
Doing 4 AH's will only put you at a "disadvantage". What I mean by that, is that having 4 AH's won't increase your chances of getting into a university at all. It will also make it more difficult for you to manage your workload and get good grades.
It's better to get AAA than AABB-BBBB.

Have a look at what's required for your course at university and stick to that.
If you really want to do something extra, pick a higher instead or do something extracurricular that could boost your application.
Original post by Nessie162
If you have 5 highers (and you're happy with the grades) I wouldn't even bother with another subject at all. 3 AH's is more than enough.
Doing 4 AH's will only put you at a "disadvantage". What I mean by that, is that having 4 AH's won't increase your chances of getting into a university at all. It will also make it more difficult for you to manage your workload and get good grades.
It's better to get AAA than AABB-BBBB.

Have a look at what's required for your course at university and stick to that.
If you really want to do something extra, pick a higher instead or do something extracurricular that could boost your application.

Yeah, I suppose it is quite pointless if it could jeopardise my other results. I’ll bear that in mind. Thanks for the advice.
Original post by Student457754
Hi,

I’m looking for any advice from anybody that’s either taken advanced highers or are going to. I’m pretty set on the fact that I want to take advanced higher physics, maths and history but I’m unsure what to pick as my fourth subject. The only other advanced higher I could consider would be chemistry. It’s probably one of my best subjects but I don’t know if the workload of 4 advanced highers would be too overwhelming when compared to my other option of 3 advanced highers and a higher. It would be great if I could find out what it’s like taking multiple advanced highers.
Thanks,

I'm doing 2 advanced highers (history and french) and a crash higher (classics) and I really wouldn't recommend even doing 3 tbh, especially not 4. If you want to do 3 and you think you can handle it thats fine, but unless you're doing medicine or applying for uni in England unis don't even ask for them they are just useful to have. I think even 3AHs and a higher is quite a lot but definitely more manageable than 4. For context, even my friends who applied to oxbridge did 3, I've never heard of anyone doing 4 before.
Original post by thepunmaster.e
I'm doing 2 advanced highers (history and french) and a crash higher (classics) and I really wouldn't recommend even doing 3 tbh, especially not 4. If you want to do 3 and you think you can handle it thats fine, but unless you're doing medicine or applying for uni in England unis don't even ask for them they are just useful to have. I think even 3AHs and a higher is quite a lot but definitely more manageable than 4. For context, even my friends who applied to oxbridge did 3, I've never heard of anyone doing 4 before.

Thank you, I needed someone to give me some perspective. I think I’ll possibly end up taking 3 if I manage to get the subjects I want. I think that’ll still be a lot, but easier than 4.
Original post by Student457754
Thank you, I needed someone to give me some perspective. I think I’ll possibly end up taking 3 if I manage to get the subjects I want. I think that’ll still be a lot, but easier than 4.

I did 3 AHs and crashed 3 other subjects (Highers). Mine was over-the-top but what I can say is that 3 AHs is more than enough. Not a single university (assuming you're applying to study in England) asks for more than 3 AHs. They'll ignore anything more than 3. It won't seem impressive either.

Ergo, stick to 3 unless you're a complete genius at one or two of your subjects and can already expect A1s in them.
Original post by Quick-use
I did 3 AHs and crashed 3 other subjects (Highers). Mine was over-the-top but what I can say is that 3 AHs is more than enough. Not a single university (assuming you're applying to study in England) asks for more than 3 AHs. They'll ignore anything more than 3. It won't seem impressive either.

Ergo, stick to 3 unless you're a complete genius at one or two of your subjects and can already expect A1s in them.

Thanks 👍, I think I’ll stick with 3.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending