The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Ask a Current QUB Student | Queen's University Belfast

Hey everyone! :hello:

Welcome to our 'Ask a Current Student" thread.

Want to know more about studying at Queen's? Or wondering what the craic is really like in Belfast? Then this is the place to ask the people who know best!

If you have applied to Queen's, or are thinking of applying, our student reps are here to help answer any questions you have.

Team Queen's
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Queen's University Belfast

Want to know more about studying at Queen's? Or wondering what the craic is really like in Belfast? Then this is the place to ask the people who know best!

If you have applied to Queen's, or are thinking of applying, our student reps are here to help answer any questions you have.

Team Queen's

Hi everyone!

We are the student rep account run by current Queen's students. We are also here to answer any questions you might have about living and studying in Belfast. Ask us about accomodation, moving away from home and our uni experiences. We can tell you our favourite places to eat, the best place to go out and the best library spot.
Ask away and we will do our best to answer any questions you have :smile:

Thanks,
Team Queen's
Charlotte, Third year, English and History
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
I have an offer for 2021 entry at queens! :smile: not being from NI, is it really as hard to make friends as everyone says? I’ve heard that a lot of NI students already have friendship groups.
Original post by abinicholson31
I have an offer for 2021 entry at queens! :smile: not being from NI, is it really as hard to make friends as everyone says? I’ve heard that a lot of NI students already have friendship groups.

Hi Abi,

Firstly, well done on your offer!

I'm not from NI either, and whilst it can be true that it can be more difficult to make friends here because of Northern Irish students often returning home on the weekends - I didn't mind this at all. My first year flatmates were very easy to make friends with and on the weekends I caught up on laundry, grocery shopping and watching Netflix.

I would also recommend joining a club to meet more people. I joined the squash club and met some of my closest friends, a lot of whom were also not from NI.

Good luck,
Team Queen's
Emily, 2nd year Biological Sciences
Reply 4
Hi! I'm from the US and have just received an offer for postgradute study and I'm also worried about the students leaving on the weekends. Are there enough students that stay in order to not feel isolated? I know it may be different because of covid now, but I'm just wondering as everything else about Queen's seems nice :smile: Another question - is Belfast safe near the university/city center?
(edited 3 years ago)

Team Queen's

Hi!
I’m currently a year 12 student but I’ve been researching where I’d like to go for uni, and I really love the look of Queens
I was just wondering, not being from Ireland would I stand out a lot/struggle adapting to a new environment?
I’m from London and I’m wondering how different it will be in Belfast as I am really looking for a change for uni and would like to go to different places rather than just staying where I have always lived.
Also in general, what’s Belfast like? Is there a lot to do and how hard is it to get around the city?
Thank you!
Original post by xtilly_kpx
Hi!
I’m currently a year 12 student but I’ve been researching where I’d like to go for uni, and I really love the look of Queens
I was just wondering, not being from Ireland would I stand out a lot/struggle adapting to a new environment?
I’m from London and I’m wondering how different it will be in Belfast as I am really looking for a change for uni and would like to go to different places rather than just staying where I have always lived.
Also in general, what’s Belfast like? Is there a lot to do and how hard is it to get around the city?
Thank you!

Hi xtilly_kpx

Thats so exciting starting looking into university! It's great that you are interested in Queens, What courses are you thinking of applying for?

I am not from Ireland or NI either, there are lots of students from all over the world and we have a large amount of students from England, Scotland and Wales just like myself so you will not stand out! Belfast is famous for how friendly the people are and this absolutely applies to the university, remember that almost everyone is new to this experience in first year!

Belfast is definitely different from London, but it's an amazing city. The city was one of the first things that drew me to the university, it has all the features of a capital while being small enough that you walk the whole way around it in a day (maybe with slightly sore feet!) It has a lot to offer and is incredibly vibrant and very beautiful! Here is a video of a student tour of the city https://youtu.be/wcQEsZUB0mw

There is lots to do in Belfast, Shopping, Drinking, Eating, Exploring! It's very easy to get around Belfast, there are buses all the time from just outside the university and outside BT9 accommodation that take you straight there, or you can walk it, its a great walk and only takes about 20 minutes from the university itself, If you decide to stay in BT1 or BT2 your walk to the city is a lot shorter as they are right in the city centre! have you had a look at our accommodation? https://www.qub.ac.uk/accommodation/

Please let me know if this helps or if you have any more questions!

Team Queen's
Alice, 2nd year Architecture
Original post by emmaj924
Hi! I'm from the US and have just received an offer for postgradute study and I'm also worried about the students leaving on the weekends. Are there enough students that stay in order to not feel isolated? I know it may be different because of covid now, but I'm just wondering as everything else about Queen's seems nice :smile: Another question - is Belfast safe near the university/city center?

Hi emmaj924

Congratulations on your offer!

I understand that the idea of people going home on the weekends can be daunting, not being from Northern Ireland either it it was definitely weird the first weekend when I lived in Queen's accommodation last year, but lots of students do stay up at the weekend. Personally I ended up loving the weekends (for the clean kitchen and the peace and quiet!) as it gave me time to really form close friendships with the other people who stayed up, its very much a feeling of supporting each other. We ended up actually having so much fun staying up at the weekends and going out on the Friday nights that our friends from NI started staying up with us!

Belfast is an incredibly safe city, I was worried about this myself coming to Belfast having never lived in a city before but I've always felt safe around the city and the university.

I hope this answers your questions, please feel free to ask anything more! Good Luck and we hope to see you in Belfast soon!
Team Queen's
Original post by Queen's University Belfast Student Reps
Hi xtilly_kpx

Thats so exciting starting looking into university! It's great that you are interested in Queens, What courses are you thinking of applying for?

I am not from Ireland or NI either, there are lots of students from all over the world and we have a large amount of students from England, Scotland and Wales just like myself so you will not stand out! Belfast is famous for how friendly the people are and this absolutely applies to the university, remember that almost everyone is new to this experience in first year!

Belfast is definitely different from London, but it's an amazing city. The city was one of the first things that drew me to the university, it has all the features of a capital while being small enough that you walk the whole way around it in a day (maybe with slightly sore feet!) It has a lot to offer and is incredibly vibrant and very beautiful! Here is a video of a student tour of the city https://youtu.be/wcQEsZUB0mw

There is lots to do in Belfast, Shopping, Drinking, Eating, Exploring! It's very easy to get around Belfast, there are buses all the time from just outside the university and outside BT9 accommodation that take you straight there, or you can walk it, its a great walk and only takes about 20 minutes from the university itself, If you decide to stay in BT1 or BT2 your walk to the city is a lot shorter as they are right in the city centre! have you had a look at our accommodation? https://www.qub.ac.uk/accommodation/

Please let me know if this helps or if you have any more questions!

Team Queen's

Hi
Thank you so much, that’s really helpfulI’m thinking of most likely applying for law, but possibly psychology depending on how I find the a level

But I was also actually wondering what the societies are like and like what sort of sports you can take part in
Thanks!
Original post by xtilly_kpx
Hi
Thank you so much, that’s really helpfulI’m thinking of most likely applying for law, but possibly psychology depending on how I find the a level

But I was also actually wondering what the societies are like and like what sort of sports you can take part in
Thanks!

Hi xtilly_kpx

That's so exciting, both are great subjects. Good Luck with your A-Levels!

We have over 200 clubs and societies, everything from trampolining to philosophy has a society. I'll link a list of them here, https://home.qubsu.org/club-socs/ within your first weeks at Queens, you'll be invited to the societies fair which is where all the societies will have a stall (and maybe some free gifts, I got a lot of cool pens last year!) and you can ask them any questions and sign up for as many societies as you like.

Queen's sport is massive and a very important part of our University! There are loads of sports to take part in and lots of classes that you can take. Check out Queens sport website for more information - http://www.queenssport.com/

Currently as a student living in Queen's accommodation you are given membership to Queen's Sport for free, meaning you can use the facilities at any of the off peak times! I used this a lot during my first year, it was really great, Queen's Sport building is actually located in the Botanic Gardens right by the main University buildings so walking through there to get to the gym was one of my favourite things to do at a weekend, there's also a great cafe in the building incase you're in need of coffee!

Hopefully this is helpful! Please let me know if you have any other questions, Good Luck with everything!

Alice, 2nd year Architecture Student

Team Queen's

Hi everyone!

I'm just going to introduce myself here.

I'm Emily, and I'm in 2nd year Biological Sciences here at QUB. I'm also the treasurer of the squash club, and do campus tours. I stayed in the BT1 accommodation in first year and now am in a student house with 4 of my friends.
If you want to ask anything about life sciences, sports clubs or accommodation, as well as Belfast city life or moving from the UK, feel free to ask!:smile:

Emily,
Team Queen's
Hi I’m wondering how easy it is to make friends at queens- I’m from ni and have my offers for queens relating to computer science, but some of my friends are going across the water and I’m just sort of looking an insight into what uni is really like here. Stuck between choosing queens and going overseas.
Original post by Mmoore7900
Hi I’m wondering how easy it is to make friends at queens- I’m from ni and have my offers for queens relating to computer science, but some of my friends are going across the water and I’m just sort of looking an insight into what uni is really like here. Stuck between choosing queens and going overseas.

Hi Mmoore7900,

Moving to university can be scary but there are so many ways to make friends whilst at Queen's. I made friends through my course, societies and accomodation. I would 100% recommend joining societies and being an active member. I joined the dance team in first year and I really enjoy having that extra group of friends on top of those you live and study with. I also still live with two of the girls I lived with in Elms BT2 so accomodation is also a great way to meet people.
I understand it can be hard but everyone wants to make friends so I believe that if you put in the effort everyone can make great friends at uni and at Queen's.
I hope that helps, if you have any other questions ask away :smile:

Thanks,
Team Queen's
Charlotte, Third Year, English and History
Original post by Queen's University Belfast Student Reps
Hi everyone!

I'm just going to introduce myself here.

I'm Emily, and I'm in 2nd year Biological Sciences here at QUB. I'm also the treasurer of the squash club, and do campus tours. I stayed in the BT1 accommodation in first year and now am in a student house with 4 of my friends.
If you want to ask anything about life sciences, sports clubs or accommodation, as well as Belfast city life or moving from the UK, feel free to ask!:smile:

Emily,
Team Queen's

Hi, I was wondering if you could shed light on accommodation for undergraduates and what each type is like, eg. how social some are and what you would recommend. I also hear a lot of people from NI go home at weekends so is there a certain accommodation that has mainly people who live further away so stay weekends?
thank you
Original post by florence1211
Hi, I was wondering if you could shed light on accommodation for undergraduates and what each type is like, eg. how social some are and what you would recommend. I also hear a lot of people from NI go home at weekends so is there a certain accommodation that has mainly people who live further away so stay weekends?
thank you

Hi Florence1211,

Thank you so much for your interest in Queen's. The accommodation choices for undergraduates are great, we have guaranteed accommodation for all first year students. The three main ones are BT1, BT2 and BT9.

Last year I lived in BT9 which I personally loved, the location is the other side of the university to the city and is only a 15 minute walk from campus. It was a very social accommodation, you are in a flat with around 10-11 people so lots of chance you'll find friends for life, the set up is more of a village feel with "houses or blocks" containing three flats across three floors. There is a great reception team to help with whatever you need and a central social space complete with pool tables, a laundry and a shop. I found it to be a great place to live and a lot of fun.

The more city centre options are BT1 and BT2 have slightly smaller flats of between 3-6 people but the accommodation is brand new and has all the services that BT9 has! Being right in the city centre gives you all of Belfast right on your doorstep while being only 15 minutes walk from main campus! I was sorely tempted by this when thinking of where to move this year, while I ultimately decided on private housing, BT1/2 are great! BT1/2 offer en-suite rooms or studio apartments.

If you want more information here is the look to the queens accommodation page, complete with student video tours (they can tell you more about BT1/2 student experience than I can!) https://www.qub.ac.uk/accommodation/student-accommodation/

Students from NI do tend to go home at weekends, not being from NI myself I was a bit surprised to find this out on my first weekend at uni but I soon started to love the weekends (mainly for the clean kitchen!) It helps you form really strong friendships with the other people who stay up at weekends and its a great time to explore the city as tourists and catch up on some sleep! Last year we actually ended up having so much fun at the weekends, going out on the Friday night etc, that our NI friends started staying up with us.

If you are still worried I've checked with accommodation and they're said, you can request on your application to be placed with GB students in your flat. This is not a guarantee, but if they can take it into consideration when allocating a room then they will.

If you have any questions you can contact the team at [email protected].

I hope this answers your question, anything else just let me know!

Best wishes
Team Queen's
Alice 2nd year Architecture
Hi. Can you tell me anything about the GB award where students can get 50% off their first yrs accommodation. Also, can you tell me about the cost of living please? Food, cinema, a pint etc big thanks
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 3ch3rry33
Hi. Can you tell me anything about the GB award where students can get 50% off their first yrs accommodation. Also, can you tell me about the cost of living please? Food, cinema, a pint etc big thanks

Hi 3ch3rry33,

The GB award is a great way to save money whilst at University. I recieved the GB award and it was a contributing reason to why I came to Queen's. https://www.qub.ac.uk/Study/England-Scotland-Wales/scholarships/
Thats the link to the page on the Queen's website that discusses the award. Essentially if you get ABB or above then you are eligible, no need to apply it happens automatically. Then you will get the discount on your BT9,BT1 or BT2 room and money towards travel costs.
Asides from the award Belfast can be a really cheap student city. Accomodation is especially cheap, my rent is considerably less than my friends who study in England. I personally am not aware of any of my student friends paying less for their student flat. Some of the bars in city centre can be expensive but no more than any other big city and there are always cheap student nights and the speakeasy (SU bar) for cheaper nights out. Belfast has really good fast food options as well so going for food can also be cheap and cabs/taxis seem to be really cheap here in my opinion.
Obviously as a big city some things may be a bit expensive but the cost never compares to London and Dublin.
I hope this helps :smile:
Good luck,
Thanks, Team Queen's
Charlotte, Third year, English and History
Hi. I have a two questions. I'm from Canada and applied on New Year's Day to a full-time postgraduate taught program for Sept 2021.

Is it normal for a student application to be kept on "decision pending/initial check" for a lengthly period of time? Were you or fellow students held at this stage long if you know? QUB is my first choice and there is no interviews for this program. Most information I can find here and elsewhere say within a few days I would know the final decision, but it's been closer to a month. Since then I've received three unconditional offers from other UK Universities with similar or better reputations. They were put in the "decision pending/initial check" phase for 1-3 days. I'm just a little stressed knowing they have certain dates I have to reply to these offers very soon. I'm really holding out for QUB.

Also, is it "normal" or should I say common for postgraduates and/or international students to live in student accommodation? In my area of Canada its usually uncommon to live on campus or in student accommodation. The QUB accommodations look great, but if I were to find a personal flat would I be considered more of an outlier?
Hi,
I really like the sound of QUB. I'm year 12 and currently deciding where to go and do geography. I have 2 questions:
1 - What is geography at QUB like?
2 - I heard from someone that there is still quite a Protestant / Catholic split and walking into the wrong bar etc could be bad? Is this true? (I don't want it to sound bad what I am saying/ asking, I am just interested and assessing my options for HE.) (this question also really confused/ annoyed me as I like the look of the Uni so much).
Many thanks
Reply 19

Team Queen's

Hi there,

Are u able to give out any info re admissions criteria? I am a mature student so I just have a few questions. I have emailed the university but been waiting a couple of weeks for a reply and I'm eager to get started on a course bit just need a few questions answered.

Thanks 😊

Quick Reply