The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford 2021 PhD applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Anyone else receive an interview from Oxford?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Hey! I applied for the same programme. Have you heard back yet? :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by gsali5
Also, when i was talking to the supervisor via email, they didn't seem very interested in me probably because they already had other strong candidates in in mind. They told me just to make an application for the DPhil program. So i don't understand what's the point of talking to the supervisor before even applying. It's quite unfair and regardless you talk to them or not, you application can be still be rejected.

I agree with you. I have this experience that the potential supervisor showed lots of interests in my research proposal and strongly recommended me to apply, but I got rejected at the end. I think the potential supervisor does not have the 100% power to make the decision of offering someone.
Reply 23
Original post by nervewracked
Hey! I applied for the same programme. Have you heard back yet? :smile:

Hey! Haven’t heard anything yet. You? I am guessing that my application has already been rejected by now or is not going any further consideration.
Reply 24
Original post by Daisy2021
I agree with you. I have this experience that the potential supervisor showed lots of interests in my research proposal and strongly recommended me to apply, but I got rejected at the end. I think the potential supervisor does not have the 100% power to make the decision of offering someone.

Hi :smile:! Yes it’s so unfair and like you said potential supervisors can’t make final decisions on our application no matter how strong it is. But i am glad i made 2 applications to Oxford anyway even though i will be rejected sooner or later. I wish you all the best with your application:smile:.
Reply 25

Can ask which uni were you applying and for which PhD program?
Original post by gsali5
Hey! Haven’t heard anything yet. You? I am guessing that my application has already been rejected by now or is not going any further consideration.

Me neither. I may have been rejected as well. The interviews were supposed to start today. I am unsure if I should even consider preparing a ppt beforehand.
Reply 27
Me neither. I may have been rejected as well. The interviews were supposed to start today. I am unsure if I should even consider preparing a ppt beforehand.

So my application has definitely been rejected then. Why doing a ppt?
I wanted to be prepared in the off chance I get an invite for the interview. Very daft! :biggrin: But not knowing is very daunting. I thought I had a good chance of getting in as the supervisors were positive about my draft proposal.
Reply 29
I wanted to be prepared in the off chance I get an invite for the interview. Very daft! :biggrin: But not knowing is very daunting. I thought I had a good chance of getting in as the supervisors were positive about my draft proposal

Do you think they will update us about our application soon?
Original post by gsali5
Do you think they will update us about our application soon?

I have no idea. I applied for DPhil in population health and someone in the forum received an invite last Friday. l think if we don't hear back anything this week either, it's safe to assume we were not shortlisted. :frown: I would love to get feedback from the supervisors though.
Reply 31
I have no idea. I applied for DPhil in population health and someone in the forum received an invite last Friday. l think if we don't hear back anything this week either, it's safe to assume we were not shortlisted. :frown: I would love to get feedback from the supervisors though.

That's so messed up. Yeah i am already assuming that my applications are no longer undergoing further considerations and they've been rejected. But I really wanted to get at least an interview for one of the DPhil position i've applied though :frown::frown::frown:!
Original post by gsali5
That's so messed up. Yeah i am already assuming that my applications are no longer undergoing further considerations and they've been rejected. But I really wanted to get at least an interview for one of the DPhil position i've applied though :frown::frown::frown:!

I agree! I work in academia and though I could potentially do a Phd in my department I really wanted to go to Oxford. The advertised project aligned with my interests and the supervisors are experts in the field. I should be receiving a reply for another studentship I had applied for today/tomorrow. However, I am not positive about it anymore. I wonder if I should just try next year...
Reply 33
I agree! I work in academia and though I could potentially do a Phd in my department I really wanted to go to Oxford. The advertised project aligned with my interests and the supervisors are experts in the field. I should be receiving a reply for another studentship I had applied for today/tomorrow. However, I am not positive about it anymore. I wonder if I should just try next year...

Hey! I just received an informal letter from oxford saying i was rejected LOL.
Original post by gsali5
Hey! I just received an informal letter from oxford saying i was rejected LOL.

That's crazy! I hope you feel better about it. Sometimes these things don't click together; it does not reflect you. There's always next year. :smile:

Let's see if I get mine too.
Reply 35
That's crazy! I hope you feel better about it. Sometimes these things don't click together; it does not reflect you. There's always next year. :smile:

Let's see if I get mine too.

Yeah i will print out this letter and my put it in my room to fuel my energy everyday and be the best version of myself :smile:! I am thankful for oxford for rejecting me haha.
Hello, just wondering if anyone applied for the Interdisciplinary Medical Research (MRC Doctoral Training Partnership) i.e. MRC DTP programme at Oxford? Or perhaps if you heard about others being shortlisted for interviews for the programme? I emailed the department and they said they will 'investigate' the matter but have not gotten back to me yet.
Reply 37
Original post by gsali5
Can ask which uni were you applying and for which PhD program?

Oxford. PhD in information, communication and social sciences. This course is in OII. Which course did you apply?
Reply 38
Oxford. PhD in information, communication and social sciences. This course is in OII. Which course did you apply?

Hi! I've applied for DPhil in Cellular and Molecular medicine for which i got rejected and i applied for DPhil in Cancer Science and i am still for an update.
Is anyone else still waiting for a decision after submitting for the 13th November deadline, and it's way beyond the 8-10 week turnaround time? And has anyone got any info about why or when we might hear? I ask more broadly because for my department (Anth) several of us have emailed but been given no indication for how much longer but may be or why it's taking so long. however, the delay doesn't seem to just be an Anth thing so wondering if other departments have offered any more insight? Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending