The Student Room Group

How likely do you think that uni students will have restrictions in 2021/2022 ?

I'm starting uni next year but am considering taking a gap year or staying in London for uni if covid is bad - I am just wondering how likely is it that we could have a normal year next year?

Scroll to see replies

I feel like masks and some social distancing will be place but i am hoping a bit more lax. Maybe not for the rest of this year but 2022 maybe? I think we are just going to have to make the most of out, whatever the circumstances. Vaccinations are rolling out which is great so im hopeful.
Very likely

Edit: I should make it clear that I'm answering the title not the question in the OP.
(edited 3 years ago)
It's likely more classes will be on-campus however I would probably expect a similar experience.
Reply 4
Imagine being a first-year last year - those peoples whole uni experience must've got the crushed cause of the pandemic I am optimistic that hopefully that vaccine allows uni to be somewhat normal next year otherwise I may just take some more a levels privately
Reply 5
i reckon it’s gonna be similar to last year
Reply 6
Original post by Cricket008
Imagine being a first-year last year - those peoples whole uni experience must've got the crushed cause of the pandemic I am optimistic that hopefully that vaccine allows uni to be somewhat normal next year otherwise I may just take some more a levels privately

Daughter now in second year.A complete waste of time and money I am afraid.
I'm starting uni next year but am considering taking a gap year or staying in London for uni if covid is bad - I am just wondering how likely is it that we could have a normal year next year?

A pretty reasonable chance they'll be some restrictions if everything goes perfect and come October everyone has been vaccinated then we may have minimal social restrictions But:
the chances of their being a logistical issue or a global shortage of an ingredient needed in the vaccines or some issue cropping up is reasonable to consider. I dont think a global vaccination effort of this scale has ever happened so the idea that not everything goes swimmingly is realistic.

Im pretty optimistic restrictions will be on the way down personally. I broadly suspect that once all the vulnerable, over 80s get vaccinated we will start to see deaths drop off, then once over 60s are vaccinated this will drop further. After this I believe community spread is still likely but it should get squeezed as the distribution of vaccines work their way down the system.

I think its likely some restrictions perhaps to do with the size of gathering in doors may exist but I think they'll be on the way out.

that said, I dont have access to the projections or detailed data, just my suspicions.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by mnot
A pretty reasonable chance they'll be some restrictions if everything goes perfect and come October everyone has been vaccinated then we may have minimal social restrictions But:
the chances of their being a logistical issue or a global shortage of an ingredient needed in the vaccines or some issue cropping up is reasonable to consider. I dont think a global vaccination effort of this scale has ever happened so the idea that not everything goes swimmingly is realistic.

Im pretty optimistic restrictions will be on the way down personally. I broadly suspect that once all the vulnerable, over 80s get vaccinated we will start to see deaths drop off, then once over 60s are vaccinated this will drop further. After this I believe community spread is still likely but it should get squeezed as the distribution of vaccines work their way down the system.

I think its likely some restrictions perhaps to do with the size of gathering in doors may exist but I think they'll be on the way out.

Yeh I hope that in 2022 we will have our first "normal" year since the pandemic but only time will tell

Original post by Scotney
Daughter now in second year.A complete waste of time and money I am afraid.

This is my big fear - I would hate to waste my parent's money and get myself 9 grand / year in debt for online lectures I really empathise with your daughter

This is my big fear - I would hate to waste my parent's money and get myself 9 grand / year in debt for online lectures I really empathise with your daughter

It is true that this year has not been anything close to what university life once was. But at least if your at uni your progressing, one step closer to the career they wish to move into. No one is having the social life they wanted. Not apprentices, not graduates, not parents. Socially at uni or not at uni people would have lost out. At least people at uni this year are one step close to a career.

Taking a gap year to sit in a bedroom & watch Netflix sounds worse to me.
Original post by mnot
It is true that this year has not been anything close to what university life once was. But at least if your at uni your progressing, one step closer to the career they wish to move into. No one is having the social life they wanted. Not apprentices, not graduates, not parents. Socially at uni or not at uni people would have lost out. At least people at uni this year are one step close to a career.

Previously I mentioned that I wouldn't mind taking a few extra A levels as a private candidate to keep my mind occupied and I wouldn't just doss around and I could always just defer my uni place
(edited 3 years ago)
Previously I mentioned that I wouldn't mind taking a few extra A levels as a private candidate to keep my mind occupied and I wouldn't just doss around

I can't say that the distance learning I am experiencing (or attempting to experience) is taking me closer to my career goals, Cricket008. Save the money for better projects would be my rueful advice.
Original post by mnot

She is studying Art and Design and cannot get access to studios or workshops.No face to face teaching except Sept to March 19/20.Basically paying for a few Art History Lectures.
Original post by BoltonUniIsPants
I can't say that the distance learning I am experiencing (or attempting to experience) is taking me closer to my career goals, Cricket008. Save the money for better projects would be my rueful advice.

Thanks m8 for your advice and unless the virus goes down considerably I will probs not go uni this year and defer my place as I would hate to see my parents hard-earned money go to waste.
Many of my cousins have already suffered financially due to this virus
Original post by Scotney
She is studying Art and Design and cannot get access to studios or workshops.No face to face teaching except Sept to March 19/20.Basically paying for a few Art History Lectures.

Unfortunately, students doing practical degrees such as art and design and healthcare are probably one of the most affected as there's only so much lectures and books can do.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Unfortunately, students doing practical degrees such as art and design and healthcare are probably one of the most affected as there's only so much lectures and books can do.

Exactly I agree,
How much do you think a degree like Economics would be affected?
Exactly I agree,
How much do you think a degree like Economics would be affected?

I'm assuming economics has no practical aspect whatsoever and is just lectures and seminars so aside from everything being online, you'd be getting the same teaching regardless of the pandemic.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
I'm assuming economics has no practical aspect whatsoever and is just lectures and seminars so aside from everything being online, you'd be getting the same teaching regardless of the pandemic.

So my course is industrial economics but it says that there is some coursework so I guess that aspect may be affected?
So my course is industrial economics but it says that there is some coursework so I guess that aspect may be affected?

Depends on what the coursework is. But they'll probably have found some solution to that by now anyway e.g. an alternative form of assessment. It's the degrees where learning is dependant on in-person placements and practicals that are worst affected.

My sibling still has to do+submit coursework for their (engineering based) degree so you'll probably still have do yours too :smile: obviously it'll vary university to university though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending