The Student Room Group

The EU is being outrageously pathetic

They’re jealous of the fact we approved a vaccine before them and now they’re salty because they’ve vaccinated sweet FA of their population whilst we’ve done like 10%. First they spread propaganda about our vaccine, then they demand they give OUR vaccines to them, then they threaten to block the export of Pfizer vaccine. This shows firstly, we are better off outside of this gangster-mafia like club, and secondly, the EU are being pathetic. They should just accept they f*ckrd up, and give us our vaccines.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fenton484
They’re jealous of the fact we approved a vaccine before them and now they’re salty because they’ve vaccinated sweet FA of their population whilst we’ve done like 10%. First they spread propaganda about our vaccine, then they demand they give OUR vaccines to them, then they threaten to block the export of Pfizer vaccine. This shows firstly, we are better off outside of this gangster-mafia like club, and secondly, the EU are being pathetic. They should just accept they f*ckrd up, and give us our vaccines.

Who says that vaccines manufactured in the UK are "our" vaccines?
Reply 2
Original post by SHallowvale
Who says that vaccines manufactured in the UK are "our" vaccines?

The University of Oxford invented the covid vaccine. Yes im aware AZ helped them too. regardless, we ordered them 3 months in advance of the EU, so they're reserved for us.
The University of Oxford invented the covid vaccine. Yes im aware AZ helped them too. regardless, we ordered them 3 months in advance of the EU, so they're reserved for us.

They are private companies with private interests, nothing to do with the Government.

Are they? I don't know the feel details of the deals that the UK and the EU signed with AZ, but I wouldn't have thought that a clause saying 'All vaccines made must go to us first' would be in either of them.

Based on what I've read, the EU is right to challenge AZ on this; they've failed to deliver.
Original post by SHallowvale
Are they? I don't know the feel details of the deals that the UK and the EU signed with AZ, but I wouldn't have thought that a clause saying 'All vaccines made must go to us first' would be in either of them.

Based on what I've read, the EU is right to challenge AZ on this; they've failed to deliver.

Depends on what is in their contract when the EU signed it then. Unfortunately for the 'speculation' masses, the contract is confidential between AZ and the EU commission.

I'm sure there will be caveat clauses pre-empting delays for risks associated with batch processing, material supply chain, workforce availability, accidental contamination etc.

I'd also wager (having dealt with the EU for large contracts), that there will be a clause at their insistence, for exclusive manufacture within the EU - both to safeguard jobs and also to ramp up production capacity.

The AZ pharma have repeatedly stated they will supply at cost and not for profit.

Von-der-Leyen is putting pressure on AZ as a result of the EU's inefficiency.
The UK should seek to undermine the EU and put it out if it's misery before they destroy us.

We need to leave NATO and work with Russia (who are traditional allies) as well as Poland and Hungary. Merkel Is gone and Macron could lose to Le Pen and Salvini is favourite in Italy- both natural allies of Brexit Britain
@Starship Trooper

Great movie. Sequels - not so much.
(edited 3 years ago)
To be honest, this is great opportunity for Boris to turn round to the EU and say 'f*ck off!' in response to their demands for British vaccines. The EU must be pretty jealous the UK is doing so well on vaccines, despite Brexit and despite their embarrassing attempts to complicate our trading relations for freight.

Assuming we have the capabilities to do so, we could feasibly speed up our vaccination programme using the AZ vaccines reserved for the EU. It's probably the only retaliative measure we have against Europe despite all their attempts to throw us under the bus.
Reply 9
Original post by DiddyDec
They are private companies with private interests, nothing to do with the Government.

I think you'll find that export policy now that we have left the EU is very much a UK concern.

While I suspect that this is overblown (the original EU banning exports article was for example) and I've not yet read the source it is worth saying that if the EU were actually stupid enough to try this (it is incredibly unlikely they would) then the UK government is well within its power to require a permit of prohibit vaccine exports.
Original post by Starship Trooper
The UK should seek to undermine the EU and put it out if it's misery before they destroy us.

We need to leave NATO and work with Russia (who are traditional allies) as well as Poland and Hungary. Merkel Is gone and Macron could lose to Le Pen and Salvini is favourite in Italy- both natural allies of Brexit Britain

Macron is far from guaranteed to lose and while the League are very likely to win they are far from guaranteed to form a government.
Reply 10
Original post by DiddyDec

Astra is a public company not a private one innit?
Original post by Quady
Astra is a public company not a private one innit?

Publicly traded companies are still private intuitions rather than public bodies.
Original post by uberteknik
@Starship Trooper

Great movie. Sequels - not so much.

Agreed , the book is great too 👍
Original post by Rakas21

Macron is far from guaranteed to lose and while the League are very likely to win they are far from guaranteed to form a government.

I suspect he'll scrape by but only narrowly but this alone will cause havoc esp if le pen does a trump and say it's illegitimate.

As for Salvini unless something game changing happens it's a done deal as with his alliance partners brothers of Italy and Forza they've got more than enough. Five star are going down the pan bunch of traitors Thank God
If a company isn't providing what they've accepted money for, then yes, they're in the wrong. And the EU is right to be pissy when lives are at stake.

However, they have no grounds to claim priority over the UK, especially as the UK secured the deals first. This doesn't mean the UK should have all its orders fulfilled first, but if you're going to give priority to someone it'll be the first customer.

That Germany don't intend to use a particular vaccine (AZ's) on over 65s while we're prioritising over 65s shows they're going about it completely differently. Sure, the vaccine might not be as effective on old people, who are also going to die sooner anyway, but the vaccines are proven to have a significant benefit with minimal side effects which is reason enough for the UK to approve them. If you're going to be utilitarian about it, then only give it to kids who, if they survive, have 70+ years of tax to pay.
Reply 15

Agreed - we were a staunch Russian ally before they went communist and after that we never really bothered with them. Makes no sense, Russia has the opportunnity to be a major geopolitical power if it can break free from China.

That said I still believe we need CANZUK more than ever.
Agreed - we were a staunch Russian ally before they went communist and after that we never really bothered with them. Makes no sense, Russia has the opportunnity to be a major geopolitical power if it can break free from China.

Russia is already a major geopolitical power and is pretty independent from China (well as much as anyone can be).

Agreed with Canzuk ❤️
Reply 17

First, cool username.
Second, what ginormous crackpipe have you been sucking on to think this comment makes any sense?
We have been 'allies' with Russia twice and that was out of necessity and little else. For the rest of modern history Russia has been, if not an enemy, but a grave rival. Equally, if you think the Poles will be working with Russia well, lol.
As for undermining our closest allies and trading partners, very droll.
Reply 18
Russia is already a major geopolitical power and is pretty independent from China (well as much as anyone can be).

Agreed with Canzuk ❤️

Indulge us as to how this is true?
Reply 19

Your grasp of history is deeply troubling to the point of being obscene.

I am curious though, why do you think CANZUK is particularly useful? I assume youre not overly familiar with the economies of those countries nor the fact neither Australia nor NZL have forgiven the UK for forsaking them. They might go along with such a scheme as a way to gain access to the UK market but at the expense of Britain - namely the agri sector will be pummeled.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending