The Student Room Group

History MPhil / PhD 2021 Applicants Discussion

Hey y'all! Thought I'd get this History Postgraduate study thread started so we can all chat and support each other!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by buckyish
Hey y'all! Thought I'd get this History Postgraduate study thread started so we can all chat and support each other!

Cool! I've applied for the mphil in political thought and intellectual history. Submitted on 7Jan, still shows under review.
Reply 2
I applied for the MPhil in American History (I submitted Dec 29), and mine also shows still under review by the department!
I applied on Jan 7 for Modern European History, moved to GAO yesterday! It seems like the different strands release info at different speeds/times.
Reply 4
Original post by boydivision
I applied on Jan 7 for Modern European History, moved to GAO yesterday! It seems like the different strands release info at different speeds/times.

congrats!!! yeah, i'm kinda operating under the assumption that no news is at least not bad news for right now (i dunno if that's just wishful thinking on my end though!)
Congratulations!I was under the wrong impression that getting no update within the ten day or two week mark means no offer. Apparently, it's only important to wait for the official response or changes the portal. Would you mind telling if you had an interview for this? Usually interviews all seem to be happening only mostly in Jan right.
Reply 6
Original post by reiseraft
Congratulations!I was under the wrong impression that getting no update within the ten day or two week mark means no offer. Apparently, it's only important to wait for the official response or changes the portal. Would you mind telling if you had an interview for this? Usually interviews all seem to be happening only mostly in Jan right.

I don't think History conducts interviews as standard procedure. They definitely do not interview for PhD but I can't say for certain how it works for MPhils.
Original post by reiseraft

congrats!!! yeah, i'm kinda operating under the assumption that no news is at least not bad news for right now (i dunno if that's just wishful thinking on my end though!)

Thank you both! No interview, though I did exchange some very brief emails with my proposed supervisor in the fall, who was very positive about my proposed project. (No idea how much that matters.) Hope you both hear soon!
Congratulations to those who've been accepted and best of luck to everyone else! I'm still waiting to hear about the MPhil in World History. I was interviewed on the 19th by my potential supervisor. She was just clarifying some information, such as my transcripts (from American universities). I could be wrong, but it seemed like she wanted to iron out some details in order to more accurately rank me for funding. She said I had a 'fighting chance' for funding, so fingers crossed!
Reply 9
Original post by greensleeveless
Congratulations to those who've been accepted and best of luck to everyone else! I'm still waiting to hear about the MPhil in World History. I was interviewed on the 19th by my potential supervisor. She was just clarifying some information, such as my transcripts (from American universities). I could be wrong, but it seemed like she wanted to iron out some details in order to more accurately rank me for funding. She said I had a 'fighting chance' for funding, so fingers crossed!

good luck!! may i ask when you submitted and what stage you're at right now? hoping you hear some good news soon!!
good luck!! may i ask when you submitted and what stage you're at right now? hoping you hear some good news soon!!

Thanks! I submitted my application on 3 January and am currently 'under review by the department'.
Hi! Got my offer yesterday for the MPhil in Early Modern History and my friend moved to GAO for Modern European History earlier in the day. My condition is to achieve 67 overall. I'm doing my undergrad in the UK but I'm a European student, so not sure where I stand for tuition fees. The university doesn't know either and they said they're waiting for government guidance. Good luck to everyone waiting!! :smile:
Hi everyone! Has anyone heard anything back for Modern British History since after the Christmas break?
Hi all, not an applicant, but a current PhD student in History who did an MPhil at Cambridge last year as well. Let me know if you have any questions!
Original post by trega13
I don't think History conducts interviews as standard procedure. They definitely do not interview for PhD but I can't say for certain how it works for MPhils.

Most PhD students are interviewed, especially if the supervisor doesn't know you, so that the supervisors can rank your funding application better.
Hi all! I received my conditional offer for the PhD programme at Cambridge on January 19th, after an interview with my prospective supervisor and GAO status on the 12th. I'd been emailing them since June last year and so had already established contact and gone through several revisions of my proposal. Application was submitted early December, but my second/Gates reference was submitted by December 28th.

Potential supervisor said I had a 'very strong' application, but I realise the ranking process is extremely competitive, and likely more so this year due to the pandemic + Brexit. My background: I have the international equivalent of a first at undergrad, international equivalent of a Distinction at MA, a UK Distinction for my second MA, two years of TA work and a number of extra curriculars and research projects, so I'm hoping to be competitive enough. Just missed out on shortlisting for the only scholarship available at UCL, though, so who knows.

Currently waiting on College allocation and (international) funding news, so I don't really have any questions, but, if anyone is in the same boat, maybe this will give you some kind of relief? As I understand it, the last meeting to rank funding applicants is in early February. Accounting for admin delays along the way this would likely track with previous years' timelines for the Trust and Gates, whose shortlisting and offers seem to come through in late Feb-March.
Reply 16
Original post by histmphil96
Most PhD students are interviewed, especially if the supervisor doesn't know you, so that the supervisors can rank your funding application better.

You are completely correct... I'd mixed up the processes for Oxford and Cambridge.

Do you happen to know the timeline for that? Is it very bad news if I have not been invited to an interview by this date? That said... they also haven't rejected me outright at this point.
Reply 17
I woke up to an email from Cambridge and had a minor heart attack only to realise it was just an alumni update... I really need to unsubscribe while waiting on a reply re my application.
Reply 18
Hi! I have been invited for an interview by the 'admissions committee' and it's only 15 minutes with my supervisor and another member of the department. A few days ago I was asked by my supervisor to send in my current grades (my HEAR report was not updated from my masters!) and he said the phd admissions committee wanted to see them.Do you know if this is a good sign/bad sign or what stage this means I am at? I don't think my portal is updating as it says my reference wasn't added because it was emailed separately. Any help would be great thank you!!
Reply 19
Original post by histmphil96
Hi all, not an applicant, but a current PhD student in History who did an MPhil at Cambridge last year as well. Let me know if you have any questions!

Hi! I have been invited for an interview by the 'admissions committee' and it's only 15 minutes with my supervisor and another member of the department. A few days ago I was asked by my supervisor to send in my current grades (my HEAR report was not updated from my masters!) and he said the phd admissions committee wanted to see them.

Do you know if this is a good sign/bad sign or what stage this means I am at? I don't think my portal is updating as it says my reference wasn't added because it was emailed separately. Any help would be great thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending