The Student Room Group

Potentially HIV+?

I took an std test which came back “low-reactive” for HIV. Firstly what does this mean?? I was then told this was inconclusive but it is likely I actually have HIV? A little over 2 months before the test I had unprotected sex but he said he was clear. About 5 weeks before the test I had unprotected oral sex and then had an unusually sore throat about two weeks after which I’ve read to be a symptom. I’ve also read it’s unlikely to be transmitted through oral. I don’t know his status. Is it likely I have HIV from either of these situations?
Original post by Anonymous
I took an std test which came back “low-reactive” for HIV. Firstly what does this mean?? I was then told this was inconclusive but it is likely I actually have HIV? A little over 2 months before the test I had unprotected sex but he said he was clear. About 5 weeks before the test I had unprotected oral sex and then had an unusually sore throat about two weeks after which I’ve read to be a symptom. I’ve also read it’s unlikely to be transmitted through oral. I don’t know his status. Is it likely I have HIV from either of these situations?

If you have tested positive for HIV, you should get referred for another blood test to verify the positive result - have the clinic got in touch with you about this? You will know if you have tested postive as the machinery should swing into action - if you're unsure get in touch with the clinic to clarify and arrange a second test.

Having unprotected oral and (presumably) penis-in-vagina sex can transmit HIV. A partner can lie or have undiagnosed HIV, especially as symptoms may not appear for many years. Your risk is likely to be low but you did the right thing getting tested!

:goodluck:
Reply 2
Original post by becausethenight
If you have tested positive for HIV, you should get referred for another blood test to verify the positive result - have the clinic got in touch with you about this? You will know if you have tested postive as the machinery should swing into action - if you're unsure get in touch with the clinic to clarify and arrange a second test.

Having unprotected oral and (presumably) penis-in-vagina sex can transmit HIV. A partner can lie or have undiagnosed HIV, especially as symptoms may not appear for many years. Your risk is likely to be low but you did the right thing getting tested!

:goodluck:

Thanks for the response :smile: It was an at home NHS test and they’re sending me another one to do but surely if it’s the same kind of test, I’ll get the same result? Idk I’m planning to call them tomorrow for clarification.

Also what do you mean by “the machinery should swing into action” ?
Thanks for the response :smile: It was an at home NHS test and they’re sending me another one to do but surely if it’s the same kind of test, I’ll get the same result? Idk I’m planning to call them tomorrow for clarification.

The tests are very accurate but it’s still important to repeat it as nothing is 100% accurate. Calling the clinic is the best thing to do as they’ll be able to advise you further.

Also what do you mean by “the machinery should swing into action” ?

Basically just that you need to get tested twice, and then if you are HIV+ you’ll get referred to a HIV consultant and medical team and be seen and start medication quite quickly! You shouldn’t end up in a situation where you test positive but are just ignored/don’t know about it :tongue:
Reply 4
The tests are very accurate but it’s still important to repeat it as nothing is 100% accurate. Calling the clinic is the best thing to do as they’ll be able to advise you further.

Basically just that you need to get tested twice, and then if you are HIV+ you’ll get referred to a HIV consultant and medical team and be seen and start medication quite quickly! You shouldn’t end up in a situation where you test positive but are just ignored/don’t know about it :tongue:

Okay thanks a lot !

This is actually incorrect because not everyone needs to be on medication straight away. It is, however, important to get tested again and be referred to the appropriate team if you are indeed HIV+. And, I hope it goes without saying that, whatever the outcome the second test, it is really important to use contraception whether or not someone tells you they are clean.
This is actually incorrect because not everyone needs to be on medication straight away. It is, however, important to get tested again and be referred to the appropriate team if you are indeed HIV+. And, I hope it goes without saying that, whatever the outcome the second test, it is really important to use contraception whether or not someone tells you they are clean.

I believe the current guidance is that everyone should be offered treatment straight away, regardless of CD4 count? (https://bnf.nice.org.uk/treatment-summary/hiv-infection.html)
Reply 7
update: clinic test came back negative :smile:
update: clinic test came back negative :smile:

Glad to hear it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest