The Student Room Group

Crusades NEA

Hello,
I have to plan my coursework for history but I am so daunted by the idea of reading like 10 books (and making notes on each) and I just want to know if there is any summary of some historians views on the crusades and the drive/motives in particular. Some historians im going to be looking into are Christopher Tyerman, Thomas Asbridge, Jonathan Philips,Jonathan Riley- Smith and some other ones. The exact question I chose was = With reference to 1095-1204, to what extent did religious devotion drive the Crusades?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Zosia_
Hello,
I have to plan my coursework for history but I am so daunted by the idea of reading like 10 books (and making notes on each) and I just want to know if there is any summary of some historians views on the crusades and the drive/motives in particular. Some historians im going to be looking into are Christopher Tyerman, Thomas Asbridge, Jonathan Philips,Jonathan Riley- Smith and some other ones. The exact question I chose was = With reference to 1095-1204, to what extent did religious devotion drive the Crusades?

Hey, second year student here. I'm doing the same NEA as you and its pretty much the same question - "To what extent do you agree that spiritual reward was the main motivation for those from western Europe setting our for Jerusalem. And the outremer between 1095 and 1204". With covid and lockdown I started to slack in my work a lot and became really lazy and ended up not starting my nea up until a few months ago, which I DO NOT recommend. Trust me, I didn't do the nea tasks that the college set for at the start because I was just a lazy student but then it piled up until i started falling behind in my actual history lessons, then all my other alevel lessons and also my other coursework aswell. I had to work really hard to get back on track so if you need help then i will be more than happy to guide or help you. Seeing as you've chosen your question (which i only did 1 week before the draft was due 😬💀) you can do your research based off of that.

We basically have the same question aswell so I can share my notes with yout if you're interested. With your question you need to consider the different motivations, father evidence about your movations such as incidents. Then use primary sourses, for example by someone that was in the crusades themselves, to back up your points. And also use interpretations from historians to back up your point furthermore.

Oh and also make sure, whatever your read about the crusades such as a website or an article or even a video, make sure you bookmark it or save the URL because your need to reference stuff and add a bibliography. If you don't and subconsciously write something and they run it through a system, you could potentially get disqualified if its similar to something that you haven't mentioned

There are loads of resources out there:

I recommend massolit lectures (my college made a log in for us) i would expect your college may also have a log in for it aswell. They are concise and very informative.
documentaries if books bore you
Even just youtube videos like the channel "crashcourse" example
check out your college website, they should have LOADS of resources on there. Especially with lockdown, there should be a lot more on there too.

I can also send you some PDF of academic books so you don't have to buy them if you want to have a read. I know this is long but I really hope if helps. I wish I had someone who could have told me how it works and I wouldnt have been this deep in realising my mistake. Dont hesitate to reply and let me know any questions. You can also email me if thats easier.
Hey would you mind sending your sources? I'm doing the same question but am really struggling to find sources :frown:
Original post by Zosia_
Hello,
Original post by Sadia4578
Hey, second year student here. I'm doing the same NEA as you and its pretty much the same question - "To what extent do you agree that spiritual reward was the main motivation for those from western Europe setting our for Jerusalem. And the outremer between 1095 and 1204". With covid and lockdown I started to slack in my work a lot and became really lazy and ended up not starting my nea up until a few months ago, which I DO NOT recommend. Trust me, I didn't do the nea tasks that the college set for at the start because I was just a lazy student but then it piled up until i started falling behind in my actual history lessons, then all my other alevel lessons and also my other coursework aswell. I had to work really hard to get back on track so if you need help then i will be more than happy to guide or help you. Seeing as you've chosen your question (which i only did 1 week before the draft was due 😬💀) you can do your research based off of that.

We basically have the same question aswell so I can share my notes with yout if you're interested. With your question you need to consider the different motivations, father evidence about your movations such as incidents. Then use primary sourses, for example by someone that was in the crusades themselves, to back up your points. And also use interpretations from historians to back up your point furthermore.

Oh and also make sure, whatever your read about the crusades such as a website or an article or even a video, make sure you bookmark it or save the URL because your need to reference stuff and add a bibliography. If you don't and subconsciously write something and they run it through a system, you could potentially get disqualified if its similar to something that you haven't mentioned

I recommend massolit lectures (my college made a log in for us) i would expect your college may also have a log in for it aswell. They are concise and very informative.
check out your college website, they should have LOADS of resources on there. Especially with lockdown, there should be a lot more on there too.

I can also send you some PDF of academic books so you don't have to buy them if you want to have a read. I know this is long but I really hope if helps. I wish I had someone who could have told me how it works and I wouldnt have been this deep in realising my mistake. Dont hesitate to reply and let me know any questions. You can also email me if thats easier.

Hey would you mind sending your sources? I'm doing the same question but am really struggling to find sources :frown:
Hi
Original post by Zosia_
Hello,

Did you end up finding any help because I’m doing those exact authors
Reply 6
Original post by Zosia_
Hello,
I have to plan my coursework for history but I am so daunted by the idea of reading like 10 books (and making notes on each) and I just want to know if there is any summary of some historians views on the crusades and the drive/motives in particular. Some historians im going to be looking into are Christopher Tyerman, Thomas Asbridge, Jonathan Philips,Jonathan Riley- Smith and some other ones. The exact question I chose was = With reference to 1095-1204, to what extent did religious devotion drive the Crusad

Hi I am doing the crusaders as well- what primary sources did you use as I am struggling to find them
(edited 1 year ago)

Hi there!
Would it be possible for you to share the resources that you used? I am a private candidate with the exact same NEA but its really difficult as there isn't that much support from my school about the crusades...

I would really appreciate any help or guidance!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending