The Student Room Group

gsce options for engineering

advice on what to pick!?!!!!Maths, English and Science are compulsory.I am taking Design tech, french, and history and am thinking of taking computer science too.So should I take triple science design tech, french, and history?Or normal science design tech, french, history, and computer science.what would gcse options would be best for engineering?
Any of those combinations would be fine at GCSE. Your choices at a-level will be more important, so don’t panic at the moment. Do what you think you’ll get the best results.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Zoe Ellys
advice on what to pick!?!!!!Maths, English and Science are compulsory.I am taking Design tech, french, and history and am thinking of taking computer science too.So should I take triple science design tech, french, and history?Or normal science design tech, french, history, and computer science.what would gcse options would be best for engineering?

gcses don't affect you that much in terms of uni courses, they'll just want at least a 7 or 8 in maths and science. do triple of that's offered as a separate option, as for a level you will need to do physics for engineering, so this will give you a bit of a head start. CS will also improve your maths skills, so if you want to take that, go ahead, you could even take it for a level, as unis will respect it.

in general:
unis will definitely want physics (so do triple and try to get at least a 7)
also try to do well in maths, as they will also want maths a level

(not relevant to gcse, just extra info) depending on the type of engineering you want to do your other science grades will be important too (e.g. for chemical engineering, unis will want maths/Phys/chem or maths/further maths/chem, for mechanical engineering, unis won't want chem but they'll be impressed with CS, which you can do at a level without CS gcse, but obvs it is easier to do for a level if done for gcse)

what I'm trying to say here, is do what you enjoy as if you pick subjects you enjoy, you will be less stressed and therefore perform better in the core subjects needed for engineering (maths, sciences). if you're really keen, pick CS to experience it and see if you want to do it as an a level - but as I said, you don't need the gcse to do it as an a level.

Also tech is good too - you'll be able to see if you like engineering.

I know this is really long haha, but honestly don't stress, pick whatever you like! you'll be fine x :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Starrynight5
gcses don't affect you that much in terms of uni courses, they'll just want at least a 7 or 8 in maths and science. do triple of that's offered as a separate option, as for a level you will need to do physics for engineering, so this will give you a bit of a head start. CS will also improve your maths skills, so if you want to take that, go ahead, you could even take it for a level, as unis will respect it.

in general:
unis will definitely want physics (so do triple and try to get at least a 7)
also try to do well in maths, as they will also want maths a level

(not relevant to gcse, just extra info) depending on the type of engineering you want to do your other science grades will be important too (e.g. for chemical engineering, unis will want maths/Phys/chem or maths/further maths/chem, for mechanical engineering, unis won't want chem but they'll be impressed with CS, which you can do at a level without CS gcse, but obvs it is easier to do for a level if done for gcse)

what I'm trying to say here, is do what you enjoy as if you pick subjects you enjoy, you will be less stressed and therefore perform better in the core subjects needed for engineering (maths, sciences). if you're really keen, pick CS to experience it and see if you want to do it as an a level - but as I said, you don't need the gcse to do it as an a level.

Also tech is good too - you'll be able to see if you like engineering.

I know this is really long haha, but honestly don't stress, pick whatever you like! you'll be fine x :smile:

tysmm!!! this helped alot😀😊
tysmm!!! this helped alot😀😊

np glad I could help:smile:
Reply 5

Make sure you are doing triple higher science, as well as additional maths GCSE if your school offers it / if it's still a thing.
Literally anything is fine. Universities don't care what GCSE subjects you are taking provided you are taking to compulsory national curriculum subjects. All that matters from GCSEs (and this isn't even that important for many universities) is the overall grade profile.

In the long run taking triple science or any additional maths options (e.g. additional maths or further maths or whatever it's called now for GCSE) might be somewhat helpful to let you get a head start when you begin your A-levels in corresponding subjects, but you do not need to have done triple science to do an A-level in any of the sciences nor do you need to have done GCSE Additiona/Further Maths to do A-level Maths or FM. The A-levels only assume the content from the core required subjects i.e. GCSE Maths and GCSE Combined Science (the double award).

Just pick whatever subjects you think will be interesting and/or enjoyable. If there's a subject you like but would be unlikely to continue to at A-level then take that, as this will might be your last chance to formally study it (for a while at least).

do what you enjoy the most, gcses dont matter in thr grand scheme of things. You enjoy those subjects right?

Hi Zoe,

It all depends on the route you wish to take into engineering.
If you are looking at studying engineering at university, then you will require A-Level maths. As maths, English and science GCSE's are compulsory, this covers what you would need to progress into A-Level maths.
Some GCSE's such as design tech and computer science may give you a helpful insight and knowledge into what you may study later, however they are not compulsory and you will be taught from basics if you decide to take these at A-Level or university.

I hope this helps :smile:

Ethan - UOP Rep

Quick Reply

Latest