The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Foundation Year at SOAS - Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities

Hello !
I am currently studying the Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities foundation at SOAS. If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to help ! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

How do you find the SOAS foundation year?
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
How do you find the SOAS foundation year?

It's definitely more challenging than I was expecting and the fact that the entire year's online comes with it's own set of unique problems!

It's very interesting though - all of the topics are highly varied and have different assignment types. The modules are very well-rounded - from learning how to build a website to writing full-length essays
Original post by naiaiaia
It's definitely more challenging than I was expecting and the fact that the entire year's online comes with it's own set of unique problems!

It's very interesting though - all of the topics are highly varied and have different assignment types. The modules are very well-rounded - from learning how to build a website to writing full-length essays

What are the ages of other students? Do you find it easy to mix with other students from other courses? How big are classes?
How many lectures do you have.
Reply 4
What are the ages of other students? Do you find it easy to mix with other students from other courses? How big are classes?
How many lectures do you have.

1) The ages vary - from around 18 - 28 I believe

2) There are only two foundation courses and students rarely mix unless there are timetable issues but you spend plenty of time with people from your own course. There is opportunity to meet people from the other course via different Whatsapp groupchats so there is opportunity to make friends outside of your circle

3) My classes have been maximum 17 so far so you get to know everyone quite well! The lectures are a lot bigger - more than 300 people depending on the course but seminars and practicals are always done in small groups so if there's something you don't understand or need help with, you can communicate in your smaller group

4) Term 1 = 2 lectures a week, Term 2 = 1 lecture a week. Most of the modules have been taught in smaller classes so you never really get bored of the format. This may change if the covid situation improves however.
1) The ages vary - from around 18 - 28 I believe

2) There are only two foundation courses and students rarely mix unless there are timetable issues but you spend plenty of time with people from your own course. There is opportunity to meet people from the other course via different Whatsapp groupchats so there is opportunity to make friends outside of your circle

3) My classes have been maximum 17 so far so you get to know everyone quite well! The lectures are a lot bigger - more than 300 people depending on the course but seminars and practicals are always done in small groups so if there's something you don't understand or need help with, you can communicate in your smaller group

4) Term 1 = 2 lectures a week, Term 2 = 1 lecture a week. Most of the modules have been taught in smaller classes so you never really get bored of the format. This may change if the covid situation improves however.

How are lecturers attitudes? what degree are you planning to progress onto?
Reply 6
How are lecturers attitudes? what degree are you planning to progress onto?

1) All of my lecturers are lovely. They're doing their absolute best under the circumstances and are always on had to offer guidance if you need it.

2) International Relations & Korean
Reply 7
Hey, naiaiaia, did you have an entry interview when applied to SOAS's foundation year?
Reply 8
Original post by ShrugOff
Hey, naiaiaia, did you have an entry interview when applied to SOAS's foundation year?

Hiya :smile:
No, I did not need to have an interview. They decide based on your grades and personal statement
Reply 9
No, I did not need to have an interview. They decide based on your grades and personal statement

Thanks for your response:h:
Reply 10
Original post by ShrugOff
Thanks for your response:h:

No problem :smile:

If you have any more questions feel free to ask! I'm currently on the course so I can give you up to date information
No problem :smile:

If you have any more questions feel free to ask! I'm currently on the course so I can give you up to date information

Hi I'm just wondering how did you get in was it through applying first or was it by calling the university. I've already done my application and can't change it. I'm considering doing the foundation in SOAS. Do you think I will be able to get in by calling the university on results day?
Original post by sherin x
Do you think I will be able to get in by calling the university on results day?

Only if the course is available in clearing (which it may or may not be). You'll need to wait and see what courses they have in clearing later in the year and then ring them up if it's there. If it's not listed as available in clearing then you would need to reapply in a gap year.
Reply 13
Original post by sherin x
Hi I'm just wondering how did you get in was it through applying first or was it by calling the university. I've already done my application and can't change it. I'm considering doing the foundation in SOAS. Do you think I will be able to get in by calling the university on results day?

So the process for me was a little more complicated than it had to be - I originally applied for the International Relations and Korean course but due to the cancellations of exams, my grades were just below what they should've been and what I had been predicted. The school (via UCAS) then offered me a place on the Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities course with a deadline to accept or decline the place. During this time I had been calling the school to ask if I could possibly still get into the degree course I had originally applied for. During this waiting period (SOAS aren't great at timely correspondence especially during times of increased emails and calls from students etc) I had missed the confirmation period for the foundation course and had to call back and wait an additional 1-2 weeks or so for them to update my UCAS so that I could confirm the foundation course again (seeing as there was no way I could get onto the original degree course).

In summary - SOAS have a very long-winded process for getting things done but with a few phone calls and a bit of waiting there is definitely a good shot you'll be able to change your degree course to the foundation. Despite wanting to do the IR and Korean course at first, in hindsight I'm definitely grateful for this foundation year - it really does prepare you for any surprises you might encounter in the next 3-4 years of your degree. Just a tip - perhaps email them and ask if there's any way you could change your course now just so you don't end up waiting longer than you must when they really do get busy with new students wanting to switch courses. If you don't get a response, because there's still a little while until clearing etc begins, I'd say give them 2 weeks to get back to you. You could also email your department heads if you've been accepted onto your original course and let them know of your situation. Let Foundation know in that case as well, their email is [email protected] - again explain your situation and they should be able to advise you on your next steps.

I do hope that's cleared things up a little and don't hesitate to contact me if you have any more questions! I wish you the best of luck on getting onto the foundation because I promise you it's definitely worth that extra year! :smile: x
Hey I just wanted to know what the timetable looked like for the foundation course like what time on average do classes finished at because I’m planning on getting a part time job. Though I’m doing the business and law foundation
Reply 15
Original post by aesthetically
Hey I just wanted to know what the timetable looked like for the foundation course like what time on average do classes finished at because I’m planning on getting a part time job. Though I’m doing the business and law foundation

Hey :smile:
So terms 1 and 2 tend to be a little busier - you might have one day class-free if you're lucky but I know people that didn't have a single day off from mon-fri. Classes can begin anywhere from 9am (with either 1 or 2 hr sessions) and end latest 5pm although the number of 9am's etc depend heavily on your timetable and there isn't much leeway in terms of switching classes for times that may suit you.

I've heard students on the law foundation tend to have a few more classes which are optional but recommended so bear that in mind but for the most part, you can expect to end latest 5pm.

Hope this helps :smile: do send in any more questions if you have any x
Hey 😇 I'm (hopefully) starting the foundation year in September, what's been the most interesting module/unit for you so far?

I'm sure I read you saying that you have found the course quite intense? What were you studying before, I'll be 28 when I start and currently studying an Access to HE.

Most importantly though, have you enjoyed the course to date?
Reply 17
Original post by Karl_Parrish
Hey 😇 I'm (hopefully) starting the foundation year in September, what's been the most interesting module/unit for you so far?

I'm sure I read you saying that you have found the course quite intense? What were you studying before, I'll be 28 when I start and currently studying an Access to HE.

Most importantly though, have you enjoyed the course to date?

Hello 😄

Exciting stuff! Good luck on your start in September :smile:

My top two modules were probably the term 1 World from SOAS and term 2 Cultural Fluency. I felt that they most suitably aligned with my interests in academia but the structure of the course (in particular the World from SOAS) is so well organised and grabs your interest from the get go. The course is perhaps slightly broader than I would have liked but considering that its duration is fairly short I'd say it's pretty impressive just how much they manage to fit in!

I'd say it was pretty intense partly due to the fact that I hadn't been in academia for 9 months prior to beginning the course and as you can probably imagine it was a bit of an unwelcome jolt at first! Because of the variety of the course assignments I felt somewhat out of my depth sometimes - for example one of my assignments was to create a YouTube video and make a website which has never been my area of expertise. Nevertheless the tutors are speedy in their responses to your concerns or questions so you never feel entirely lost :smile:

My A-levels prior to starting the course were Politics, Literature and Art & Design.

I have! It's definitely been a challenge working online for the entire year but I think if you really are passionate about Social Sciences you'll be fine. Even if things get a little rough, there's a Mitigating Circumstances team that can give you extra time for your assignments etc. The only thing I didn't like about the course as mentioned before were the modules I have little/ no expertise in - modules like Numbers and Quantitative Reasoning and Digital Skills for I am neither a technology nor a maths person but at the end of the day, it does offer you skills you often would never have sought to learn independently (such as I with Digital Skills!).

I hope this has answered your questions and do send in any more that you may have :smile:
Again good luck for September x
Hello 😄

Exciting stuff! Good luck on your start in September :smile:

My top two modules were probably the term 1 World from SOAS and term 2 Cultural Fluency. I felt that they most suitably aligned with my interests in academia but the structure of the course (in particular the World from SOAS) is so well organised and grabs your interest from the get go. The course is perhaps slightly broader than I would have liked but considering that its duration is fairly short I'd say it's pretty impressive just how much they manage to fit in!

I'd say it was pretty intense partly due to the fact that I hadn't been in academia for 9 months prior to beginning the course and as you can probably imagine it was a bit of an unwelcome jolt at first! Because of the variety of the course assignments I felt somewhat out of my depth sometimes - for example one of my assignments was to create a YouTube video and make a website which has never been my area of expertise. Nevertheless the tutors are speedy in their responses to your concerns or questions so you never feel entirely lost :smile:

My A-levels prior to starting the course were Politics, Literature and Art & Design.

I have! It's definitely been a challenge working online for the entire year but I think if you really are passionate about Social Sciences you'll be fine. Even if things get a little rough, there's a Mitigating Circumstances team that can give you extra time for your assignments etc. The only thing I didn't like about the course as mentioned before were the modules I have little/ no expertise in - modules like Numbers and Quantitative Reasoning and Digital Skills for I am neither a technology nor a maths person but at the end of the day, it does offer you skills you often would never have sought to learn independently (such as I with Digital Skills!).

I hope this has answered your questions and do send in any more that you may have :smile:
Again good luck for September x

Hi,
I have an offer to study at soas for the foundation year as well, I just wanted to ask how lenient they are in terms of entry requirements. I know it’s a CCC but would they still accept me if I got a CCD or even a CDD, just wanted to know if anyone got in with lower enrty requirement.
Reply 19
Original post by viraj samat
Hi,
I have an offer to study at soas for the foundation year as well, I just wanted to ask how lenient they are in terms of entry requirements. I know it’s a CCC but would they still accept me if I got a CCD or even a CDD, just wanted to know if anyone got in with lower enrty requirement.

Hiya,

Everyone at SOAS understand what a strange and difficult year it's been for us all and this has been reflected in the teaching methods and changes to school policy (i.e.: deadline extensions). Due to these considerations, I don't think it's that much of a stretch to assume a certain level of leniency towards entry requirements for the coming academic year.

As for whether I know of people that got in with lower grades - no, but only because I haven't asked enough people to get a rounded view.

Do get in touch with the school if you'd like to ease your mind but try not to stress too much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending