The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Does every cambridge college do every postgraduate course?

Do every cambridge college do every postgraduate course? How do I find out what cambridge college does what course?
I personally want to know if Trinity college cambridge does Mphil in basic and translational neuroscience?
The college doesn't teach the postgraduate degree (i.e. you don't do tutorials in your college). The University teaches the degree so you can absolutely preference Trinity when you apply for your MPhil. However Trinity is a popular college (particularly for international students) so your hopes shouldn't be high that they'll pick you (it's just too popular for everyone who wants to to get in).

I would not stress about colleges as a postgrad. My first preference was Corpus but I got Catz (my second preference) and couldn't be happier. You will learn to love your college.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Original post by wyann LT
Do every cambridge college do every postgraduate course? How do I find out what cambridge college does what course?
I personally want to know if Trinity college cambridge does Mphil in basic and translational neuroscience?

yes, it's different from Oxford in this respect.
Your choice of supervisor and college are completely separate decisions at Cambridge.
Reply 3
Original post by 2500_2
yes, it's different from Oxford in this respect.
Your choice of supervisor and college are completely separate decisions at Cambridge.

Does that mean if you e-mail your desired supervisor with your research proposal/cv etc and the supervisor is willing to work with me I am automatically accepted onto the course.
So should I only apply and pay the application fee to the course only if the supervisor emails me back accepting my application?
Would it be my chosen supervisor that interviews me, if so would they interview me before I pay tha application fee or after?

Thank you
Reply 4
Does that mean if you e-mail your desired supervisor with your research proposal/cv etc and the supervisor is willing to work with me I am automatically accepted onto the course.
So should I only apply and pay the application fee to the course only if the supervisor emails me back accepting my application?
Would it be my chosen supervisor that interviews me, if so would they interview me before I pay tha application fee or after?

Thank you

Have you read the department's how to apply guide? https://www.pdn.cam.ac.uk/postgraduate/graduate-images/PDNappguide.pdf

No, of course not. That's why the applications process exists.

High chance that no supervisor will care about your research proposal for an MPhil (as opposed to a PhD). They would be unlikely to commit to working with you prior to you submitting an application. I wrote to a potential supervisor with a two line proposal to which he replied and said was 'interesting'; I guarantee that doing that had no impact on my application in the end. Focus on a) grades; b) personal statement; and c) references for an MPhil.
Reply 6
Original post by 2500_2
Have you read the department's how to apply guide? https://www.pdn.cam.ac.uk/postgraduate/graduate-images/PDNappguide.pdf

sorry my question was meant for a research degree such as Mphil in clinical neuroscience not the previous question I asked about basic and translational neuroscience?
sorry my question was meant for a research degree such as Mphil in clinical neuroscience not the previous question I asked about basic and translational neuroscience?

https://www.postgraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/directory/cvcnmpmds/apply

The website explains how to apply. You have to apply before the uni can consider your application.
Reply 8
Do you write a research proposal if you want to do an mphil instead of a phd; if so should the research proposal have to last 1 year in length as it is a mphil instead of the 3-4 years that would be for a phd?

Original post by snapcracklepop90
No, of course not. That's why the applications process exists.

High chance that no supervisor will care about your research proposal for an MPhil (as opposed to a PhD). They would be unlikely to commit to working with you prior to you submitting an application. I wrote to a potential supervisor with a two line proposal to which he replied and said was 'interesting'; I guarantee that doing that had no impact on my application in the end. Focus on a) grades; b) personal statement; and c) references for an MPhil.

Do you write a research proposal if you want to do an mphil instead of a phd; if so should the research proposal have to last 1 year in length as it is a mphil instead of the 3-4 years that would be for a phd?
Reply 9

That really depends upon which MPhil you are applying for, and whether it is part taught or all research. That information is on each course page on the website.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending