The Student Room Group

Going from degree apprenticeship to university

I have studied 1.5/4 years of my current degree apprenticeship and have decided I want to leave to study medicine. Will I be able to receive tuition funding for all five years of a medicine degree? Just not sure where apprenticeships stand with the previous study aspect of student finance.
Original post by youngar
I have studied 1.5/4 years of my current degree apprenticeship and have decided I want to leave to study medicine. Will I be able to receive tuition funding for all five years of a medicine degree? Just not sure where apprenticeships stand with the previous study aspect of student finance.

Hi, is this undergraduate medicine? What are your current course details? An apprenticeship is level 2.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, is this undergraduate medicine? What are your current course details? An apprenticeship is level 2.
Thanks, Isaac

Yes undergraduate Medicine. My apprenticeship course that I'll be leaving is BSc at Manchester Met uni.
Original post by youngar
Yes undergraduate Medicine. My apprenticeship course that I'll be leaving is BSc at Manchester Met uni.

With 2 years of previous study, you won't receive a tuition fee loan for the first year of the undergraduate medicine course, you will need to self fund the first year.

What is your reason for leaving your first course?
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
With 2 years of previous study, you won't receive a tuition fee loan for the first year of the undergraduate medicine course, you will need to self fund the first year.

Thanks, Isaac

Is that still applicable even though the course is not full time?

I'm basically suffering with stress due to what I think would count as workplace bullying, but not much I can do about it. I would have stayed and finished my undergraduate degree and applied as a graduate, but I cannot do another 2.5 years in that workplace!

Thanks for your response!
Original post by youngar
Is that still applicable even though the course is not full time?

I'm basically suffering with stress due to what I think would count as workplace bullying, but not much I can do about it. I would have stayed and finished my undergraduate degree and applied as a graduate, but I cannot do another 2.5 years in that workplace!

Thanks for your response!

Can you confirm the full university/course name for your part time medicine course? Will you have received any qualification from your full time study?
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
Can you confirm the full university/course name for your part time medicine course? Will you have received any qualification from your full time study?
Thanks, Isaac

Oh sorry my current course isn't medicine, it's a degree apprenticeship studying part time BSc Chemical Science at Manchester Metropolitan over 4 years. I won't have received any qualifications over the 1.5 years before I leave. (Edit: I believe we study 90 credits per year also if that helps)

I'm planning on leaving now then applying for undergraduate medicine at Newcastle University for 2022.

Thanks!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by youngar
Oh sorry my current course isn't medicine, it's a degree apprenticeship studying part time BSc Chemical Science at Manchester Metropolitan over 4 years. I won't have received any qualifications over the 1.5 years before I leave. (Edit: I believe we study 90 credits per year also if that helps)

I'm planning on leaving now then applying for undergraduate medicine at Newcastle University for 2022.

Thanks!

The Chemical Science (Top Up) Non-Apprenticeship Route (Distance Learning) course at MMU is an exception course and previous study will not affect eligibility. You won't receive any Maintenance Loan.

However you said you are doing the apprenticeship route, we don't fund apprenticeships and only the non apprenticeship course is on the database.

Your previous study/qualifications will affect eligibility for full time undergraduate medicine in 2022.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 8
The Chemical Science (Top Up) Non-Apprenticeship Route (Distance Learning) course at MMU is an exception course and previous study will not affect eligibility. You won't receive any Maintenance Loan.

However you said you are doing the apprenticeship route, we don't fund apprenticeships and only the non apprenticeship course is on the database.

Your previous study/qualifications will affect eligibility for full time undergraduate medicine in 2022.
Thanks, Isaac

I mustn't have explained myself very well.

I do not hold a degree as I have now left this course after 1.5 years (out of 4):

https://www.mmu.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/bsc-chemical-science/

All I want to know is what tuition fees I will be eligible for when I apply to study undergraduate medicine (5 years) starting in 2022.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by youngar
I mustn't have explained myself very well.

I do not hold a degree as I have now left this course 1.5 years in (out of 4):

https://www.mmu.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/bsc-chemical-science/

All I want to know is what tuition fees I will be eligible for when I apply to study undergraduate medicine (5 years) starting in 2022.

Is this full or part time medicine?

Can you confirm the full university/course name for your medicine course?

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 10
Is this full or part time medicine?

Can you confirm the full university/course name for your medicine course?

Thanks, Isaac

Hopefully full time Newcastle undergraduate medicine. No qualifications will be held from the study at MMU.
Original post by youngar
Hopefully full time Newcastle undergraduate medicine. No qualifications will be held from the study at MMU.

We can't confirm eligibility for 2022 as our regulations update yearly.

However for the 20/21 academic year, with 2 years of previous study, you won't receive a tuition fee loan for the first year of the undergraduate medicine course, you will need to self fund the first year.

Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending