The Student Room Group

Dietetics MSc funding

Hello

I have an undergraduate degree and a masters by research, both in nutrition. I would love to study dietetics and have been looking at a 2 year dietetics postgraduate degree. I think that this is an exceptions course and just want to check if I would be eligible for student finance, even though I have already had finance for my first 2 degrees.

Thanks
Original post by spraggy114
Hello

I have an undergraduate degree and a masters by research, both in nutrition. I would love to study dietetics and have been looking at a 2 year dietetics postgraduate degree. I think that this is an exceptions course and just want to check if I would be eligible for student finance, even though I have already had finance for my first 2 degrees.

Thanks

Hi, please confirm the full name of the university/course.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, please confirm the full name of the university/course.
Thanks, Isaac

Hi Isaac
The university of Chester, Nutrition and Dietetics MSc.
Thanks
Hi Isaac
The university of Chester, Nutrition and Dietetics MSc.
Thanks

The "MSC Nutrition and Dietetics" course at the University of Chester with the course code PMSNUDI is a postgraduate healthcare exception course.
The course attracts undergraduate funding.
You can only be funded if you are not already registered in this field. As you have already had a degree in Nutrition and are registered in this field, I do not think you will be eligible - however you can apply and our assessors will make a decision.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
The "MSC Nutrition and Dietetics" course at the University of Chester with the course code PMSNUDI is a postgraduate healthcare exception course.
The course attracts undergraduate funding.
You can only be funded if you are not already registered in this field. As you have already had a degree in Nutrition and are registered in this field, I do not think you will be eligible - however you can apply and our assessors will make a decision.
Thanks, Isaac

Hi Issac

Thank you. How do you define registered in the field? I do not work in nutrition, I work in an unrelated job in sexual health. Does registered mean you have studied before?

Thanks
Hi Issac

Thank you. How do you define registered in the field? I do not work in nutrition, I work in an unrelated job in sexual health. Does registered mean you have studied before?

Thanks

For example if a student studied a Bsc Adult Nursing course and gain the qualification - the student is then pre registered in Adult Nursing. If they then decide to study a masters course in Midwifery, the student is pre-registered in Adult Nursing but not in the subject of study so will be eligible.
If they applied for a masters in Adult Nursing they will be ineligible.

In your case you are pre registered as you already studied Nutrition and gained the qualification.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
For example if a student studied a Bsc Adult Nursing course and gain the qualification - the student is then pre registered in Adult Nursing. If they then decide to study a masters course in Midwifery, the student is pre-registered in Adult Nursing but not in the subject of study so will be eligible.
If they applied for a masters in Adult Nursing they will be ineligible.

In your case you are pre registered as you already studied Nutrition and gained the qualification.
Thanks, Isaac

Thank you for your reply. I read that and understood that for example if someone with a degree in adult nursing then went on to study mental health nursing then they would receive funding as it is a different area of nursing.

With my previous nutrition degree I am able to work as a nutritionist, however I am not able to work as a dietician without a dietetics degree. So although they are the same field they are different degrees like adult nursing/mental health nursing. Would I qualify on this basis and is it a case of applying to student finance and appealing on this basis if the application is rejected?

When can I apply to student finance for 2022 funding?

Thank you so much for replying, I appreciate your time.

Ella
(edited 3 years ago)
Thank you for your reply. I read that and understood that for example if someone with a degree in adult nursing then went on to study mental health nursing then they would receive funding as it is a different area of nursing.

With my previous nutrition degree I am able to work as a nutritionist, however I am not able to work as a dietician without a dietetics degree. So although they are the same field they are different degrees like adult nursing/mental health nursing. Would I qualify on this basis and is it a case of applying to student finance and appealing on this basis if the application is rejected?

When can I apply to student finance for 2022 funding?

Thank you so much for replying, I appreciate your time.

Ella

You're welcome Ella. From my understanding I think you won't be eligible.
You will be able to apply on the 01/03/2021 for the undergraduate funding.

I advise you to apply as soon as you can and you should have a decision from the assessors rather quickly.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 8
You're welcome Ella. From my understanding I think you won't be eligible.
You will be able to apply on the 01/03/2021 for the undergraduate funding.

I advise you to apply as soon as you can and you should have a decision from the assessors rather quickly.
Thanks, Isaac

Hi Issac

Thank you, I understand what you are saying and can only apply and hope for the best. Fees for MSc dietetics are £16k per year, does this mean if I would somehow get funding that would be up to £9250 and then the rest is self funded?

thanks
Hi Issac

Thank you, I understand what you are saying and can only apply and hope for the best. Fees for MSc dietetics are £16k per year, does this mean if I would somehow get funding that would be up to £9250 and then the rest is self funded?

thanks

If the university require more than 9250 for the MSC Nutrition and Dietetics course then you will have to self fund or use some of your Maintenance Loan to help cover the cost.
Thanks, Isaac
Hi i am in a similar situation and studied BSc food science and nutrition and MSc clinical and public health nutrition - does this mean I can't access the 5000 nhs bursary as the additional masters I want to study is nutrition and dietetics even though this will qualify me as a dietitian but my other degrees haven't?
Original post by alanbanana
Hi i am in a similar situation and studied BSc food science and nutrition and MSc clinical and public health nutrition - does this mean I can't access the 5000 nhs bursary as the additional masters I want to study is nutrition and dietetics even though this will qualify me as a dietitian but my other degrees haven't?

Hi, you can get funding for the Nutrition & Dietetics course as long as you are not professionally registered in this field already.
Thanks, Isaac
Hi there, I'm looking to do either a BSc or an Msc in Dietetics. I already have a bachelors degree in biological anthropology and a masters in humanitarianism - I think I would be eligible for the postgrad loan, but would I be eligible for a loan if I did the undergrad course? Thanks,RT
Original post by RichT33
Hi there, I'm looking to do either a BSc or an Msc in Dietetics. I already have a bachelors degree in biological anthropology and a masters in humanitarianism - I think I would be eligible for the postgrad loan, but would I be eligible for a loan if I did the undergrad course? Thanks,RT

Hi there,
Can you confirm the name of the University you are looking to study with and the full course name please? Will this be full time or part time study?

Thanks, Tina
Hello, I would appreciate some help please. I studied Biomedical Science in 2010 and I am wondering what help I could get from student finance for tuition fee loan and maintenance loan each year if wanted to study the MSc Dietetics (pre registration) at AECC university college? also would I be eligible for the £5000 NHS bursary each of the 2 years? Thank you.
Original post by zeezee88
Hello, I would appreciate some help please. I studied Biomedical Science in 2010 and I am wondering what help I could get from student finance for tuition fee loan and maintenance loan each year if wanted to study the MSc Dietetics (pre registration) at AECC university college? also would I be eligible for the £5000 NHS bursary each of the 2 years? Thank you.

Hi there, when is your course due to start? Thanks, Karen
Reply 16
Hi I need some help, I studied Biomedical Science and graduated last year with a 2:2. I am thinking of doing the 2 year course MSc Dietetics (pre registration) at MMU. Would I get help from student finance wales with the tuition fee and maintenance loan and be eligible for the £5000 bursary for each year ? Also will they accept a 2:2 as their entry requirements says 2:1? Is there any leeway to that?

Thank you
Original post by rk0104
Hi I need some help, I studied Biomedical Science and graduated last year with a 2:2. I am thinking of doing the 2 year course MSc Dietetics (pre registration) at MMU. Would I get help from student finance wales with the tuition fee and maintenance loan and be eligible for the £5000 bursary for each year ? Also will they accept a 2:2 as their entry requirements says 2:1? Is there any leeway to that?

Thank you

Hi there, Please contact Student Finance Wales direct. Here is a link to their website - https://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending