The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Current high school student looking to potentially study history

So im currently in S4. Would i be able to drop out in S5 and go to Uni or do i have to complete S6 first? As of now im on track to pass Nat5 history and Nat5 English and get higher history for S5. Is that enough? If not what else would i need to get. I would plan on doing an undergrad for either archaeology or Scottish history.
You don't have to do S6 - you can 'drop out' at the end of S5 after sitting highers by completing a UCAS application in S5 (unless thinking of applying to the rest of UK, or to something like medicine/dentistry/vet med)
have you looked at the entry requirements on the course pages for unis and courses you are interested in ?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by stereotypeasian
You don't have to do S6 - you can drop out at the end of S5 after sitting highers (unless thinking of applying to the rest of UK, or to something like medicine/dentistry/vet med)
have you looked at the entry requirements on the course pages for unis and courses you are interested in ?

Scottish history a C in English Nat5 is required and standard entry requirements are: SQA highers is AAAA-AABB by the end of S5. And minimum entry requirements are SQA higher ABBB by the end of S6. What exactly does this mean. Im assuming it means i need 4 highers in S5 and get 2 A's and 2B's or straight A's
Original post by jamieblack15
Scottish history a C in English Nat5 is required and standard entry requirements are: SQA highers is AAAA-AABB by the end of S5. And minimum entry requirements are SQA higher ABBB by the end of S6. What exactly does this mean. Im assuming it means i need 4 highers in S5 and get 2 A's and 2B's or straight A's

I think for unis, they sometimes lower the standard entry requirements for contextual offers which you may be legible for like instead of say 5As for a [insert random course] it can be lowered to some As and Bs in total - you'll need to check out if you are and they normally consist of being a young carer, postcode, school, parents income, free school meals etc.
https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/applying/selection/widening-access
https://admission-checker.is.ed.ac.uk/

If I saw that I'd assume that the standard offer here is 4As - so you are understanding it correctly - and that the 2As and 2Bs is the contextual offer

I feel like I just waffled but I found this on Edinburgh's website https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/entry-requirements/scottish-qualifications/highers:

"Meeting our standard entry requirements
The standard entry requirements for most of our degrees are four Highers at specified grades to be achieved by the end of S5. If you haven’t achieved this by the end of S5 we may consider your application based on a strong performance in S6.

Subjects that contain a high proportion of common material (such as Biology and Human Biology), are not normally accepted as two separate qualifications.
If you are applying for medicine or veterinary medicine, you must have achieved at least five Highers at the required grades by the end of S5, and will typically be required to achieve two Advanced Highers and a further Higher in S6.

Meeting our minimum entry requirements
The minimum entry requirements for most of our degrees are four Highers at specified grades to be achieved by the end of S6."
I think for unis, they sometimes lower the standard entry requirements for contextual offers which you may be legible for like instead of say 5As for a [insert random course] it can be lowered to some As and Bs in total - you'll need to check out if you are and they normally consist of being a young carer, postcode, school, parents income, free school meals etc.
https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/applying/selection/widening-access
https://admission-checker.is.ed.ac.uk/

If I saw that I'd assume that the standard offer here is 4As - so you are understanding it correctly - and that the 2As and 2Bs is the contextual offer

I feel like I just waffled but I found this on Edinburgh's website https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/entry-requirements/scottish-qualifications/highers:

"Meeting our standard entry requirements
The standard entry requirements for most of our degrees are four Highers at specified grades to be achieved by the end of S5. If you haven’t achieved this by the end of S5 we may consider your application based on a strong performance in S6.

Subjects that contain a high proportion of common material (such as Biology and Human Biology), are not normally accepted as two separate qualifications.
If you are applying for medicine or veterinary medicine, you must have achieved at least five Highers at the required grades by the end of S5, and will typically be required to achieve two Advanced Highers and a further Higher in S6.

Meeting our minimum entry requirements
The minimum entry requirements for most of our degrees are four Highers at specified grades to be achieved by the end of S6."

For S5 i honestly doubt i will be able to do 4 highers. History, english and maybe graphic communication. I doubt i will pass Nat 5 maths or computing science which is what im taking. This means i will probably have to find a university with easier entry requirements. What other universities would u recommend if i cant go to edinurgh. Preferably in Scotland as thats where I live now
For S5 i honestly doubt i will be able to do 4 highers. History, english and maybe graphic communication. I doubt i will pass Nat 5 maths or computing science which is what im taking. This means i will probably have to find a university with easier entry requirements. What other universities would u recommend if i cant go to edinurgh. Preferably in Scotland as thats where I live now

here is a list of Scottish universities https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_universities_in_Scotland
I can't recommend any because we are different people with different wants in the "uni experience"

I can slightly give an overall picture of high-low entry requirements but it is subject dependent like overall at GCU it is low requirements of like one As with Bs and Cs but for nursing/teaching/optometry its As and Bs

What subjects are you currently doing right now ?
I know at my school the majority of us sat 8 National 5s then 5 Highers
Yeah I completely understand the wanting to stay in Scotland for uni thing (but you won't be eligible to apply to England/Wales/Ireland anyways without sitting 2-3 AHs lol)
here is a list of Scottish universities https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_universities_in_Scotland
I can't recommend any because we are different people with different wants in the "uni experience"

I can slightly give an overall picture of high-low entry requirements but it is subject dependent like overall at GCU it is low requirements of like one As with Bs and Cs but for nursing/teaching/optometry its As and Bs

What subjects are you currently doing right now ?
I know at my school the majority of us sat 8 National 5s then 5 Highers
Yeah I completely understand the wanting to stay in Scotland for uni thing (but you won't be eligible to apply to England/Wales/Ireland anyways without sitting 2-3 AHs lol)

Right now all my subjects are Nat5 except games development which is a level course. I only took it because i wanted S4 to be easier which i now realise wasn't a good thing. My other subjects (all Nat 5) are computing science, english, maths, graphic communication and history.
Right now all my subjects are Nat5 except games development which is a level course. I only took it because i wanted S4 to be easier which i now realise wasn't a good thing. My other subjects (all Nat 5) are computing science, english, maths, graphic communication and history.

Ok your school is cool for doing A levels in Scotland :cool: and I like the fact that you do have a range of subjects and are not focusing on only doing essay subjects or only doing science; like the good thing for us that most courses will only want one subject and won't care about the rest so they ask for 5As in S5 but only specifically want physics with another science at an A (example of engineering)
Sorry for asking questions but why do you doubt that you can't the grades because I believe that you can
For things that helped me was the BBC Bitesize National 5 and Higher section and youtube videos and doing past papers(sorry if this too general and something that you've heard a million times before), unfortunately the only similar subjects we took at Nat 5 are English and maths
Ok your school is cool for doing A levels in Scotland :cool: and I like the fact that you do have a range of subjects and are not focusing on only doing essay subjects or only doing science; like the good thing for us that most courses will only want one subject and won't care about the rest so they ask for 5As in S5 but only specifically want physics with another science at an A (example of engineering)
Sorry for asking questions but why do you doubt that you can't the grades because I believe that you can
For things that helped me was the BBC Bitesize National 5 and Higher section and youtube videos and doing past papers(sorry if this too general and something that you've heard a million times before), unfortunately the only similar subjects we took at Nat 5 are English and maths

I doubt i can get the grades simply because i dont know the first thing about maths and i dont actually enjoy computing science that much anymore so even if i do pass i wont take it again. I know i can pass history and have a good chance of passing English and graphic communication which if it comes down to it i will take higher English. Even so thats only 3 highers and i need at least 4 and since i dont want to stay in S6 im not sure what else I can do
I doubt i can get the grades simply because i dont know the first thing about maths and i dont actually enjoy computing science that much anymore so even if i do pass i wont take it again. I know i can pass history and have a good chance of passing English and graphic communication which if it comes down to it i will take higher English. Even so thats only 3 highers and i need at least 4 and since i dont want to stay in S6 im not sure what else I can do

Its been majority of national 5 being completed for your year group right , due to the pandemic
Does your pupil/pastoral support teacher know ? Have you asked for more help/resources/supported study/asked friends/people in your class for maths
IDK if your school will allow but I remember there was a dude in my year who didn't take nat5 bio then chose higher bio in S5 then AH bio in S6 so you could see if your school allows you to do a crash higher in S5 but pick carefully to choose something that you will enjoy which by looking at this conversation is probably an essay like social subject rather than science instead of when majority of people do a crash higher in S6
there was another option that my school had which was doing a college course at the same SCQF level of national 5s or highers during S4/S5/S6 rather than nat5/higher/AH; college courses like HNC/HND but then that makes uni entry requirements more vague to understand as you will need to email the uni admissions team to ask what you need to achieve in the college course to get in and whether or not they will accept it
Its been majority of national 5 being completed for your year group right , due to the pandemic
Does your pupil/pastoral support teacher know ? Have you asked for more help/resources/supported study/asked friends/people in your class for maths
IDK if your school will allow but I remember there was a dude in my year who didn't take nat5 bio then chose higher bio in S5 then AH bio in S6 so you could see if your school allows you to do a crash higher in S5 but pick carefully to choose something that you will enjoy which by looking at this conversation is probably an essay like social subject rather than science instead of when majority of people do a crash higher in S6
there was another option that my school had which was doing a college course at the same SCQF level of national 5s or highers during S4/S5/S6 rather than nat5/higher/AH; college courses like HNC/HND but then that makes uni entry requirements more vague to understand as you will need to email the uni admissions team to ask what you need to achieve in the college course to get in and whether or not they will accept it

I looked at the course sheet for S5 to see what the options are. I can do higher English, graphic communication, history and hopefully music (dont take music right now) assuming i pass them all. College is an option as well so there is a lot to think about. I would love to do history at uni but my backup plan is joinery so i could always go to college for that and spend my in school time doing highers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending