The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

University of Liverpool: Accommodation Guide and FAQs

A guide to halls at the University of Liverpool

I have seen so many people asking about what each hall is like, that I thought I’d make this guide, and FAQs thread. It gives a brief overview of the pros and cons of each hall, and also has some frequently asked questions at the bottom. If there's anything I've missed out, just ask.

Crown Place

Pros

Closest to the science end of campus, and the Harold Cohen (science) Library

Closest to the Guild (Student Union) and University Square (centre of campus)

Has a Tesco Express, a Caffe Nero, Blackwells, Subway, Ryman, and Costa Coffee right nearby

Cons

Ridiculously oversubscribed (7 applications per room last year)

Can get really warm in there in the summer

Not as recently refurbished as some of the other halls

Vine Court

Pros

Closest to the Sydney Jones Library (for humanities students)

Closest to lots of facilities, such as Tesco Express, a pharmacy etc

If you go catered, you get all of your food included

Has some of the largest flat sizes (easier to meet people)

Cons

More expensive than some of the other halls

If you go catered, it can be expensive (but you get 14 meals per week included, so factor this in)

Melville Grove

Pros

Cheapest accommodation by a fair amount

Your bathrooms get cleaned for you

Naturally social as you share facilities

Get a basin in your room as well

Cons

Have to share a bathroom

Might get a single bed, which is cheaper, but everywhere else has three quarter or double beds

Have to walk to Vine Court to pick up your post and packages

Greenbank

Pros

Lots of green space and parkland around the halls

Newest halls built only three years ago

Could get to live in the converted stately home bit of the site

Cons

Need to take a bus to campus

Need to factor in cost of bus pass on top of rent (available at a discounted rate)

Philharmonic Court

Pros

Great location, closest to town and plenty of shops, with a Co-Op a few metres away

One of the more newly refurbished halls

Cons

Smaller flat sizes than some of the other halls

FAQs

Which accommodation is best for my course?

None. You can walk from one end of campus to the other in 10 minutes.

Can I pick a certain accommodation due to a disability?

Yes, but you will have to provide medical evidence from your GP, e.g. you need an en-suite because of IBS. An email will not suffice.

Which accommodation is the most social?

There is no ‘most social’ accommodation. It all depends on who you are put with. The university will give you a questionnaire when you apply about your habits, e.g. do you wake up early, stay up late at night etc. Fill this in honestly.

Carnatic used to have a reputation as a social hall, but this has been knocked down. Melville is the most ‘naturally’ social, because facilities are shared, so you can’t just stay in your room. Vine Court (catered) has the largest number of students per flat (usually around 14), so is great if you are looking to meet lots of people.

Which accommodation is the quietest?

Choose a studio. They’re available in most of the halls, except for Melville Grove.

When will I find out which accommodation I’ve been allocated to?

After results day. It’s usually sometime the following week, but it had to be delayed by a few days last year because of COVID, and changing quarantine guidelines.

Can I live with people on my course?

The university makes sure that there is a wide mix of courses in each flat, and I have never known of more than 2 people on one course to be in a flat together.

Can I live in single-sex accommodation?

If you need to live in single-sex accommodation for any reason, tick the box on the form when you apply. I’ve never seen a request turned down. If you put ‘don’t mind’, there is a chance that you will be placed in single-sex accommodation, too.

I haven’t included Tudor Close or Dover Court because they are primarily for exchange students or returning students, but I can write about them if anyone needs them.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sandtrooper

A guide to halls at the University of Liverpool

I have seen so many people asking about what each hall is like, that I thought I’d make this guide, and FAQs thread. It gives a brief overview of the pros and cons of each hall, and also has some frequently asked questions at the bottom. If there's anything I've missed out, just ask.

Crown Place

Pros

Closest to the science end of campus, and the Harold Cohen (science) Library

Closest to the Guild (Student Union) and University Square (centre of campus)

Has a Tesco Express, a Caffe Nero, Blackwells, Subway, Ryman, and Costa Coffee right nearby

Cons

Ridiculously oversubscribed (7 applications per room last year)

Can get really warm in there in the summer

Not as recently refurbished as some of the other halls

Vine Court

Pros

Closest to the Sydney Jones Library (for humanities students)

Closest to lots of facilities, such as Tesco Express, a pharmacy etc

If you go catered, you get all of your food included

Has some of the largest flat sizes (easier to meet people)

Cons

If you go catered, it can be expensive (but you get 14 meals per week included, so factor this in)

Melville Grove

Pros

Cheapest accommodation by a fair amount

Your bathrooms get cleaned for you

Naturally social as you share facilities

Get a basin in your room as well

Cons

Have to share a bathroom

Might get a single bed, which is cheaper, but everywhere else has three quarter or double beds

Have to walk to Vine Court to pick up your post and packages

Greenbank

Pros

Lots of green space and parkland around the halls

Newest halls built only three years ago

Could get to live in the converted stately home bit of the site

Cons

Need to take a bus to campus

Need to factor in cost of bus pass on top of rent (available at a discounted rate)

Philharmonic Court

Pros

Great location, closest to town and plenty of shops, with a Co-Op a few metres away

One of the more newly refurbished halls

Cons

Smaller flat sizes than some of the other halls

FAQs

Which accommodation is best for my course?

None. You can walk from one end of campus to the other in 10 minutes.

Can I pick a certain accommodation due to a disability?

Yes, but you will have to provide medical evidence from your GP, e.g. you need an en-suite because of IBS. An email will not suffice.

Which accommodation is the most social?

There is no ‘most social’ accommodation. It all depends on who you are put with. The university will give you a questionnaire when you apply about your habits, e.g. do you wake up early, stay up late at night etc. Fill this in honestly.

Carnatic used to have a reputation as a social hall, but this has been knocked down. Melville is the most ‘naturally’ social, because facilities are shared, so you can’t just stay in your room. Vine Court (catered) has the largest number of students per flat (usually around 14), so is great if you are looking to meet lots of people.

Which accommodation is the quietest?

Choose a studio. They’re available in most of the halls, except for Melville Grove.

When will I find out which accommodation I’ve been allocated to?

After results day. It’s usually sometime the following week, but it had to be delayed by a few days last year because of COVID, and changing quarantine guidelines.

Can I live with people on my course?

The university makes sure that there is a wide mix of courses in each flat, and I have never known of more than 2 people on one course to be in a flat together.

Can I live in single-sex accommodation?

If you need to live in single-sex accommodation for any reason, tick the box on the form when you apply. I’ve never seen a request turned down. If you put ‘don’t mind’, there is a chance that you will be placed in single-sex accommodation, too.

I haven’t included Tudor Close or Dover Court because they are primarily for exchange students or returning students, but I can write about them if anyone needs them.

Hi Sandtrooper!

What a useful guide you have made here, good work!!

If anyone has got some more questions about Universities of Liverpool halls then ask away below! I've been a student here for a while now so I've got a good knowledge of all the halls. Also here is the link for the Universities accommodation page: https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/accommodation/ there's loads of useful info and even virtual tours on there so I'd say to take a look there too!

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
On the application website for accommodation it say's Vine court is for both undergraduates and postgraduates, does this mean as a first year undergraduate I am likely to share a flat with a postgraduate or are you grouped with other first years and postgraduates just live in the same block?
Original post by Beng10
On the application website for accommodation it say's Vine court is for both undergraduates and postgraduates, does this mean as a first year undergraduate I am likely to share a flat with a postgraduate or are you grouped with other first years and postgraduates just live in the same block?

You'll be with other first years. There is a very small chance you'll have an RA (who will be an older undergraduate, or a postgraduate) in your flat, but the odds are negligible. Not sure if grads are only in other blocks but they are at least in other flats.
You mentioned that Crown Place is often very oversubscribed -- I picked it as my first choice when I applied for accommodation yesterday, and I'm just wondering if you think I'll be successful? Do you think I applied early enough?
Original post by Anonymous
You mentioned that Crown Place is often very oversubscribed -- I picked it as my first choice when I applied for accommodation yesterday, and I'm just wondering if you think I'll be successful? Do you think I applied early enough?

Ngl bro probably too late, applications have been open for accom for over a month now i believe

Hard to say but your chances are slim. Remember you will be leapfrogged by people on gap years, and people with special requirements will take priority for certain accommodations, too. But, you never know - you'll only find out on results day.

Ngl bro probably too late, applications have been open for accom for over a month now i believe

Yeah, it's later than in usual years, but a month in isn't great considering that Crown usually gets 7,000 applications.
Original post by Sandtrooper
Hard to say but your chances are slim. Remember you will be leapfrogged by people on gap years, and people with special requirements will take priority for certain accommodations, too. But, you never know - you'll only find out on results day.

Yeah, it's later than in usual years, but a month in isn't great considering that Crown usually gets 7,000 applications.

Bummer. Are any of the accommodations further away than walking distance? Don't really wanna be paying for buses every day. :/
Bummer. Are any of the accommodations further away than walking distance? Don't really wanna be paying for buses every day. :/

From what I’ve heard, Melville grove is literally so close to crown place, I believe you have to pick your mail up from crown if you live at Melville? But obvs no en-suite there

Greenbank is the only off-campus hall. All of the rest are within walking distance, and you'll be able to get anywhere on campus in 10-15 minutes, depending on how quickly you walk. Also, the bus pass is subsidised, so it's really not that bad. You'll likely be getting the bus in later years, too.

From what I’ve heard, Melville grove is literally so close to crown place, I believe you have to pick your mail up from crown if you live at Melville? But obvs no en-suite there

You have to pick up your post from Vine Court if you live at Melville Grove. All of the halls on campus are really close together, so I wouldn't worry too much. Even if you get allocated to Greenbank, something like a quarter of all undergraduates are there, so it's not as though it's isolated.
hi im scared of getting greenbank i applied mid february which is quite late im heard. i applied to crown place deluxe, crown place single, vine court premier. i wouldnt mind melville grove or philharmonic court either. i just wouldnt like greenbank. i think its lovely, the accommodation looks amazing, it has a gym a lot of facilities. but it is wayyyyy out of my budget. i simply couldnt afford it, £178 + TRANSPORT everyday (my course is untense with lectures and placements everyday plus id like to explore the city at the weekends). what happens if i cant afford it. :frown:
are medical students prioritised for city centre accommodation?
hi im scared of getting greenbank i applied mid february which is quite late im heard. i applied to crown place deluxe, crown place single, vine court premier. i wouldnt mind melville grove or philharmonic court either. i just wouldnt like greenbank. i think its lovely, the accommodation looks amazing, it has a gym a lot of facilities. but it is wayyyyy out of my budget. i simply couldnt afford it, £178 + TRANSPORT everyday (my course is untense with lectures and placements everyday plus id like to explore the city at the weekends). what happens if i cant afford it. :frown:

I have replied to this on another thread. Please check your notifications. :smile:
are medical students prioritised for city centre accommodation?

Hi there!

No, accommodation is not prioritised based on subject. It is based upon your top 3 preferences which we will meet where possible! All the accommodations are on campus except Greenbank which is a short bus journey away so they are all good locations for a busy timetable.

Antonia :h:
University of Liverpool Student Ambassador
Reply 14
Thanks, really useful.
Hello, please could I ask when applications for accommodation will open for September 2022 entry?

Also, if you hold an unconditional place (gap year student) will my application for accommodation be confirmed earlier than a conditional offer would be? Thank you.
Reply 16
Original post by Elizabeth101
Hello, please could I ask when applications for accommodation will open for September 2022 entry?

Also, if you hold an unconditional place (gap year student) will my application for accommodation be confirmed earlier than a conditional offer would be? Thank you.

Applications normally open in January. You'll get an email about it. Unconditional offer holders get their accommodation offers shortly after applying for accommodation as long as you've accepted your place at the uni.
Original post by jayls
Applications normally open in January. You'll get an email about it. Unconditional offer holders get their accommodation offers shortly after applying for accommodation as long as you've accepted your place at the uni.

Thanks that's really helpful!
Hi. I think the accommodation is open for 2022 entry and I got my offer start of Jan, but I havent had the accommodation email with the pin, so I cant apply? Should I have had this by now? thanks!
Hi! What's it like living in Melville Grove? It looks nice and convenient but are there any issues to be aware of? Is there enough lounge space in the flats and is it easy to access the vine court reception and social spaces? Is there a laundrette in Melville Grove?

Quick Reply

Latest