The Student Room Group

Giving laptops to families who have everything anyway? Why?

I simply dont understand the logic of this Government. Why are they giving laptops to families on benefits that have the latest iPhones and iPads as it is coupled with a PS5 and xBox that also can be used for online education rather than gaming but clearly they not interested in doing that.

They already all have internet access as clearly they need it for the netflix and amazon prime which they all have anyway so why do they need laptops too?!

On mumsnet and other such forums they are already talking about trying to sell the laptops as they dont need them for extra beer money! You couldnt make it up.

Also on Fb and other social media working people are getting increasingly hacked off on finding out the state will give them nothing when in trouble whereas those who choose not to work are given everything plus bonus covid relief payments (why when they do naff all as it is) plus grants for practically everything. It pays not to work in the Blighty that is for sure...

Hopefully this will be the start of the revolution against the 3 million workless households as per ONS stats and give these lazy muppets a kick up the butt and get them out of their drunken stupor while binge watching netflix....
Reply 1
Nanny state gone wild
This argument to me seems a bit irrational because the amount of money spent on the laptops per household will likely be very small compared to the amount the state spends on the children annually. The state already spends £5000 per pupil, why should that £5000 go to waste just because a pupil can't afford a £400 laptop?

I used the entitledto calculator to calculate the amount a single mother of two who earns the minimum wage (working full time) would get in benefits. The amount computed was i) just over £950 per month if the single mother spent no money on childcare, ii) just under £1400 if they spent £3000 per child on childcare, iii) just over £1900 if they spent £6000 per child on childcare. The average UK spend on childcare (for children of childcare age) was £6800 although I have no idea how much a single parent would typically spend. So the incremental cost to provide these laptops to households is very small in most cases, even when you consider households with a full-time working adult.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
are you talking about the DfE providing laptops to children from disadvantaged families who cannot attend school, so they can continue their education from home during lockdown?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/get-help-with-technology-for-remote-education-during-coronavirus-covid-19

i'm not sure how one has come to the conclusion that families who claim benefits 'have everything' and are living in the lap of luxury. sounds like a massive generalisation just from reading something someone said on the internet who could very well be a troll.

also don't think one realises how many people lost their jobs in lockdown and had no choice but to claim benefits while accumulating massive debt. last April the number of persons claiming unemployment benefits rose by almost 70 percent.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/19/uk-jobless-april-coronavirus-crisis-unemployment-benefits

it's not like those who lost their jobs wanted to lose them and are happy living on government paid schemes. i know how rough it is; all i did for the first two lockdowns was give advice to people who lost their jobs or businesses and needed a way to keep a roof over their head and food on the table (part of my job).

it's in the government interest to help families struggling during lockdown because if their kid can't continue their education while schools are closed, it's bad for the kid and bad for the community. children who come from low income families and don't get an education may very well need to claim benefits in the future cuz they can't get a job or they live on low income, therefore in the long run costing the taxpayer more. it makes more sense then to have the laptop scheme.
I think its a variation on the old proverb......

"The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth meaning that children desperately need connection, love, and community. If these needs aren’t met, they’ll cry out for help and even resort to destructive behaviour. As members of the village, we’re all responsible for the children around us."

Lets be honest, for child and children read boys.
Not least because over the next 10 to 20 years jobs are going to be hard enough to find for those that left Uni in the last few years and haven't been affected by the pandemic. If we don't do something to help those still at school and in exam years we are going to be looking at a generation that will be living in long term unemployment and will undoubtedly turn to crime.
I do understand what OP is on about though as it will be very much abused. I know loads of people who will lie just to get one, even though they already have one. Its instinctive for some people.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Problem is how you define poverty suggest you look at Africa and India if you want to see 'real' poverty as opposed to here where poverty is seen as not having the latest iPhone! These families that entitled to 'everything' are generally the chronically unemployed ones yes the 3 million as per ONS stats. They have all the latest iphones, ipads and PS5 as it is plus the fastest internet to watch netflix and amazon prime so why do they need a free laptop?Already CEX and cash converters are seeing a glut of these Acer laptops the benefit parents have quickly flogged on for extra beer money as they already have better tech the latest tech why do they need a laptop? Most of their kids have no interest in education as it is and will simply join the benefits gravy train at age 16 just like their parents! Again only fools work in the UK. You see a multitude of grants for insulation, heating blah blah you name its there adverts a plenty on insta and fb. Look at the criteria only benefit folks need apply!! What a joke essentially this country punishes you for doing the right thing...Ridiculous
Every single thread you make is to deride poor people with largely false information and silly assumptions. It is as if you are just looking for reasons to justify your hatred of the poor.
Reply 7
Original post by DiddyDec
Every single thread you make is to deride poor people with largely false information and silly assumptions. It is as if you are just looking for reasons to justify your hatred of the poor.

the irony is they are not poor! the system ensures they will always be better off not working and banging out kids for extra cash and bigger houses.

those that work are the poor ones....
Original post by monkeybest
I simply dont understand the logic of this Government. Why are they giving laptops to families on benefits that have the latest iPhones and iPads as it is coupled with a PS5 and xBox that also can be used for online education rather than gaming but clearly they not interested in doing that.

They already all have internet access as clearly they need it for the netflix and amazon prime which they all have anyway so why do they need laptops too?!

On mumsnet and other such forums they are already talking about trying to sell the laptops as they dont need them for extra beer money! You couldnt make it up.

Also on Fb and other social media working people are getting increasingly hacked off on finding out the state will give them nothing when in trouble whereas those who choose not to work are given everything plus bonus covid relief payments (why when they do naff all as it is) plus grants for practically everything. It pays not to work in the Blighty that is for sure...

Hopefully this will be the start of the revolution against the 3 million workless households as per ONS stats and give these lazy muppets a kick up the butt and get them out of their drunken stupor while binge watching netflix....

I hope you are trolling.

The alternative is that you were tragically let down by your teachers to the extent are unable to think outside lazy hackneyed tropes.
Problem is how you define poverty suggest you look at Africa and India if you want to see 'real' poverty as opposed to here where poverty is seen as not having the latest iPhone! These families that entitled to 'everything' are generally the chronically unemployed ones yes the 3 million as per ONS stats. They have all the latest iphones, ipads and PS5 as it is plus the fastest internet to watch netflix and amazon prime so why do they need a free laptop?Already CEX and cash converters are seeing a glut of these Acer laptops the benefit parents have quickly flogged on for extra beer money as they already have better tech the latest tech why do they need a laptop? Most of their kids have no interest in education as it is and will simply join the benefits gravy train at age 16 just like their parents! Again only fools work in the UK. You see a multitude of grants for insulation, heating blah blah you name its there adverts a plenty on insta and fb. Look at the criteria only benefit folks need apply!! What a joke essentially this country punishes you for doing the right thing...Ridiculous

I agree that being poor in the UK is much better than being poor in Africa (living in a council home vs a slum) but the rest of this post is BS.
Reply 10
What makes you think these families are all drowning in the latest iphones and games consoles exactly ?:s-smilie: Are you intimately familiar with enough people on the dole to be able to say that? I rather doubt it.
A handful of dubious families, such as the ones flogging themselves like hookers to C5 docos, is hardly representative. Not least due to the number who have been forced onto JSA thanks to the government de facto firing them.
Reply 11
The Government is trying to do what it can to get already disadvantaged young people who might otherwise fall through the cracks over this period and not receive an education involved. Sometimes it will not work, sometimes it will - but it's better than doing nothing and just letting them fall further behind.

Yes, it'd be ****ing lovely if all parents spent the money they had on their children's education, and made resources available for them to learn. We know, however, that they don't. So what little can be done to mitigate that is probably for the best, don't you think?
the irony is they are not poor! the system ensures they will always be better off not working and banging out kids for extra cash and bigger houses.

those that work are the poor ones....

Do you work?
Does TSR have a Marie Antoinette Award?
Original post by SHallowvale
Do you work?

I'd be interested to see the answer to that.

For what it's worth, it's absolutely pointless anyone getting worked up about this for the moment because I fully believe that the money for these laptops was already handed out by the government under the pupil premium scheme, which applies in some areas to 40% of pupils. Schools receive funding for disadvantaged students anyway, I don't believe for one second that schools would be stupid enough to give out second devices using a new government grant. It's also worth noting that in some schools one device per pupil is already the norm. Those who are eligible for PP get those devices paid for outright by the school anyway, those who don't, usually pay a monthly fee, or in some instances can 'loan' a device.
Reply 15
Original post by L i b
The Government is trying to do what it can to get already disadvantaged young people who might otherwise fall through the cracks over this period and not receive an education involved. Sometimes it will not work, sometimes it will - but it's better than doing nothing and just letting them fall further behind.

Yes, it'd be ****ing lovely if all parents spent the money they had on their children's education, and made resources available for them to learn. We know, however, that they don't. So what little can be done to mitigate that is probably for the best, don't you think?

You having a laugh these kids are delinquents bred by delinquents and will go on to produce delinquents! When they see how easy their parents have it on benefits why are they going to do any different and no a gleaming laptop and a few food vouchers wont make any difference. The parents will have flogged the laptop to Cash Converters quicker than you can say Bill Gates so no the whole scheme should be scrapped together with the whole benefits for the idle policy. Only a lack of income will prove an incentive to get a job, perhaps those they shunned to allow 3 mill Eastern Europeans to do instead.

Scrap the plethora of benefits these idle monkeys can claim and force them to work rater than claiming to be too depressed to work!

I work but am probably financially better off not bothering and joining the gravy train with millions of other idle folk here!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by DiddyDec

This
Reply 17

Benefit warriors would never sell to either of those, they aren't idiots.
Reply 18

I work but am probably financially better off not bothering and joining the gravy train with millions of other idle folk here!

I've told you before like a month ago - you're a mug.

Why don't you just do what the rest of us successful people do and claim your benefits rather that working?

Before you pleaded it was because it was too complex for you, pathetic - its easy.

Just take what is yours already and stop moaning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending