The Student Room Group

chemistry help plz

in an endothermic reaction the temperature of the reaction mixture decreases because the products have absorbed the heat energy and it is now chemical energy that is needed to make the bonds

through research I have found different things, does the temperature of the surroundings decrease or increase I would assume since heat energy is transferred from the surroundings to the system that it would decrease am I right?
Reply 1
in an endothermic reaction the temperature of the mixture will increase and the surrounding temperature will decrease.
Reply 2
Original post by elly2342
in an endothermic reaction the temperature of the mixture will increase and the surrounding temperature will decrease.

this is wrong the temperature of the reaction mixture will decrease I am certain of this as I have done the required practical to verify this
https://www.khanacademy.org/test-prep/mcat/chemical-processes/thermochemistry/a/endothermic-vs-exothermic-reactions
This might help :smile:
In an endothermic reaction the temperature of the test tube(for eg) would definitely fall, making it cooler, but I'm not sure if you'd say that the reaction mixture has become cooler.
Original post by Clace4life
https://www.khanacademy.org/test-prep/mcat/chemical-processes/thermochemistry/a/endothermic-vs-exothermic-reactions
In an endothermic reaction the temperature of the test tube(for eg) would definitely fall, making it cooler, but I'm not sure if you'd say that the reaction mixture has become cooler.

yes, you would.
In an endothermic reaction the chemical potential energy increases, while the kinetic (heat) energy decreases.
Original post by charco
yes, you would.
In an endothermic reaction the chemical potential energy increases, while the kinetic (heat) energy decreases.

Thanks! I did thermodynamics ages ago but it seems like I need some revision haha.
Reply 6
so just to confirm both the reaction mixture and surroundings get cooler?

Original post by charco
yes, you would.

Original post by Clace4life
Original post by sIime
so just to confirm both the reaction mixture and surroundings get cooler?

The surroundings are everything apart from the system under study. In terms of heat energy, it can flow from the system to surroundings and vice versa.
This means that if the system converts kinetic (heat) energy into chemical potential energy, then the particles get colder. Heat will then flow in from the surroundings to balance the temperature, with the result that both the system and surroundings get colder.
In an exothermic process the opposite happens.

Quick Reply

Latest