The Student Room Group

Do you have curly hair? [Hair updates - I think]

What do you do when it's all tangled up each morning and don't wanna use harmful chemicals everyday in the shower?

Or how do you make sure it stays clean and doesn't smell after 3 or 4 days of not using chemicals - so just hot water from the shower?

Anyone tried stuff like 'As I Am' coconut longterm or what do you use and how often?
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

My curly hair is tangled about 90% of the time to be honest.
I put oils in: argan oil and Jamaican black bean castor oil. Although I put minimal amounts of the castor oil and only apply a lot on the days I wash it, since it's sticky. Now I'm wondering why I'm even answering this because I am rubbish with hair. Also use this l'oreal anti-frizz serum, smells quite nice.
I personally haven't tried 'As I am' but have heard great things about it. My financial situation doesn't really allow me to spend much on hair products lmao.
Also about brushing it: this confuses me because some say it's bad to brush your hair when it's wet (because of hair loss apparently) but then it's also been warned not to brush your hair when dry, especially if it's curly. So now I'm wondering when can you brush it then?? I compromise by brushing it straight after the shower to get rid most of the tangles, then for the next few days just run my hands through it.
Good luck! Sorry for the crap advice
I have afro hair but leave in’s are good. Shea moisture does good products and they have a Jamaican black castor oil line - I use the leave in from that line.

Its thick though and has a fairly strong scent, but there are other leave in’s depending on your hair needs and texture.

I use shea moisture’s wash-out conditioner, curl smoothie and shampoo as well.

(There products are available on amazon if you wanted to check them out).

Cantu products are also good, don’t use them personally but have heard good things...

(You may have to check about the clean ingredients though because I’m not sure - but shea moisture are cruelty free)
(edited 3 years ago)
I don’t think there is a long term affect of using leave in conditioners. If your scalp was tingling or burning you probably are more sensitive - maybe to the fragrance or another ingredient in the product you used?

If it is fragrance or you suspect it is, look for products that have less in or are fragrance free.

But yeah, they do make your hair soft...
Final Fantasy;93536358]Hi thanks for your post. I've been researching various products and yesterday ordered some As I Am products from Amazon UK. I got the leave-in conditioner, the hair moisturiser and the coconut wash that everyone seems to be going on about - I read all the reviews and potential risks first. But anyway, I just tried the coconut wash and the moisturiser and oh my god I love the smell. Not too keen on the conditioner because for some reason my scalp is feeling a bit tingly but maybe because I left it on for too long. Currently, no tangles though and hair isn't dry either. Will continue using it for next few weeks to assess more long-term results.

[quote=The anti-frizz serum does that have harmful chemicals in it?

My hair isn't like the typical African hair (I'm asian) - it's just when it grows longer it starts getting curly, thick and tangled mess. Due to the pandemic I've not had a chance to get a haircut, but everyone keeps saying it looks nice it's like a natural perm and I should keep it. But it's such a damn mess to look after it so that's why I'm just wondering how people here do their hair rout

As many harmful chemicals as any other serum I guess. It just shouldn't be overused. The main ingredient is Argan extract
(my post turned out weird for some reason)

Original post by AnxiousNobody
Final Fantasy;93536358]Hi thanks for your post. I've been researching various products and yesterday ordered some As I Am products from Amazon UK. I got the leave-in conditioner, the hair moisturiser and the coconut wash that everyone seems to be going on about - I read all the reviews and potential risks first. But anyway, I just tried the coconut wash and the moisturiser and oh my god I love the smell. Not too keen on the conditioner because for some reason my scalp is feeling a bit tingly but maybe because I left it on for too long. Currently, no tangles though and hair isn't dry either. Will continue using it for next few weeks to assess more long-term results.

My hair isn't like the typical African hair (I'm asian) - it's just when it grows longer it starts getting curly, thick and tangled mess. Due to the pandemic I've not had a chance to get a haircut, but everyone keeps saying it looks nice it's like a natural perm and I should keep it. But it's such a damn mess to look after it so that's why I'm just wondering how people here do their hair rout

As many harmful chemicals as any other serum I guess. It just shouldn't be overused. The main ingredient is Argan extract
following bc interested
well my hair is kinky i guess so very curly. to avoid it being tangled in the morning at night time i use water, leave in conditioner and oils in my hair i then detangle it and put it in twists and in the morning i take the twists out and my hair is usually not tangled but if its a bit dry i just repeat using the water, leave in conditioner and oils. I also use aztec healing clay which makes my hair very soft and removes the smell and build up but only once a week or when im bothered to do it
Sleep in a satin bonnet or on a satin pillowcase.
Oh yeah forgot to mention, there's also a non-heat way of straightening your hair. It doesn't leave your hair poker straight like a straightener does but makes it much less frizzy. I'll try to describe although a video will be more helpful.
You wrap your hair completely around your head, putting it in place with bobby pins. Then wrap a scarf (preferably silk). You can sleep with it like that and hopefully you'll wake up with more manageable hair. Or if you don't want to do that keep it on for about an hour. The more you leave it the bigger the result.
I'm trying to paste a picture here, how do you do that?
bruh, i struggle with the same problem
Reply 11
so I had very long curly/ blackish hair. anti-frizz conditioners would help. I used to reduce the amount of times id wash it in a week.
I used to keep it oiled with homemade mixtures of different oils.
also, a good conditioner/shampoo range is Aussie. it's very natural and doesn't have anything harmful such as alcohols and or sulphates ( I think that can harm curly hair)

"Most shampoos that you can grab off the shelf contain SLS or sodium lauryl sulfate. It's a detergent that cleans the hair but unfortunately, it tends to strip away the natural oils that your scalp produces to protect your hair.
That means overexposure to SLS (i.e. shampooing day in and day out) will leave your hair dry and brittle.
Solution: Cut down to shampooing only twice a week, preferably with a product that doesn't contain SLS. Our invigorating shampoo is sulfate-free and blended with natural oils and other ingredients to keep moisture in while it cleans."
source:https://shop.frederickbenjamin.com/blogs/the-journal-mens-grooming-and-lifestyle-content/114732483-best-hair-care-tips-for-black-men

hope this helps :smile:
Reply 12
I tend to stay away from sulphate based ingredients because they dry my hair out and make it so itchy. I just had a look at all my conditioners and shampoos and only 1 had sulphates in it.
As for natural oils, it kinda depends on what I have, but normally its coconut oil, castor oil, carrot oil and sometimes a bit of olive oil.
Putting it on a couple of times a week works amazing.
Reply 13
I have defined ringlets which are only pretty when we maintained and this is my hair routine
. Wash hair twice a week and use leave in conditioner( I think I use Umberto Gianni)
. Only brush hair when wet and only use a wide tooth comb
. John Frieda frizz ease serum and Umberto Gianni curl jelly are my go to.
Hth x
when I was younger i had REAlLY curly hair and had a fringe.... and thick hair so a lot of it.... but now ive grown out of it because when i used straighteners for the first time, my hair just lost the curls, i do miss them but now my hair is wavy and thick and i have a lot of it lmao but it's all good.
Reply 15
I have curly hair (typical stereotypical mixed person hair/3c) to give some reference and this is what i do-
Firstly- you dont do you hair everyday because technically curly hair is always tangled because the ringlets curl together. At night, put your hair in a ponytail at the top of your head ("pinapple") and sleep on a satin pillowcase because cotton frizzes up your hair and sucks up the moisture.
Secondly, if you have actual curly hair (not wavey) so like a 3a and above, you're hair should not get dirty and smell after 3 or 4 days unless you've had a previous relaxer or texturisor because the oil from the scalp in curly hair means it takes a lot longer for the oil to travel down and make curly hair dirty. What i do is that once a week i will wash my hair with shampoo, use a conditioner (cantu) and detangle with my hands and a tangle teaser, use a leave in conditioner (shea moisture, camile rose, naughty are decent brands) then use an oil to seal in the moisture- argon oil or olive oil are good ones. Half way through the week, ill detangle my hair with conditioner and baso do all the steps not including shampoo in the shower.

Chemicals to look out for is sulphate in shampoos because they strip the curls a lot, and more so silicone in conditioners and leave in conditioners because they make it harder for your hair to absorb moisture, but i wouldnt worry about them atm tbh, just dont use devacurl.

I recommend you watch curly hair tutorials to get a better understanding of routine and tips. Hope that helped :smile:
I have curly hair, I use head and shoulders supreme and a coco and eve masque once a week. I use the coco and eve serum after and blow dry then go over with GHD. I wrap my hair up every night and sleep with a silk pillowcase, it stays really sleek and I can brush it out every day. I don’t need to add anything onto it but I do put a tiny bit of serum into in every day just to make it sleek and shiner. It doesn’t get tangled and greasy this way and looks smart, wrapping it up also makes the end wavy x
Yes I do have curly hair. I am using hask argon oil shampoo and conditioner right now and seems good. I also use hair mayonnaise and coconut oil to keep the curls from going frizzy. So it's not tangly I sometimes plait it at night, but yours might not be long enough for that
Reply 18
Deffos use a light conditioner to “shampoo” in the shower, between washes to refresh hair. Detangle when conditioner is in the hair and kind of like style it how you’d want it out the shower and rinse. Leave in conditioner (shea moisture castor oil leave in) and argan oil on mid/ends when youre out the shower and scrunch with a clean t shirt. Let air dry
I have curly hair but it doesn't tangle.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending