The Student Room Group

help

So I've been going through a lot of mental health and stuff over my sixth form period, I had to drop an alevel due to some problems I've had and have been stressing even more, as of now I'm stuck with only two alevels and epq, I've been thinking of going to a different college and starting over with three new alevels, as i know universities require three alevels in one sitting, and as well as my mental health issues and undiagnosed stuff I've been going through, I think it's better starting over I guess. Should i proceed with this, do you guys think? Should i just do one alevel in a gap year and then proceeed to uni?
I did something similar. I was at sixth form for a year doing A levels but a few weeks into my second year I decided to leave because it was making me stressed and just wasn't what I wanted to do anymore. So I have done an extra year in a different college doing a Btec, but I've just received an offer for uni in September. It is hard because you see all of your other friends go to uni etc but it is worth it in the end!
Reply 2
I was thinking of doing something similar I guess, but I'm already a few months into the second year and might as well complete these alevels which I'm quite comfortable with as of now, Once i do and probably go to a different college to do different subjects or whatever, will i still be able to use my old alevels the one that I am doing right now with the new ones I'll probably be doing later on in the UCAS application? and yeah I've been going through so much stress and mental health stuff over these past years
if you apply to unis that make offers based on ucas points rather than specific grades you could make up the points from your two a levels and epq and so you wouldn’t necessarily need a third a level at this point. obviously this would mean you would probably need to get quite high grades in what you’re doing now to make up for the points for the third a level you’re missing - but it would mean you wouldn’t have to repeat a year. also some uni courses offer the option of a foundation year which is an extra year at uni before you start the actual degree - but it lowers the entry grades by a lot and some unis only require two a levels for these courses! hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by abbeycoleman
if you apply to unis that make offers based on ucas points rather than specific grades you could make up the points from your two a levels and epq and so you wouldn’t necessarily need a third a level at this point. obviously this would mean you would probably need to get quite high grades in what you’re doing now to make up for the points for the third a level you’re missing - but it would mean you wouldn’t have to repeat a year. also some uni courses offer the option of a foundation year which is an extra year at uni before you start the actual degree - but it lowers the entry grades by a lot and some unis only require two a levels for these courses! hope this helps :smile:

Hey, I was thinking about that however I just think I'd be better of doing the three new alevels I guess, I am quite comfortable with the ones I am doing I guess, It's just that I've always wanted to get into kings and they require three in one sitting:frown: I do sound quite stupid and arrogrant as I am in this weird situatoin which was my fault I guess and could've avoided this I guess, I don't mind repeating as many years honestly to be honest, I've been through so much panic attacks these past three years and mental issuess honestly
(edited 3 years ago)
yeh there is always access courses as well if you didn't get the UCAS points you need this year
Reply 6
What's access courses?

Original post by Roseygirl1234
yeh there is always access courses as well if you didn't get the UCAS points you need this year
Original post by km_mk2
What's access courses?

A lot of colleges have started to do them now and they are quite popular with adults. There for people who either didn't do a level 3 course or didn't do well and its just basically to help them get into uni
Reply 8
If i do three new alevels in a new college over two new years, when i eventually apply to ucas should i use all the alevels I've aquired i guess? if that makes sense idk
Reply 9
Original post by Roseygirl1234
A lot of colleges have started to do them now and they are quite popular with adults. There for people who either didn't do a level 3 course or didn't do well and its just basically to help them get into uni

Ahh i see
Original post by km_mk2
Hey, I was thinking about that however I just think I'd be better of doing the three new alevels I guess, I am quite comfortable with the ones I am doing I guess, It's just that I've always wanted to get into kings and they require three in one sitting:frown: I do sound quite stupid and arrogrant as I am in this weird situatoin which was my fault I guess and could've avoided this I guess, I don't mind repeating as many years honestly to be honest, I've been through so much panic attacks these past three years and mental issuess honestly

if you think it would be better for your mental health to start afresh next year and do three new a levels then definitely do that!! you can go to uni at any age you don’t have to go this year, it’ll always be there as an option. if you complete more a levels you can still put the ones you are doing now on your UCAS application when you are applying - just put the dates of completion with them. you could also mention this in your personal statement and use it to your advantage that you’ve completed two sets of a levels in theory. hope everything works out, but i would definitely say do whatever makes you feel the most comfortable :smile:
Reply 11
Do you guys think it woould like bad if i say that I've completed two sets of alevels I guess, cause of the stuff i've been trhough and stuff i guess
Reply 12
bumpp

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending