The Student Room Group

Theory test help X

Iv got my theory test on 6th may and iv got a couple of questions.
1. On a scale of 1 to 10 how hard is it?
2. How did you revise?
3. When did you start revising?
4. How long did you revise for?
Thank you so much for any answers. X
Original post by SF2
Iv got my theory test on 6th may and iv got a couple of questions.
1. On a scale of 1 to 10 how hard is it?
2. How did you revise?
3. When did you start revising?
4. How long did you revise for?
Thank you so much for any answers. X

1. Depends on the person, I didn’t find it very difficult. The first section is just multiple choice and the questions are often common sense and the three other options (four for each question so one is right) are usually very absurd. There are the odd strange ones, like how far away behind your vehicle does your warning triangle have to go, and stuff like thst which you’ll need to know! The hazard perception bit takes a little getting used to

2. The DVSA Theory Test Kit app, it’s great it has everything you need to learn and practice questions for both sections! It’s like £5 I think

3. Like a week before oops 😂 I’d recommend giving some time in advance to make sure you understand it all propetly, I’m good at picking things up quickly!

4. Not very long, same as (3.) really
Cant legally drive but here are some top tips that will help you

Buy a up to date copy of the recommended book that will be useful
Use a marking pen to make brief notes and copy out key vocabulary
Read the whole book at least once looking at the road signs etc
Do several practice questions. You can make up your own ones based on the information in the book
Time yourself properly when testing your hazard perception ability
Make sure that your knowledge of the safety rules is up to the standards required by law
Be confident and positive it helps
Reply 3
One of the things to bear in mind with this theory study is that it never was intended to be an "academic" test. The government of the day does not want the ability of someone driving on a public road to be determined by their IQ. It is tempting to say it is pretty straightforward and you tend to find it easier if you prepare well for it. I hesitate because not only was the national theory pass rate declining pre-pandemic but also "effort levels" are extremely subjective. What one person might consider practising hard, another person would consider hardly making a serious attempt. For a general figure though, if you were able to apply what I would call focussed practice for 1 hour a day, and you kept that up for 2 weeks, I wouldn't mind betting you will be there or thereabouts. Try to think beyond the regurgitation of factual information though, the idea behind the theoretical knowledge is to be able to retrieve, recall and apply it when you are actually driving. If you simply remember it in your short-term memory for the purposes of a one-off theory test, you are unlikely to be able to make practical use of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending