The Student Room Group

Annoying drivers

What things do other drivers do on the roads that really annoy you?
And why?
Reply 1
Original post by Emma:-)
And why?

- Middle lane hogging on the motorway.

- The old twits who always do 40mph regardless of the speed limit. 60mph? Do 40! 30mph? Do 40!

- People who can't grasp switching fog lights off when there's someone directly behind them...
Original post by IWMTom
- Middle lane hogging on the motorway.

- The old twits who always do 40mph regardless of the speed limit. 60mph? Do 40! 30mph? Do 40!

- People who can't grasp switching fog lights off when there's someone directly behind them...

I hate that, it does my head in.
And if it's a 60mph road and you overtake them they look at you gone out. Even though they are only doing 40 and there's a clear road ahead of them. It happens on a bypass on my way to work a lot. Even though there is an overtaking lane so it's perfectly safe to overtake them.
For me it's people who sit up your arse that close that they may as well be in your passenger seat with you. And I usually find that I'm actually doing the speed limit.
Reply 4
And why?

People not having lights on in the rain, or when it's getting dark. Even when you flash them they have no idea!

Also people just not having any spatial awareness of what's going on around them.
Original post by ___ally
People not having lights on in the rain, or when it's getting dark. Even when you flash them they have no idea!

Also people just not having any spatial awareness of what's going on around them.

Oh yeah there's plenty of those around.
People who sit at 40/50 without reasons on back roads, then inexplicably speed up as soon as you move to pass them with incoming traffic bearing down on you. :colonhash:
Reply 7
Not quite people in a way but I don’t agree with 20 limits bl00dy everywhere. There are places it’s appropriate but it’s going nuts now.

But on that - you’re doing 20 in a 20, which no one else seems to do as you’ll look like the pied piper, and some twonk will overtake you - then do 45-50 in a 60 forcing you to overtake them, generally AGAIN as you’d already had to get past them before the 20!

That and motorbikes spanking past on the straights and then holding you up on corners.

Oh and cyclists running red lights, not wearing visible clothing or using lights/reflectors.

Edit..

People not looking in their mirrors when overtaking - if you take forever on a straight to decide to overtake a lorry you’re likely to get in the way of someone already overtaking!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by virgil1
Not quite people in a way but I don’t agree with 20 limits bl00dy everywhere. There are places it’s appropriate but it’s going nuts now.

But on that - you’re doing 20 in a 20, which no one else seems to do as you’ll look like the pied piper, and some twonk will overtake you - then do 45-50 in a 60 forcing you to overtake them, generally AGAIN as you’d already had to get past them before the 20!

I agree with that, I get why we brought them in in some places, schools, some estates, tricky roads ect. But you often feel it's political and more down to people petitioning the council... but the thing I suspect is that many of these people just don't want cars at all, if the council does make a stretch a 20, those exact same people start sending emails demanding it be 15, or now they want speed bumps, now they want a 'traffic calming' blockage or whatever.

there's still a fair few 20's around me from schools and things that are some years demolished :colonhash:
Reply 9
And why?

- not going the speed limit (if appropriate)
- braking every time they see another car
- indicating on roundabouts
- cutting them
- middle lane hogging
There's definitely more but I can't think of any
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by roo02
- not going the speed limit (if appropriate)
- braking every time they see another car
- indicating on roundabouts
- cutting them
There's definitely more but I can't think of any

do you mean not indicating on roundabouts?
People that immediately return to 70 on a smart motorway after passing a gantry displaying a lower variable speed limit (assuming they even bothered to slow down), and then dangerously tailgating people that are doing the posted speed limit until the next gantry with NSL sign or different posted limit. 20 mph speed limits on the motorway can be extremely dangerous imo due to not many people doing 20 (e.g. going from 50 to 20). HADECS should function as average speed cameras imo.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by RedGiant
HADECS should function as average speed cameras imo.

Don't you dare.
Original post by IWMTom
Don't you dare.

:colondollar: It probably wouldn't work anyway, since there is a grace period (varying by force) after changing gantry limits. Plus HADECS are probably way too expensive to put on every junction and gantry.
It'll come in time - there's already people banging on about climate change and moving to 60 limits to cut emissions, although I'd claim electric cars should be able to still do 70 at least on that logic!
https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/motorway-speed-limits-60mph-emissions-air-pollution-birmingham-m6-m1-b431028.html

Plus in Scotland a significant chunk of the A9, granted not the dual carriageway bits, are already enforced by average speed cameras. The gov claim it's reduced accidents however they're fiddling the figures as they also increased the HGV limit to 50mph which personally I think made a much bigger difference.

Just wait until new cars have limits built into them - THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by virgil1
It'll come in time - there's already people banging on about climate change and moving to 60 limits to cut emissions, although I'd claim electric cars should be able to still do 70 at least on that logic!
https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/motorway-speed-limits-60mph-emissions-air-pollution-birmingham-m6-m1-b431028.html

Plus in Scotland a significant chunk of the A9, granted not the dual carriageway bits, are already enforced by average speed cameras. The gov claim it's reduced accidents however they're fiddling the figures as they also increased the HGV limit to 50mph which personally I think made a much bigger difference.

Just wait until new cars have limits built into them - THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

Not to mention 24/7 government mileage tracking, ANPR at every junction...

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/chancellor-considers-road-pricing-to-cover-40-billion-tax-shortfall/
People who wait until just before the end of the cycle to move off at a green light. Usually because they’re on their phones.
People who forget their car has indicators, or people who leave their indicators on after turning and drive half a mile down the street before realising. Or even better, who don't realise until they reach their destination!
Reply 18
Original post by ___ally
do you mean not indicating on roundabouts?

hahaha yes I do, whoops

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending