The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

UWE or Sussex University

I want to study Psychology with Criminology at university and I am torn between UWE and Sussex...Which would you recommend? And where will I have a better experience?
Original post by Cait-Bryan
I want to study Psychology with Criminology at university and I am torn between UWE and Sussex...Which would you recommend? And where will I have a better experience?

Hello, thank you for your question.

As a current Sussex university student, I would say that the university has definitely met and indeed exceeded my initial expectations. Although, I do not study psychology per se, my subject (Medical Neuroscience) does offer significant degree of overlap in terms of module content with psychology and psychology-related degrees.

I have finished my 3rd Year, which involved study abroad. I have 2 years left at Sussex, including a Master's Year, which I definitely look forward to! Academically-speaking, I feel I have really developed my academic skills and have built my knowledge of neuroscience, including how the subject is applicable to everyday life. I also had a chance to significantly improve my job prospects, not only by working towards a degree qualification, but by working on campus for variety of university departments.

Based on my experience, while the university is not perfect, Sussex definitely looks out for their students. As someone who is care-experience and needs a bit more of financial, emotional and career-support, I can vouch for the quality of number of support services offered by the university.

Furthermore, student feedback, regarding all their courses & university life is collected and carefully reviewed on regular basis, each term, with measures being implemented to improve teaching practices and student experience.

Generally Brighton as a city can be said to be ethnically/ culturally diverse. Students from over 100 different countries study at Sussex, and students self-recognising as belonging to BAME (Black, Asian and minority ethnic) cultural background make a significant proportion of overall student population. Ethnic, cultural, and religious diversity is highly celebrated as Sussex, as is reflected by a high number of culturally-specific societies & events, and specific sources of support for ethnic minority & international students.

Moreover, Brighton is a lovely place to live. Easy access to beach, as well as plenty of green spaces on and off-campus, mean it is always easy to find a quiet place to relax!

Lastly, I would strongly recommend consulting University League Tables (specific for psychology, and psychology-related courses), since it may help you to make your decision about the best university place for your specific subject area. The link above provides ranking information regarding: the Overall score, Entry standards, Student satisfaction, Research quality, Research intensity, and Graduate prospects (2021 year).

Let me know if you have any specific questions - I will be more than happy to share my personal experiences, and my thoughts.

Kasia (4th Year Sussex University Student; Medical Neuroscience MSCI with a Year Abroad)
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply, my main concern is with accommodation as I’ve seen loads of negative reviews on it and I feel I’ll be paying a lot for such low standard it seems... also there is little info on what shared bathrooms are like on the website. What was your experience in halls and is the WiFi as awful as it sounds like?
Original post by Cait-Bryan
Thank you for your reply, my main concern is with accommodation as I’ve seen loads of negative reviews on it and I feel I’ll be paying a lot for such low standard it seems... also there is little info on what shared bathrooms are like on the website. What was your experience in halls and is the WiFi as awful as it sounds like?

Hello, thank you for all your questions.

In terms of shared bathrooms, these differ depending on which accommodation you are referring to. It will be anywhere from sharing 2 showers + 2 toilets between 12 people (e.g., in Park Village), to sharing a bathroom with only 1 or 2 people (e.g., in East Slope). Personally, I have only lived in en-suite flats. However, based on comments from other students, generally students do not find the sharing situation all that problematic. You do have a sink in your room (in all shared accommodation types, apart from East Slope), and students do generally have different schedules. Hence, in most flats, it is fairly unlikely that you will have to wait long, if at all, to access the bathroom facilities.

Myself, I have not really had many issues with wifi connection (apart from a couple of days, which we have been pre-warned about). For context, I have lived in Northfield and Lewes Court. Some flats (particularly East Slope, Camber), have reported a bit more issues with the internet connection. But, still, this is generally a problem that can be resolved by the IT services. In the instance, of wifi being down, reliable internet connection will always be available in several study spaces available on campus, e.g., the library.

I hope this answers your questions. Let me know if I can be of any more help. :smile:

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student, MSci with a Year Abroad).
Reply 4
Thank you so much for your replies :smile:
Reply 5
Thank you for all of your replies :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending